WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

More important than the draw in Mexico. They won and won big time. Canada has the most goals scored and the second best GD, important for potential tiebreakers. We need three points in the next round to keep it going, four points would be good and with six points, you can book that trip to Qatar early ;)

Edited by finchster

59 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Believe it or not we get this in Spain with Gol TV for the games they don't have rights to. It's like watching the radio. Real Madrid TV does it too. They track matches without showing the field, can't imagine how it gets any audience but it must. 

Maybe you still watch the game on mute but listen to the more entertaining and blatantly biased commentary?

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I think that they tried once to get refs from other regions and i dont know why that stopped.   There were some previous games canada played in concacaf (cant recall if it was WCQ or GC) that were referreed by UEFA refs.  

We aren't going to get the other regions refs at this juncture since all regions are still involved in qualifying. UEFA I guess finishes next month (which is going to feel weird, I am so used to UEFA qualifying going on for months/years after Canada is eliminated...). But other than Comnebol (where they pretty much have no choice but to go with refs from the other nations because the whole thing is one giant single group), I'm not aware that the other regions use refs for group matches who are from the other countries in the same qualifying group. Maybe Oceania does it, who knows, it's not like I've been paying close attention to their region's matches.

It was a funny feeling when Panama went up early, I didn’t worry at all. Felt fairly neutral. Knew this Canadian team would create a bunch of chances with their offensive firepower. We are spoilt with the football we are watching. Makes me laugh to think of all the years of watching Canada MAYBE creating a couple of half-chances. This team is built completely different.

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't even get this.....instead of people watching the game live people in Panama watch these guys watch the game live? Granted, they are entertaining, but probably not in the way they are intending to be.

Same thing is happening in Canada and US. One Canuck is JJD on youtube. I don't get it

Edited by Sal333

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Same thing is happening in Canada and US. One Canuck is JJD on youtube. I don't get it

True, but he's just a kid doing it for fun out of his bedroom (or parent's basement), so I get that. This Panamanian stuff looks like a professional production at a television studio with some money poured into it with multiple cameras, directors and of course the all-important chicken wings and popcorn they are gulping down on set. It's a bit like if TSN, due to not being able the show the Canada game decided instead to put Wileman, Caldwell, Kilbane and De Guzman on a couch in a studio eating KFC and Orville Redenbacher as they watch the game and broadcast that instead.

Edited by Gian-Luca

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

True, but he's just a kid doing it for fun out of his bedroom (or parent's basement), so I get that. This Panamanian stuff looks like a professional production at a television studio with some money poured into it with multiple cameras, directors and of course the all-important chicken wings and popcorn they are gulping down on set. It's a bit like if TSN, due to not being able the show the Canada game decided instead to put Wileman, Caldwell, Kilbane and De Guzman on a couch in a studio eating KFC and Orville Redenbacher as they watch the game and broadcast that instead.

Can I watch that?

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Many people have more than one TV set, or have a TV set and a lap top so they watch the game muted and have the audio of the watch-along playing. Like I mentioned I don't get it but I see a trend and it wouldn't surprise me if TSN tried it.

14 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Many people have more than one TV set, or have a TV set and a lap top so they watch the game muted and have the audio of the watch-along playing. Like I mentioned I don't get it but I see a trend and it wouldn't surprise me if TSN tried it.

In the NHL playoffs for the Leafs (and eventually Habs) games, Sportsnet had a Youtube watch-along. It was a split-screen with Steve Dangle providing commentary, and the game showing on the other half.

It was pretty cool, but would only work if you were the rights holder.

Got back home(Ottawa)at 3:00 last night after the long drive down and back.  Was too exhausted to read through this thread until this morning.  What a night, what a moment, what a team!!

Easily the best soccer game I have ever been too (and yes I’ll be that guy, I’ve been to 2 world cups).  I know so many people who were watching on tv who barely follow the program, people who are huge hockey fans that stayed on this game over the Leafs-Habs, texting me or in a group chat how insane the game was.  I think what is important to note, is that it’s not that we win or are competitive, but that we bring such an offensive flare to the pitch.  It’s exciting to watch.  Players are exciting to watch.  Add in national pride to the equation and it’s no wonder that people are getting behind this team.  If the CSA was smart, they’d announce today tickets go on sale tomorrow for Edmonton.  Cash in on the momentum.

We seem to have a lot more toughness and swagger.  How many of these games have seen both teams have a baseball style melee at some point?  We aren’t taking anymore shit from the Honduras’, Panamas and El Salvador’s of the region.  We push back.  Great to see.

The great thing about the 3 game windows is our depth.  With how deep we can go on the roster, you can see in both the El Salvador game and last night versus Panama they were gassed.  It’s not coincidence we ran away in those games.  This format actually benefits us in that regard.  And this is on top of missing 6-7 guys who could have been in our starting 11.

Lastly, Alphonso Davies…Jesus Christ!!

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

i can safely say, that it would take something momumental now to not qualify for Qatar.

On paper, based on talent and every simulation, we qualify for Qatar.  The only obstacles in our way are potato fields, no VAR, brown envelopes/corrupt refs and of course your classic CONCACAF shit (piss bags, spitting, etc....)

Every team that is scouting us knows we struggle on bad fields and not letting the game develop a good flow.  That's been our main weakness.  We can expect the worst for the next games in Central America.

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

Got back home(Ottawa)at 3:00 last night after the long drive down and back.  Was too exhausted to read through this thread until this morning.  What a night, what a moment, what a team!!

Easily the best soccer game I have ever been too (and yes I’ll be that guy, I’ve been to 2 world cups).  I know so many people who were watching on tv who barely follow the program, people who are huge hockey fans that stayed on this game over the Leafs-Habs, texting me or in a group chat how insane the game was.  I think what is important to note, is that it’s not that we win or are competitive, but that we bring such an offensive flare to the pitch.  It’s exciting to watch.  Players are exciting to watch.  Add in national pride to the equation and it’s no wonder that people are getting behind this team.  If the CSA was smart, they’d announce today tickets go on sale tomorrow for Edmonton.  Cash in on the momentum.

We seem to have a lot more toughness and swagger.  How many of these games have seen both teams have a baseball style melee at some point?  We aren’t taking anymore shit from the Honduras’, Panamas and El Salvador’s of the region.  We push back.  Great to see.

The great thing about the 3 game windows is our depth.  With how deep we can go on the roster, you can see in both the El Salvador game and last night versus Panama they were gassed.  It’s not coincidence we ran away in those games.  This format actually benefits us in that regard.  And this is on top of missing 6-7 guys who could have been in our starting 11.

Lastly, Alphonso Davies…Jesus Christ!!

At some point last night I stood there thinking that its only been five-ish years since being forced to watch shitty Floroball.

The mentality of this team is something else...

I think ref last night sold himself on the idea that he was going to have a non controversial match. Like “if I hold my cards, call the occasion foul, don’t give any penalties, then my name won’t be on the headlines” 

Well that’s great and all, and to be frank probably better than most of the CONCACAF officiating we get, but still not the right answer. The players are ultimately going to determine the number of things that need to get called. You cannot back down from big decisions just cause it puts your name in the headlines.

The real piece here should be they let a player get spat on and still missed it, which is shameful