WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Octavio Zambrano probably thinks he could do a better job.

That is not fair and also not very well thought out. 

We are talking about a coach who has taken almost 5 years to start doing a "good" job, say last spring we started to see the results.

Remember we were also out of the final 6 for WC qualifying until Covid and the president of Concacaf saved us.

Octavio Zambrano or most coaches probably think if they are allowed to do piss all in terms of results for 4 years, and then are given another year on top, THAT year after that they probably could do a better job. 

10 hours ago, B_Leaf said:

What a game...love this team.

Herdman was excellent...the substitutions to bring Kaye and Adekugbe in at the right time were genius.  The "cramping" by Crepeau giving Herdman time to huddle with the guys was big.  But Davies turned the game on its head and we found a level of domination rarely seen in this game.

In these qualifiers if there had been VAR how many penalty kicks would we have been awarded?  If this is World Cup standard, I think we would get two for sure last night.  Hopefully in the not so distant future VAR is used because the only way these teams can stop our attack is committing fouls. 

Something else that stood out last night was our set pieces...big improvement.  A lot of danger on those corners.

VAR could also have decided that the ball was in fact out on the Davies goal and have called it back. 

Lucky, in that play, that the linesman was right on top of it, watch the play. He is very close, looking down on the ball, and waves it good immediately. You have to appreciate that was a call in our favour as it was near to out or in fact, out. 

Also: we got out of there with how many cards? After our bench cleared for a silly tussle near the corner flag. And then other complaints to the ref. And Herdman too, who was basically telling either the linesman or the 4th official to go F-off after the non-call on the Davies penalty appeal.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

VAR could also have decided that the ball was in fact out on the Davies goal and have called it back. 

Lucky, in that play, that the linesman was right on top of it, watch the play. He is very close, looking down on the ball, and waves it good immediately. You have to appreciate that was a call in our favour as it was near to out or in fact, out. 

Also: we got out of there with how many cards? After our bench cleared for a silly tussle near the corner flag. And then other complaints to the ref. And Herdman too, who was basically telling either the linesman or the 4th official to go F-off after the non-call on the Davies penalty appeal.

Truly those are fair points.  I don't think VAR would have been able to over turn the officials call on the Davies goal. It was very close but I don't think the whole of the ball completely crossed the line...you could see green under the ball though from the pitch side.  Also I thought Canada played a clean game, what foul would have been a yellow.  I cant think of one.  The bench maybe.

One the other hand if Canada doesn't break through in this game, those non calls would have been the conversation with merit.

22 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Can someone actually explain to me why Brym keeps getting minutes?

I’m surprised Brym is still getting so much hate on here. I agree that he probably didn’t deserve the minutes, but he’s shown pretty well in my opinion. Had that terrible cross against Jamaica and could run a little harder defensively but he did a good job keeping possession against Mexico and Panama. 

To answer your question though, I’m assuming Herdman sees Millar as more of a winger and Brym as a striker, so Brym becomes the replacement for David.

1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yeah we won but there was at least 2 if not 3 penalties that should have been called. 

I expect at least one non-call a game but like how do you justify it? 

I think, in the end it was 1. The second was marginal and Eustaquio was lucky not to go in the book for the third which was a not-so-well disguised dive. By reputation he doesn’t call many penalties so while I still think he missed the first, I sort of understand where it all came from.

The bigger thing for me was the persistent infringement, not going to the book when it was called for. Someone gets an elbow to the head and you called a foul, it’s a yellow, shouldn’t be any way around that.  And what is the point of waving your arms around and saying “no more!” on three separate occasions? Clearly it’s all just a ruse to test boundaries. He was just dumb enough to play into it. 

Not that we should consider ourselves a bunch of angles. I think we out CONCACAF’d them on the night. Parking Henry next to the corner flag as close as legally allowed was definitely on purpose. Rather enjoyed that. These teams are mentally fragile when you use their own dark arts against them.

4 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I think, in the end it was 1. The second was marginal and Eustaquio was lucky not to go in the book for the third which was a not-so-well disguised dive. By reputation he doesn’t call many penalties so while I still think he missed the first, I sort of understand where it all came from.

The bigger thing for me was the persistent infringement, not going to the book when it was called for. Someone gets an elbow to the head and you called a foul, it’s a yellow, shouldn’t be any way around that.  And what is the point of waving your arms around and saying “no more!” on three separate occasions? Clearly it’s all just a ruse to test boundaries. He was just dumb enough to play into it. 

Not that we should consider ourselves a bunch of angles. I think we out CONCACAF’d them on the night. Parking Henry next to the corner flag as close as legally allowed was definitely on purpose. Rather enjoyed that. These teams are mentally fragile when you use their own dark arts against them.

This is so fucking true!

36 minutes ago, sstackho said:

I'm starting to think that Drake is a cardboard cutout.  Or there are strict protocols when posing for a picture with him.

image.png.a734ea95a10814f97ce474bd58fddf7e.png

image.png.e59ac2be70cab3976da9cdd35dd1bdbb.png

Seems like these will be rolling in all day. Not sure what Drizzy is doing here LOL

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is not fair and also not very well thought out. 

We are talking about a coach who has taken almost 5 years to start doing a "good" job, say last spring we started to see the results.

Remember we were also out of the final 6 for WC qualifying until Covid and the president of Concacaf saved us.

Octavio Zambrano or most coaches probably think if they are allowed to do piss all in terms of results for 4 years, and then are given another year on top, THAT year after that they probably could do a better job. 

Herdman has been in the job for 3.5 years.

Still on a high today after last night's incredible result.

I've been replaying the highlights and the One Soccer post-game on YouTube all morning.

We're absolutely on pace for Kristian Jack's benchmark total of 18-23 points. I like KJ's thinking that if you average 2 points per game at home (7 games, 14 points) and 1 point per game on the road (7 games, 7 points), that gets you to 21 points and puts you in a fantastic position for an automatic spot to Qatar.

We're actually slightly ahead of that target right now, averaging 2.33 points per game at home and 1 point per game on the road.

What an exciting time to be a CanMNT fan! 💪 😀

Edited by jtpc

Just now, Mattd97 said:

With one of them being a largely shut down sporting break due to a pandemic 

All that matters is he has the team in a good place right now, onward, forward. I think a lot of people want to forget the pandemic and what it has been like for the last 18 months or so, slowly and surely things are betting better, but its not over yet, but we all got to enjoy last evening and all that it offered, something amazing and we will never forget.