Aidan Morris

Xavier.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

I saw that too, had to join in.

I gotta wonder what that’s like for players when all of a sudden they get bombarded with Canadian flags. You’d expect this from like, Brazil or somewhere, but Canada? 

Hope he’s seeing all this and also all the Americans laughing at what an insignificant loss he would be. Crazy that if he does commit to us there’s a fairly likely chance he’ll have to face his birth nation in under 3 weeks time. Talk about a revenge tour.

I’m wondering if Herdman is using OneSoccer as a mouthpiece.  They want him to commit, he is wavering on making a decision, so this type of public campaign puts ultimate pressure.  Wouldnt be surprised if this was Wheeler’s source. 

29 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I’m wondering if Herdman is using OneSoccer as a mouthpiece.  They want him to commit, he is wavering on making a decision, so this type of public campaign puts ultimate pressure.  Wouldnt be surprised if this was Wheeler’s source. 

I doubt he's aware of OneSoccer

33 minutes ago, solsous said:

Who would he displace in the starting 11?

At the moment if Herdman is continuing with the 3-5-2 its' Staq/Kone/Oso and he probably replaces Oso with Kone and Staq playing in front of him.

Now the only reason I believe he's really replacing Osorio is because I don't think he'll be ready to play in Nations League and so you have a natural opening there to entice Morris with.

19 minutes ago, VinceA said:

At the moment if Herdman is continuing with the 3-5-2 its' Staq/Kone/Oso and he probably replaces Oso with Kone and Staq playing in front of him.

Now the only reason I believe he's really replacing Osorio is because I don't think he'll be ready to play in Nations League and so you have a natural opening there to entice Morris with.

My sense is, Herdman has to promise him a starting spot for him to commit.

Even if he's called up for the Gold Cup for the USMNT it doesn't make much sense to accept.

It's very clear he is at best third on the future US #6 depth chart behind Adams and Cardoso. Second A-team window in a row that Johnny Cardoso was named ahead of Morris. This doesn't include the bunch of midfielders they have coming up at U20 level.

Also, the US has often preferred to move someone like Musah or McKennie to the #6 when Adams was hurt, rather than using a Cardoso or a Morris. That is almost certainly what they will do in Nations League. That drops Morris (and Cardoso) even further down.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:57 PM, Soccerpro2 said:

If I'm him, I'm thinking Canada makes me a regular for the next decade alongside players like Kone, Davies and David.

With the U.S there's no guarantee of ever making the squad, and their pool gets deeper every day.

Given he's a born and raised American, obviously his preference would be the U.S but I think he's seriously considering that the U.S isn't the best move for him.

This is the kind of comment my earlier comment was directed at. I have never seen this guy play, but a guy being a regular starter in MLS for a season and a half makes him a regular for the next decade? Mark Anthony Kaye started his national team journey when he was in USL, which I think shouldn't happen anymore, and he reached the height of MLS All Star, which I belive is higher than Aidan Morris, but less than 6 years after his (early) debut a lot of people are over him and think his days are numbered. But this Aidan Morris guy is going to stroll to 10 years worth of caps? He must be a lot better than I assume. Or our prospects for new players is a lot more dire than I assume.

This is not to say he won't be able to achieve 10 years worth of caps, but rather that it shouldn't just be assumed. I've probably seen 30 players in the last 5 years on this board have a decade of caps assumed by one poster or another (granted some are dual nationals that didn't commit to us).

Edited by Kent

58 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is the kind of comment my earlier comment was directed at. I have never seen this guy play, but a guy being a regular starter in MLS for a season and a half makes him a regular for the next decade? Mark Anthony Kaye started his national team journey when he was in USL, which I think shouldn't happen anymore, and he reached the height of MLS All Star, which I belive is higher than Aidan Morris, but less than 6 years after his (early) debut a lot of people are over him and think his days are numbered. But this Aidan Morris guy is going to stroll to 10 years worth of caps? He must be a lot better than I assume. Or our prospects for new players is a lot more dire than I assume.

This is not to say he won't be able to achieve 10 years worth of caps, but rather that it shouldn't just be assumed. I've probably seen 30 players in the last 5 years on this board have a decade of caps assumed by one poster or another (granted some are dual nationals that didn't commit to us).

I think in that context he is talking about Morris backing himself and seeing the opportunity to play for Canada for the next decade. There is nothing wrong with that, infact if a player doesnt have that self belief that would be much worse. We cant half self aware football players, the industry would fall apart!

To your point, nothing is guaranteed in football. Players fizzle in and out of form and sometimes in and out of obscurity. We can't even say phonies and David will be playing for Canada in 10 years time. As a fan, I think it's still fair to see the potential in a player like Morris to be available for the next 10 years, all being well form wise to merit it. It's just not ever going to be a given.

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Well if there's ever a time we could offer a starting spot, it's a summer with two tournaments alongside Kone and Eustaquio with an injured Osorio, out of form Kaye, likely-to-retire Atiba, etc etc

I really worry about players that have very limited connection (emotional/psychological) to the country.  Most notably, to the true fans of Canadian soccer.  However, there are players that can switch on once they wear the maple on their chests. 

9 hours ago, Kent said:

It's always about how these kids see themselves as players, not what they actually are. Morris is playing chicken with the USMNT because he clearly disagrees with them on how important a player he should be. He doesn't see himself as a gritty depth piece MLS player who is just the next man up- no 21 y/o MLS player thinks that. I think Morris would consider his career an abject failure if it mirrored Kaye's, even though if it did, it would still be a relatively successful career, but this is a player who expects europe in his near future, and top leagues down the line.

It's the same thing with the new kid Montreal acquired in the Kamal Miller trade- Bryce Duke. He's already talking about his next move to Europe before really even being that solid in Montreal yet. Credit to him, he's a lauded young talent and he looks like he has another level in him, but these kids make decisions based on where they think they'll end up, and as young professional athletes, you always expect to reach the top levels.

Like Morris did the whole Gen Z subtweet IG post with the "I'm gonna go where I'm wanted" thing when we called him to our prelim roster. That's not something a player says unless they think that they deserve to be clamoured over by national teams.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Like Morris did the whole Gen Z subtweet IG post with the "I'm gonna go where I'm wanted" thing when we called him to our prelim roster. That's not something a player says unless they think that they deserve to be clamoured over by national teams.

Well he didn’t say that. Someone was trolling.

16 hours ago, Kent said:

It's not being a regular starter in MLS, it's his play while being a regular starter in MLS. He's been really, really good, starting with his performance in MLS Cup final in 2020.

I would have him on my depth chart with Osorio right behind Staq and Kone in midfield. The kid is is 21 years old, and the has a really high ceiling, but more importantly has been playing really strongly in MLS for a while now. If this kid was a born and raised Canadian, people on this board would be overhyping the hell out of him. I watch him pretty frequently and I really rate him.

We're a country that trots out Liam Fraser in qualification games in midfield. We're not as good/deep as some people seem to think we are.