WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

3 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I think ref last night sold himself on the idea that he was going to have a non controversial match. Like “if I hold my cards, call the occasion foul, don’t give any penalties, then my name won’t be on the headlines” 

Well that’s great and all, and to be frank probably better than most of the CONCACAF officiating we get, but still not the right answer. The players are ultimately going to determine the number of things that need to get called. You cannot back down from big decisions just cause it puts your name in the headlines.

The real piece here should be they let a player get spat on and still missed it, which is shameful

Yeah we won but there was at least 2 if not 3 penalties that should have been called. 

I expect at least one non-call a game but like how do you justify it? 

5 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I think ref last night sold himself on the idea that he was going to have a non controversial match. Like “if I hold my cards, call the occasion foul, don’t give any penalties, then my name won’t be on the headlines” 

Well that’s great and all, and to be frank probably better than most of the CONCACAF officiating we get, but still not the right answer. The players are ultimately going to determine the number of things that need to get called. You cannot back down from big decisions just cause it puts your name in the headlines.

The real piece here should be they let a player get spat on and still missed it, which is shameful

The the non PK call was also an example of this.  Since i was at the game, i only saw one replay of it and it was on my phone.  But it was a PK, the guy got pushed from the back.

Edited by Free kick

What an epic day that was, it was a 12 hour event for me with all the travel and pre and post match revelry, after a good sleep I am feeling very good about how that went! I mentioned to many that was the most important mens match on Canadian soil in 35 years and we came through with flying colours, after conceding early it was easy to say here we go again but this group is different! We didn't just beat an important rival in our group, we thrashed them and that bodes well for the return fixture late on in Panama! That was as loud and intense as I have ever heard BMO, it was amazing how packed it became when the long lineups actually funnelled into the stadium and the fans had a ton of energy, it was an explosion when Davies scored his wonder goal! I must mention after my griping earlier that the pitch looked quite good and full credit to the sensitive grounds crew for all the prep! The 5 points in this window are quite good, we are back in the drivers seat with a couple of huge home matches in Edmonton coming up, I can't wait to see everyone there as the journey continues!

Last night was simply an incredible performance. One for the ages. BMO was electric.  The belief in the team was palpable. It's like the crowd willed those goals into existence. There was total belief, focus and commitment from the staff, players and fans. Magic. 

What more can be said about Davies?  He's unstoppable. The guy should be our Captain. He's taking us to the World Cup. 

Laryea was playing Total Football out there. He went from left back to left mid to right mid within minutes before sending an inch perfect cross to Buchanan for the third goal. He is vital. Untouchable. 

Buchanan is like a gift from the football Gods. Another constant goal threat just gifted to us out of nowhere. We don't deserve him. 

David being constantly marked opened up space for everyone and their mother. A deserved goal for him is the cherry. 

Miller had some poor touches early on but his teammates lifted him up, Crepeau, Vitoria, Davies all went to him at one point or another and offered support, boosted his confidence and Miller bounced back. That's what this team is about. 

Herdman got his changes spot on. Adekugbe coming on offers us so much flexibility in our set up. 

Down a goal at home in our biggest game of WCQ? No problem, we'll dominate you and score 4.  The mentality of this team is BULLET PROOF. 

26 minutes ago, Cblake said:

In the end it didn't amount to anything, but my goodness how did David pass on putting a shot on net on this??!?

To be fair that keeper closed him in a hurry and the ball was perfectly cutback, just unlucky with the finish. If Spoony finishes that, we're all calling David a genius.

Yesterday was an excellent result, but it took 65 mins and something special from Davies to finally get a lead.

Yes. The ref missed a penalty that we probably would have converted, but honestly, I want to see guys like David finish sitters when we need it most. It is imperative that our best players really make our chances count as we head into games with Costa Rica, and especially, Mexico. We probably will not get the same amount of chances on Nov. 16, so finishing will be extremely important. 

This is not me being a downer, but after this window, I can see this team has the goods to compete at the WC and maybe even advance out of the group stage there. If other players start finishing when the going is tough, I feel we'll be able to face any team. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

15 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Yesterday was an excellent result, but it took 65 mins and something special from Davies to finally get a lead.

Yes. The ref missed a penalty that we probably would have converted, but honestly, I want to see guys like David finish sitters when we need it most. It is imperative that our best players really make our chances count as we head into games with Costa Rica, and especially, Mexico. We probably will not get the same amount of chances on Nov. 16, so finishing will be extremely important. 

This is not me being a downer, but after this window, I can see this team has the goods to compete at the WC and maybe even advance out of the group stage there. If other players start finishing when the going is tough, I feel we'll be able to face any team. 

I totally agree, but what is more likely: that a world class (or close to it?) striker like David continues to be snakebitten for Canada, or that he eventually displays the scoring touch that he's displayed at every level professionally and also previously for country? 

Over time, with class players, conversion rates on chances will revert to the norm. What we should focus on, and be encouraged by, is how many chances this team continues to create, and how relatively few they have given up.

Edited by jonovision

What a game...love this team.

Herdman was excellent...the substitutions to bring Kaye and Adekugbe in at the right time were genius.  The "cramping" by Crepeau giving Herdman time to huddle with the guys was big.  But Davies turned the game on its head and we found a level of domination rarely seen in this game.

In these qualifiers if there had been VAR how many penalty kicks would we have been awarded?  If this is World Cup standard, I think we would get two for sure last night.  Hopefully in the not so distant future VAR is used because the only way these teams can stop our attack is committing fouls. 

Something else that stood out last night was our set pieces...big improvement.  A lot of danger on those corners.

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I totally agree, but what is more likely: that a world class (or close to it?) striker like David continues to be snakebitten for Canada, or that he eventually displays the scoring touch that he's displayed at every level professionally and also previously for country? 

Over time, with class players, conversion rates on chances will revert to the norm. What we should focus on, and be encouraged by, is how many chances this time continues to create, and how relatively few they have given up.

In addition I thought David had a better game last night.  He did offer a decent chance early, and he did get one late.  I was encouraged by it, but yes against Mexico we need his best.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Over time, with class players, conversion rates on chances will revert to the norm. What we should focus on, and be encouraged by, is how many chances this time continues to create, and how relatively few they have given up.

6 goals in 10 WCQ, including one last night, is "snakebitten" now? 

How many good chances did he have this window? Maybe 2? He's fine.

I just wonder what we would have done to Panama if we had Cavallini and/or Larin to come in relief.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

6 goals in 10 WCQ, including one last night, is "snakebitten" now? 

How many good chances did he have this window? Maybe 2? He's fine.

I just wonder what we would have done to Panama if we had Cavallini and/or Larin to come in relief.

I think it's fair to separate his performances in this Octagonal from previous rounds. And whether or not you think he was slumping, it's clear from his and his teammates' reaction to his goal and to previous chances and decisions that that's how he was feeling.

I'll first start by saying that playing a round of golf for work couldn't have come on a worse day.  However, I left 4 holes early to get to the game in time.  Arrived 60 minutes before kick off but unfortunately had to wait another 30 minutes for my girlfriend and her uncle.  I was not a happy man, waiting in line to get to the game.  Arrived about 20 minutes in so my player analysis may be a bit off.

But first, what an atmosphere BMO Field was yesterday.  It was truly electric and thank you for everyone who helped organize on here.

Crepeau - Once again, did basically all that was asked of him.  Both him and Borjan have been very solid so far.  I loved seeing Crepeau pull in both Pantemis and St Clair after the game for a quick keeper moment as well.

Vitoria - Another great performance.  An absolute beast in the air and incredibly calm.  Has become a great leader for our country.  For those people who ever question a players late commitment to Canada, let them be reminded of Vitoria and everything he has done for our program in the past few years.

Miller - Continues to impress me every game.  A defensive rock back there.  His touch is his weakness but he is tough as nails on the field and incredibly nice off the field.

Johnston - Another absolute rock defensively.  It's starting to shock me that both Miller & Johnston are still in the MLS (not that MLS is a bad league anymore).

Laryea - Although I missed the goal against live, replays show that he was sort of out of position once again.  And that early on in the game, he should not be gassed.  However, a constant threat going forward and a pinpoint cross to Tajon on that goal.

Tajon - Incredible performance once again.  At this rate, Brugge could probably sell Tajon for a profit in January.  His career path is going to be something to watch.

Osorio - Not his best performance but always the right choice to start on his home field.  Compliments Eustaquio quite well.  Sitting in the friends and family section and a couple times from the bench he went to the crowd to get loud.

Wotherspoon - From the 25 minutes I saw in the first half, he looked out of place with some poor or missed touches and a rough shot but I thought he was quite good to start the 2nd half.  There was a period of time where we couldn't get much possession and his sub was timed perfectly by Herdman.

Eustaquio - I continue to be in awe of his performances.  He will never get the headlines like Davies or Tajon but he is absolutely on of our most important players on this team.  Watching him live and seeing some of the things he does and pulls off is incredible.

Davies - The best in CONCACAF and it's not even close.  That is all.

David - Thankfully got his goal and was much more involved this game but him passing up that one chance really showed his lack of confidence with Canada.  Strange, considering his run with Lille coming into this break.  But overall happy with his goal and performance.  I hope he never shoves Davies like that again after his goal 😂

Adekugbe - Solid performance off the bench.  His presence helped Canada control the game more once he was on.

Kaye - Also, another good substitution from Herdman.  Also helped control the game once coming in.

Shaffelburg - Was unable to do much but great to see him get into the game on his home field.  He is constantly looking for runs in behind.  It was fun watching him off the ball.

Piette - Brought in to close up the game and to give Eustaquio rest and he did his job.

Brym - Definitely should have been Millar on instead of Brym.  However, it was his best performance of this break.  He showed some glimpses and was able to get under Panama's skin.  Any criticism of his performance last night is undeserved but I believe Millar should have been there after his performances vs Jamaica.

Sat in the friends and family section and it is always special to see the friends, families and fans wait around after the game to mingle with the players.  One thing that stood out to me, was the amount of kids that were screaming for Davies when he came over.  Asking for autographs and his jersey, etc.  Most friends and family waited around for the Canadian players but Davies had groups of screaming kids calling his name.  I mentioned how great it is that we now have a superstar player that kids can look up to in this country.

Edited by Corazon

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Over time, with class players, conversion rates on chances will revert to the norm. What we should focus on, and be encouraged by, is how many chances this team continues to create, and how relatively few they have given up.

Yes. Time is on our side and he is nicknamed the Ice Man for a reason, so there is reason to stay optimistic. 

50 minutes ago, Cblake said:

In the end it didn't amount to anything, but my goodness how did David pass on putting a shot on net on this??!?

When I first saw the play I thought David made a mistake passing but looking at that picture I have to think it wasn't a bad idea. The goalie was out far enough to cover most of the net. It was going to take a fantastic shot to beat the goalie and David wasn't feeling it I guess.

48 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The the non PK call was also an example of this.  Since i was at the game, i only saw one replay of it and it was on my phone.  But it was a PK, the guy got pushed from the back.

Someone posted a highlights package earlier on in this thread. It was a Spanish language package and the play by play man started saying it was a PK and then stopped himself when he saw the ref didn't call it. I don't know if he was Panamanian. That was definitely a PK.

29 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I agree with you but don't forget David is still only 21. He'll grow with each and every important game we'll play from now till the WC in Qatar.

I can remember myself at 21. 

9 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I'll first start by saying that playing a round of golf for work couldn't have come on a worse day.  However, I left 4 holes early to get to the game in time.  Arrived 60 minutes before kick off but unfortunately had to wait another 30 minutes for my girlfriend and her uncle.  I was not a happy man, waiting in line to get to the game.  Arrived about 20 minutes in so my player analysis may be a bit off.

But first, what an atmosphere BMO Field was yesterday.  It was truly electric and thank you for everyone who helped organize on here.

Crepeau - Once again, did basically all that was asked of him.  Both him and Borjan have been very solid so far.  I loved seeing Crepeau pull in both Pantemis and St Clair after the game for a quick keeper moment as well.

Vitoria - Another great performance.  An absolute beast in the air and incredibly calm.  Has become a great leader for our country.  For those people who ever question a players late commitment to Canada, let them be reminded of Vitoria and everything he has done for our program in the past few years.

Miller - Continues to impress me every game.  A defensive rock back there.  His touch is his weakness but he is tough as nails on the field and incredibly nice off the field.

Johnston - Another absolute rock defensively.  It's starting to shock me that both Miller & Johnston are still in the MLS (not that MLS is a bad league anymore).

Laryea - Although I missed the goal against live, replays show that he was sort of out of position once again.  And that early on in the game, he should not be gassed.  However, a constant threat going forward and a pinpoint cross to Tajon on that goal.

Tajon - Incredible performance once again.  At this rate, Brugge could probably sell Tajon for a profit in January.  His career path is going to be something to watch.

Osorio - Not his best performance but always the right choice to start on his home field.  Compliments Eustaquio quite well.  Sitting in the friends and family section and a couple times from the bench he went to the crowd to get loud.

Wotherspoon - From the 25 minutes I saw in the first half, he looked out of place with some poor or missed touches and a rough shot but I thought he was quite good to start the 2nd half.  There was a period of time where we couldn't get much possession and his sub was timed perfectly by Herdman.

Eustaquio - I continue to be in awe of his performances.  He will never get the headlines like Davies or Tajon but he is absolutely on of our most important players on this team.  Watching him live and seeing some of the things he does and pulls off is incredible.

Davies - The best in CONCACAF and it's not even close.  That is all.

David - Thankfully got his goal and was much more involved this game but him passing up that one chance really showed his lack of confidence with Canada.  Strange, considering his run with Lille coming into this break.  But overall happy with his goal and performance.  I hope he never shoves Davies like that again after his goal 😂

Adekugbe - Solid performance off the bench.  His presence helped Canada control the game more once he was on.

Kaye - Also, another good substitution from Herdman.  Also helped control the game once coming in.

Shaffelburg - Was unable to do much but great to see him get into the game on his home field.  He is constantly looking for runs in behind.  It was fun watching him off the ball.

Piette - Brought in to close up the game and to give Eustaquio rest and he did his job.

Brym - Definitely should have been Millar on instead of Brym.  However, it was his best performance of this break.  He showed some glimpses and was able to get under Panama's skin.  Any criticism of his performance last night is undeserved but I believe Millar should have been there after his performances vs Jamaica.

Sat in the friends and family section and it is always special to see the friends, families and fans wait around after the game to mingle with the players.  One thing that stood out to me, was the amount of kids that were screaming for Davies when he came over.  Asking for autographs and his jersey, etc.  Most friends and family waited around for the Canadian players but Davies had groups of screaming kids calling his name.  I mentioned how great it is that we now have a superstar player that kids can look up to in this country.

What an outstanding review...could not have said it any better.  Just a note on Laryea...It wasn't his best game, but I think he was asked to play a different role.  The cross to Buchanon was indeed pure gold.  On the Panama goal they caught us off balance and they made the very best of the chance.  I wonder how many times out of ten they convert on that play?

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

1 per 90 is sub par. Be better JD!

If everyone were available, who is your starting eleven versus Costa Rico?  And who are your top three subs?

David  Larin

Davies   Kaye     Eustaquio  Buchanon

Atibi

Adekugbe Vitoria Johnston

Borjan

(Subs: Laryea, Cavalini, Cornelius)

5 minutes ago, B_Leaf said:

If everyone were available, who is your starting eleven versus Costa Rico?  And who are your top three subs?

David  Larin

Davies   Kaye     Eustaquio  Buchanon

Atibi

Adekugbe Vitoria Johnston

Borjan

(Subs: Laryea, Cavalini, Cornelius)

This is almost exactly what I’d have, maybe swap Kennedy/Miller for Adekugbe as I think we need at least 2 proper CBs there 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn