WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

6 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Why are people shitting on Brym.  Granted I was in Section 120 last night, so opposite end from where we were attacking 2nd half, but Brym looked like he was Panama fits most of the times he had the ball.  

There was the run down the right side where he sent in that ball that Kaye was almost able to walk in.  There was the moment he went 1-on-3 with Panamanian defenders and we came away with the ball.

I was impressed with him last night.  With no Cav and no Larin this window, we can't complain about his performances.

I somewhat agree. He’s raw, no doubt about it. There were times where he didn’t know exactly where he needed to be. But when he’s on the ball you can see his skill. The complaints about his hustle reminds me a little bit of the complaints people had with Berbatov, where it looked like he was just walking around smoking a cigarette and he never seemed to hustle. But sometimes it’s not about running nonstop. 

not saying Brym is anywhere near Berbatov (or will ever be), but just something that came to my mind.

8 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Why are people shitting on Brym.  Granted I was in Section 120 last night, so opposite end from where we were attacking 2nd half, but Brym looked like he was Panama fits most of the times he had the ball.  

There was the run down the right side where he sent in that ball that Kaye was almost able to walk in.  There was the moment he went 1-on-3 with Panamanian defenders and we came away with the ball.

I was impressed with him last night.  With no Cav and no Larin this window, we can't complain about his performances.

Yeah, thought Brym played well too, especially when I rewatched the game today. He was dribbling well and spotting teammates for passes.

10 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

JH is for sure giving it back to Milan, it’s his cycle.

I think this is probably what happens provided Borjan fully recovers and is playing well for Red Star before next break. But there is a sufficiently small enough gap between the two that I would ride Crépeau if Borjan suffers from any post covid symptoms or poor form.

They also offer different abilities. For me, Crépeau’s advantages are handling crosses better, better rebound control. On the other hand, Borjan is probably still the superior shot stopper, though the gap has definitely shrunk.

If this were FIFA or Football Manager, I would probably use Crépeau against Costa Rica to limit CRC’s main threat (tall players on corners) and Borjan against Mexico for his superior shot stopping, but that’s not a viable real world option.

2 minutes ago, frattinator said:

I somewhat agree. He’s raw, no doubt about it. There were times where he didn’t know exactly where he needed to be. But when he’s on the ball you can see his skill. The complaints about his hustle reminds me a little bit of the complaints people had with Berbatov, where it looked like he was just walking around smoking a cigarette and he never seemed to hustle. But sometimes it’s not about running nonstop. 

not saying Brym is anywhere near Berbatov (or will ever be), but just something that came to my mind.

But he looked the same in the Olympics qualifying matches. Was an excellent dribbler but went nowhere and did nothing with his dribbles and when he didn't have the ball he looked like he was out walking and smoking a cig. He's 23 and the odds are quickly stacking against him becoming a national team player with quality.

11 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I think this is probably what happens provided Borjan fully recovers and is playing well for Red Star before next break. But there is a sufficiently small enough gap between the two that I would ride Crépeau if Borjan suffers from any post covid symptoms or poor form.

They also offer different abilities. For me, Crépeau’s advantages are handling crosses better, better rebound control. On the other hand, Borjan is probably still the superior shot stopper, though the gap has definitely shrunk.

If this were FIFA or Football Manager, I would probably use Crépeau against Costa Rica to limit CRC’s main threat (tall players on corners) and Borjan against Mexico for his superior shot stopping, but that’s not a viable real world option.

I think Crepeau is 100% on board to be the back-up and knows 2026 is his.

Just now, trc2014 said:

I think Crepeau is 100% on board to be the back-up and knows 2026 is his.

I like Crepeau but 2026 is 5 years away. Think back 5 years and try to name the players on this team. 5 years is a lifetime in sports. For instance CF MTL right now have a Canadian goalie loaned out from Bologna, Breza. He looks better than Pantemis who is the #3 on the national team. If next year Breza goes back to Italy and sets the league on fire I can see Crepeau remaining a backup for the national team.

16 hours ago, VinceA said:

This is the full reaction if you want to see them go from supreme happiness to unending pain.

30:45 into the video. Canada has just equalized. I don't speak Spanish but I get the sense they are talking about who scored, was it an own goal, etc. At exactly 3:50 they do a close up of one of the guys as he looks like he wants to smash something and he cracks open a beer (or pop, I don't know, but it's better to imagine that's when the drinking starts for them). Made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

This is kind of the way i see it as well.   Unless one has a particular bias, Its really hard to definitely state overall who is the better choice.  And world cup qualifying is the wrong place to be making or basing those decisions on when there is only 14 games to be played.  Its watching a guy over many games and over an extended period that you can really assess the the advantages and strenghts of one versus another.  And we dont get that chance because one plays in Europe  and we will never see his games.  For example,  Crepeau wasnt really tested against Jamaica, and you can say the same about Borjan versus ES, so what are we to conclude about those performances.  

Edited by Free kick

58 minutes ago, Kent said:

30:45 into the video. Canada has just equalized. I don't speak Spanish but I get the sense they are talking about who scored, was it an own goal, etc. At exactly 3:50 they do a close up of one of the guys as he looks like he wants to smash something and he cracks open a beer (or pop, I don't know, but it's better to imagine that's when the drinking starts for them). Made me chuckle.

These 5 guys need to be the go-to Voyageurs group halloween costume. 🤣

Edited by Califax

And I'm caught up. Outstanding game last night. I had very confused emotions when I showed up to the game an hour before kickoff to see the monstrous lines snaking throughout the parking lot and around the stadium. Took 45 minutes for me to get in, but at least I was able to see the kickoff, unlike thousands of others.

It certainly was a night to remember. I hope the tickets for the Edmonton games go on sale promptly. I feel like there is a real buzz about this team now. It would be amazing if Edmonton could pack in the fans into that huge stadium to keep this momentum going!

4 hours ago, Metro said:

Disagree.  Henry CONCAFED it perfectly, IMHO.  He gets it. 😄

Like when Pesch flipped the corner flag? Two different rule books. We will never get to Concacaf as you say. We have to be so much better to break free. Looks like we are this time unless we start pretending we can get away with crap like that.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Great in theory until you realize that would mean a couple people wearing Panama jerseys.

Good news: Panama jerseys (not sure what vintage) are also being blown out at our new favourite store, SVP sports: 

https://www.svpsports.ca/products/new-balance-mens-panama-home-jersey-mt930402-hme?variant=39705557205146&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqp-LBhDQARIsAO0a6aIDlu5cq-xZ-ltzV4sF0LisZLLEjF8K3OtOA50K5w0u47rNFoJpYs4aAi2QEALw_wcB

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This is kind of the way i see it as well.   Unless one has a particular bias, Its really hard to definitely state who is the better choice.  And world cup qualifying is the wrong place to be making or basing those decisions on when there is only 14 games to be played.  Its watching a guy over many games and an extended that you can really the advantages and strenghts of one versus another.  And we dont get that chance because one plays in Europe  and we will never see his agmes.  For example,  Crepeau wasnt really tested against Jamaica, and you can say the same about Borjan versus ES, so what are we to conclude about those performances.  

I can’t speak to Borjan’s day-to-day play, but as a Whitecaps fan I can say Crépeau is cementing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in MLS. He has been fantastic all season. The part of his game that really shines is his rebound control. If you get a shot against him, you better score because there is not going to be a rebound to poke home.

Regarding this window, I think the fact you think he wasn’t tested speaks to how well he handled the few big moments he did face. In the 93rd minute against Jamaica, he makes a good stop to his left to deny Jamaica the winning goal. It may have been heading wide, but you can’t take that chance. He had very little to do all game, but when he was needed he stepped up. He also made a Banksian save against Panama in the 85th. He has to move back across his body to a well headed ball to the bottom corner. I also thought his command of the box was good all window.

All that said, I still think Borjan is the starter, particularly since Crépeau will be out of season soon, but I think we’re in an unbelievably privileged position when it comes to the keeper position right now. Hard to go wrong.

I don’t think anyone blankety gets a cycle in net without conditions. But if Borjan continues to play without any major mistakes, I think it’s safe to say he’s going to be the starter. 

Maybe you give Crepeau the odd game for the sake of rotation if fixture congestion bubbles up.

55 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I can’t speak to Borjan’s day-to-day play, but as a Whitecaps fan I can say Crépeau is cementing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in MLS. He has been fantastic all season. The part of his game that really shines is his rebound control. If you get a shot against him, you better score because there is not going to be a rebound to poke home.

Regarding this window, I think the fact you think he wasn’t tested speaks to how well he handled the few big moments he did face. In the 93rd minute against Jamaica, he makes a good stop to his left to deny Jamaica the winning goal. It may have been heading wide, but you can’t take that chance. He had very little to do all game, but when he was needed he stepped up. He also made a Banksian save against Panama in the 85th. He has to move back across his body to a well headed ball to the bottom corner. I also thought his command of the box was good all window.

All that said, I still think Borjan is the starter, particularly since Crépeau will be out of season soon, but I think we’re in an unbelievably privileged position when it comes to the keeper position right now. Hard to go wrong.

We are indeed blessed to have two very strong options at GK.  Main reason I prefer Crepeau: fewer brain farts.  Milan is good for one brain fart a game, and from time to time these have resulted in goals against. Maxime almost had a Borjan-esque brain fart against Mexico--where he ended up bear hugging Chucky--but otherwise he is very tidy and very focused. Mind you, Milan seems to have cleaned up his game in this respect.

20 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We are indeed blessed to have two very strong options at GK.  Main reason I prefer Crepeau: fewer brain farts.  Milan is good for one brain fart a game, and from time to time these have resulted in goals against. Maxime almost had a Borjan-esque brain fart against Mexico--where he ended up bear hugging Chucky--but otherwise he is very tidy and very focused. Mind you, Milan seems to have cleaned up his game in this respect.

May not be fair to Crepeau from a saves to allowed goals perspective, but I also value the much taller keeper in Borjan.

Just a couple of observations regarding the coverage:

Maybe the most epic home match for CanMNT since St. John's '85, and we were THIS close for it not to be on television for a couple of baseball games not involving Canadian teams.  Hopefully this becomes less and less an issue over time.

Watching TSN Sportscentre last night and they had THREE media guys at BMO Field providing analysis.  I've never seen that before for a Canadian soccer team, club or country:  where the network NOT showing the game still had people at the stadium providing reports.