WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Miller: very reliable, settling in nicely. the one player I have to retract on, he's been solid. Even got forward a few times and no mistakes. 

Had a rough first 20 minutes.  Took him awhile but finally settled.

Davies: MOTM, playing in the position that is right for him, in the middle, or else right side attacker turning in. Some amazing dribbles, and to be fair, the rival did not try to injure him (always a worry). I think Bayern, if they see this, will rethink his role for them. Thanks to John Herdman for reading my posts on here ;)

Credit where credit is due.

Herdman: we came out and got behind, yet again. This is fun being epic but he has to solve it. The team comes out flat and lacking some intensity and only seems to be reactive. And that is always risky.

No idea if this was the situation, but it seems like the team can be overawed by the situation at times.  That was a hell of an atmosphere to walk into, not unlike the first game with Honduras.  Hopefully this gets eliminated with experience, ideally sometime within the next four weeks.

In hockey terms, they come out, belt out the national anthem but then are holding their sticks a bit too tight.  Luckily they've recovered.

Johnston: the only field player to see every minute. Fit as hell, plays relaxed, over 3 matches I'd say he's our best player because we defended so damn seriously in totally different environments and he had a major role in that.

Alastair is my favourite type of player.  A guy that was playing L1O two years ago appears on the scene and turns heads.  Not unlike Serioux after that B team friendly and getting picked up by Millwall.  I live for those stories.  He's a legend in my eyes.

18 minutes ago, Floortom said:

For people wondering what happened with Laryea - it was literally right in front of me. The Panamian directed a huge wad of spit right at Richie. I couldn’t tell if it hit him but his intention was unmistakable. He literally looked right at him as he was doing it.

If they were reviewing the melee before halftime they sure as hell better be reviewing that. 

Also looked like herdman went down the tunnel straight after the game looking for a fight. Did the Panama coach not shake his hand or something?

Wasn't able to watch the game but that scoreline is just what the doctor ordered. Kept remembering Paul Peschisolido getting sent off in a game against Panama from back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth over the last few days and how small incidents like that can impact a WC qualifier that should be winnable. Still a long way to go but confident it's there for the taking now if the team plays the way they are capable of.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Epic come back, and a massive three points at home. We lead the table in terms of goal differential. We will take some points on the road in central America, mark my word. We aren't scared.

We need to figure out how not to poop the bed in the first moments of the game, especially at home. I think nerves got the best of us. Yeah, it is amazing to see the resilience and self-belief of this team, but we need to tidy up that aspect of our game/mindset. Guaranteed Herdman will be thinking damned hard about it. 

But five points over a very difficult window, and without four or five key pieces to this team. 

So, can we get 12 points over the next 8 games?  I think so!

28 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Some potential context on the melee 

Can confirm this happened, witnessed it right in front of me in section 106. Entire section went wild but ref was clueless and so was linesman who wasn’t paying attention to obviously heated exchange. 

Even prior to spit #10 was throwing elbows in his back and playing extremely dirty. Love how firey Laryea is, he didn’t give him an inch. They almost fought a final time well after the final whistle when players were about to do their lap thanking supporters. Looked like even CONCACAF officials had to come on pitch to get Panamanians to the tunnel. 

Tonight was by far the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at BMO. Overwhelmingly red and incredible supportive home crowd. Only way is up from here and it really pleased me to see so many kids at the game. They’ll grown in a world where this team is a force. What a night for us and for future of football in Canada.

5 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Tonight was by far the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at BMO. Overwhelmingly red and incredible supportive home crowd. Only way is up from here and it really pleased me to see so many kids at the game. They’ll grown in a world where this team is a force. What a night for us and for future of football in Canada.

Feels like it is finally happening! I started following the national team when I was 14, back in 1986. When we book our ticket to Qatar, I will have just turned 50. Like many of you, I've never given up on this team, but I won't pretend the past 35 years have been filled with hope and glorious football.  But what is truly crazy is that we are actually getting really good. Kevin Kilbane, for what it is worth, said after the game against Mexico that we are as good as any of the very good teams in Europe. We dangled with the number 10 and 11 FIFA ranked teams, in their stadiums, and did not only come away with a massive point each game, but felt we could have won those games.  There's much work to do yet, but when we get to Qatar, we'll have the belief that we can hang with the very good teams of the world, and maybe even surprise some of the elite ones.