WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

24 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Meanwhile, Mexico and El Salvador are each down to 10 a side, second half, Mexico up a goal. Stupid second yellow for the Mexican CB. Will miss the match against the US. Might be a tough window for Mexico in November.

2-0 now. Bags of drinks thrown, laser pointers in players' eyes, the Salvadorans acting like animals behind their own keeper.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

This is the full reaction if you want to see them go from supreme happiness to unending pain.

I don't even get this.....instead of people watching the game live people in Panama watch these guys watch the game live? Granted, they are entertaining, but probably not in the way they are intending to be.

3 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I’ve lost my voice and it’s the sweatiest train ride I’ve ever been on, but I am a happy man. Great performance and result. Fantastic atmosphere. Such a great evening. 

Yes, other than the rediculous lineups to get in, It was perfect night.    I would add,  there was no weather advantage tonight for anyone because it was the kind of night whereby I should have worn a short sleeve shirt and shorts.  No wind or breeze whatsoever. The central americans must have loved it.  

i have to stop and remind myself and put things into context sometimes when i watch our games and see these missed chances that we get.  Like in the first half or in Mexico etc.   Thats  a sign that we are a good team because if you look back at our history since 86 and try to recall all those games; try to remember how many chances we would get in our typical WCQ matches in Concacaf.  I’ll answer that with this:  we never created many chances and those that we would think were good scoring opportunities, were really only half chances.  And they would be very few.  

Now when i watch a chance like the one Miller had in Jamaica, or the few that had David tonight, i throw my hands in air but then i have to stop and think:  good players get scoring chances; mediocre players dont.  Good teams create scroring chances and mediocre teams dont.   I just watched ES-Mex,  i saw proof right there why ES are nowhere close to us.  They cant create anything.

i can safely say, that it would take something momumental now to not qualify for Qatar.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Hope Drew Fischer doesn't get killed tonight. Seriously. Just awarded another penalty.

Just watched the highlights, he made the correct calls on the cards and PK. It was a really stupid 2nd yellow by Araujo.

That said, I still don't know that it makes sense to have all of the Refs from the countries represented by 8 teams in the final round, which appears to be the case from what I've seen. I would have thought that the refs should be from the nations in Concacaf who already eliminated, but maybe they figure that all the best refs are from those 8 countries and none of them are from Guatemala, Haiti, T&T, Cuba, Curacao etc

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just watched the highlights, he made the correct calls on the cards and PK. It was a really stupid 2nd yellow by Araujo.

That said, I still don't know that it makes sense to have all of the Refs from the countries represented by 8 teams in the final round, which appears to be the case from what I've seen. I would have thought that the refs should be from the nations in Concacaf who already eliminated, but maybe they figure that all the best refs are from those 8 countries and none of them are from Guatemala, Haiti, T&T, Cuba, Curacao etc

I think that they tried once to get refs from other regions and i dont know why that stopped.   There were some previous games canada played in concacaf (cant recall if it was WCQ or GC) that were referreed by UEFA refs.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't even get this.....instead of people watching the game live people in Panama watch these guys watch the game live? Granted, they are entertaining, but probably not in the way they are intending to be.

The moment at the 1:29:00 is pricless..  Watch the guy throw his jacket and go ballistic.   At 1:30:00 it looks like he is going to kill someone.  Then he rips off his tie at 1:31:00.   

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, BigMo said:

Tonight was by far the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at BMO. Overwhelmingly red and incredible supportive home crowd. Only way is up from here and it really pleased me to see so many kids at the game. They’ll grown in a world where this team is a force. What a night for us and for future of football in Canada.

It's between this and the USA win for me. 

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I thank Gawd that we've finally reached the point in this region where we've outgrown all the CONCACRAPing that's be allowed to go on in CONCACRAP for too long.  If that's sounds harsh it's because you're on the wrong side of progress. 

I just can't find a way to be nice about this.  It's overdue and will be to the benefit of every, single, nation in this region., included those who've benefited by the practice in the past. 

I think not really because if you're winning, you have to let the others do the crap that can get them yellows and keep the result as your prize. 

So Henry should move away from the corner. Stay focused. If you're fouled stay down and let the rival squirm. Most definitely get the game stopped if they spit. 

It shouldn't be the case but speaking Spanish in Concacaf is useful for dealing with fragile refs. Osorio, then Piette. And the Portuguese guys seem to try too. 

Believe it or not we get this in Spain with Gol TV for the games they don't have rights to. It's like watching the radio. Real Madrid TV does it too. They track matches without showing the field, can't imagine how it gets any audience but it must. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Looking at this window, I know we would have been better off losing to Mexico and beating Jamaica... but it's hard not to be at least satisfied with the way things have gone. I think the point at Azteca means more than just a point in the table, even if they didn't follow it up with the best performance.

I say absolutely being one of the few ever to take a point from Azteca means enough to forgive two points from Mex/Jam. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Looking at this window, I know we would have been better off losing to Mexico and beating Jamaica... but it's hard not to be at least satisfied with the way things have gone. I think the point at Azteca means more than just a point in the table, even if they didn't follow it up with the best performance.

Fuck that.  The performance in the Azteca that night, even more so than the score, set down a marker for the boys and put all of CONCACAF on notice!  As you said, this really was so much more than just a point.  They stood toe to toe and then punched the bully in the nose.