WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

Can someone actually explain to me why Brym keeps getting minutes?

Because he isn’t good enough to be getting hours. 😉

I would prefer Akindele get the waste-time minutes myself unless they really believe Brym is a major prospect for the future 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

VAR could also have decided that the ball was in fact out on the Davies goal and have called it back. 

Lucky, in that play, that the linesman was right on top of it, watch the play. He is very close, looking down on the ball, and waves it good immediately. You have to appreciate that was a call in our favour as it was near to out or in fact, out.

I didn't think the ball was even close to being out.  It looked to me like the middle of the ball was over the line the whole time, so I think the linesman had no trouble calling it in.

For those who are unclear on it, the same rule applies to all lines on the field.  The ball has to be entirely beyond the vertical plane on the outside of the line to be out of the area.  If that was the goal line instead of the sideline, it would never have been called a goal.  So, I don't think that VAR would have screwed us unless the official didn't know the rules.

That said, the linesman could have screwed us on the call, so I guess we were lucky that he didn't.

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I would prefer Akindele get the waste-time minutes myself unless they really believe Brym is a major prospect for the future 

I'm guessing that they do consider Brym a future prospect.  Herdman probably has 2026 in mind even during this cycle.

12 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I didn't think the ball was even close to being out.  It looked to me like the middle of the ball was over the line the whole time, so I think the linesman had no trouble calling it in.

For those who are unclear on it, the same rule applies to all lines on the field.  The ball has to be entirely beyond the vertical plane on the outside of the line to be out of the area.  If that was the goal line instead of the sideline, it would never have been called a goal.  So, I don't think that VAR would have screwed us unless the official didn't know the rules.

That said, the linesman could have screwed us on the call, so I guess we were lucky that he didn't.

That is always something that I see difference of opinion on.  The pic below is the situation I hear debated all the time.   According to my understanding of the rules, the ball is still in bounds because the whole of the ball has not crossed the invisible dotted line drawn upwards from the outside edge of the touch line.  But many people think that if you can see green between the ball and the line (ie. if the part in contact with the ground has gone past the line) it is out.  

I think it is safe to say that Phonzie’s ball last night was in this situation.  It hadn’t rolled completely past the line but you would probably have seen green between the bottom of the ball and the line if you were in the right position.  In my experiences, these balls are often called out despite still being in according to the rules.  Fortunately for us, they got it right last night.  

D4A59503-A4BB-44AB-B482-441594C14C87.jpeg

10 hours ago, RS said:

Which coach is that?

Ok, Herdman has had three and a half years, we only started playing well and getting results above our level in the fourth. 

But are saying that is fair to harp about a coach who had mediocre results in a short time (Zambrano), and think that is comparable to someone who was allowed to be mediocre for much longer? 

I just assume you are using the standard you have for yourself.

31 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It's fair to question whether Brym should be the player that came into the last few games in those dying moments of the game. I, like probably most on here, would've preferred to have seen Millar back out there.

But we should also keep in mind what that role is, as basically the last forward coming in off the bench. I really don't think Brym sees the field in a scenario where we desperately need to score a goal. In that case I bet the lineup gets shuffled a bit and a more experienced player comes in. So when he's coming in, at that point his primary role is more or less to run his ass off and work for the team.  Any added offensive production is a bonus.

To a more casual observer it's a thankless role that will rarely get you many plaudits.  But it's one that's certainly going to be noticed by all your teammates and coaches.  It's also a role that not every player (particularly veterans) even wants to fill. So in my opinion it's a more nuanced conversation than simply saying "Why is he playing?  Other players are better than him!"

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok, Herdman has had three and a half years, we only started playing well and getting results above our level in the fourth. 

But are saying that is fair to harp about a coach who had mediocre results in a short time (Zambrano), and think that is comparable to someone who was allowed to be mediocre for much longer? 

I think that people are discounting Zambrano because he has shown his true level of professionalism with his Twitter posts in the 3.5 years post dismissal.  He needs to move on.

10 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Not that we should consider ourselves a bunch of angles. I think we out CONCACAF’d them on the night. Parking Henry next to the corner flag as close as legally allowed was definitely on purpose. Rather enjoyed that. These teams are mentally fragile when you use their own dark arts against them.

About 2 hours ago I had a laughing attack thinking about Henry. He was just there, like a statue, the guy backs into him, but when the other Panamanian goes over and pushes him he doesn't budge, he is rock solid. It was funny as shit.

Of course the ref could have gone over and told him to move, and the initial incident could have seen a yellow to Henry and another to the pushy rival.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I thought Zambrano was okay. 

As far as our current manager goes, we can certainly get into his tactics a bit but there is no way around stating this silver tongued leprechaun successfully recruited a vast swath of our current player base. No understating that.

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

(And they say you can judge an artist by their ability to draw a circle…)

Makes me think, if I there were an option, that we could all do locker room diagrams on our posts, would be fun.

That was the legend of Giotto, by the way, he's a kid looking after sheep in the hills above Florence, and the painter Cimabue sees him drawing sheep with a rock in the dirt. And "discovers" him.

Then, when he's more famous, when asked to bid for an art commission, they say he went to the client and drew a perfect circle, and got the job.

It's all apocryphal, but charming stuff.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Totally agree with your first point about judging Zambrano too harshly considering his short stint in the job, but calling Herdman mediocre seems equally unfair. Sure, he's not a tactical genius, but he's been very good in that arena--surprisingly good, most of us would agree--and has been excellent in several other areas.  

Starting 11, if they are healthy for the match versus Costa Rica:

Crepeau

Johnston Vittoria Miller

Tajon Osorio Eustaquio Laryea Davies

David Larin

--

Oso is a better option than Kaye at the moment.  Might be controversial, but I agree with Kevin Kilbane when he says that Maxime is our #1 (and the best in MLS). I can understand wanting to start Atiba, but I feel that Richie brings a lot more creativity, and he is a pain-in-the-ass for the opposition. I'd even consider having Davies tuck in behind Larin and David, and give him some license to roam and cause havoc.

Off the bench: Kaye, Hoillet, Atiba, Kennedy, Henry, Cava

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Starting 11, if they are healthy for the match versus Costa Rica:

Crepeau

Johnston Vittoria Miller

Tajon Osorio Eustaquio Laryea Davies

David Larin

--

Oso is a better option than Kaye at the moment.  Might be controversial, but I agree with Kevin Kilbane when he says that Maxime is our #1 (and the best in MLS). I can understand wanting to start Atiba, but I feel that Richie brings a lot more creativity, and he is a pain-in-the-ass for the opposition. I'd even consider having Davies tuck in behind Larin and David, and give him some license to roam and cause havoc.

Off the bench: Kaye, Hoillet, Atiba, Kennedy, Henry, Cava

JH is for sure giving it back to Milan, it’s his cycle.

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nah, I never even brought up Zambrano. I was just curious as to who coached for five years and did nothing in the first four.

After the bad blood last night, it's probably a good thing that we don't play in Panama until the last match of the round. 

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves here, we would need to keep in mind that red card suspensions do carry over into the World Cup. 

Why are people shitting on Brym.  Granted I was in Section 120 last night, so opposite end from where we were attacking 2nd half, but Brym looked like he was Panama fits most of the times he had the ball.  

There was the run down the right side where he sent in that ball that Kaye was almost able to walk in.  There was the moment he went 1-on-3 with Panamanian defenders and we came away with the ball.

I was impressed with him last night.  With no Cav and no Larin this window, we can't complain about his performances.