WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

Why do they keep bringung up the lou marsh award? Davies has  deserved the lou marsh award once and has won the lou marsh award once. He shared it fairly with a pro football player who turned down a year in his NFL prime with a superbowm contender to stay in Montreal as a practicing doctor during a pandemic. I dont think anyone sat there taking anything away from davies winning it. I'm confused

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

Very happy for the result and the team.  Looking at the bench liam is smiling from ear to ear. Happy to be part of history and this amazing team!! 
proud of him!  And the team !! 
good

night board!! 230am

here up at 630….

I'm in Barcelona one hour later and also have the alarm set for 6.30, I teach two classes this morning. 

Sorry his mom did not get to see Liam live, and other friends and family, but the mix has been positive and it is not the only odd sub we've seen. Certainly Brault-Guillard deserved some minutes in the window. Brym held his own but it's more his presence overall that irks, you can't ask players to show club form and bring in a guy at that level. 

The result washes it all over and this is not the game to get into it. 

Big shout out to everyone who made the effort to organize and make the atmosphere that was tonight, happen. We heard all of you loud and proud through the TV all night. 

good turn around from the lads. My god do we play attractive football when we fire on all cylinders. Bring on Edmonton and the frozen tundra!!

That was amazing (except for BMO's organization). It was already 1-0 Panama when I got inside. Thankfully, we dominated the game after! 

I'm still on the Corbeanu hype train. And I'm not getting off of it so block me if you wish. However, Tajon's last two games have fully won me over. He's fantastic. I'm in his hype train now too. A little late to the party, but I don't watch MLS so that is part of being slow to jump on. 

I'm not even sure I can pick a MotM. Davies was incredible. Tajon was very good. David was very good. Johnston is a fucking monster. Vitoria is so damn calm and smooth. Miller played maybe his best game ever. Eustaquio... I don't even have words for how good he is. 

Thanks Vs and thanks to all the fans at BMO field. I hope it came across well on TV cause it was ELECTRIC. 

Edited by Hawkguy

Just now, vancanman said:

They still have some work to do to get even close to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras of the late 80's.

Over the last 10-15 years, no away day in CONCACAF has been worse for visiting teams than the likes of Arabe Unido, Allianza or Tauro. El Salvador and Honduras have better fans, but in pure fucking around, Panama is just in their own realm imo.

Coaches would hate me cause even after that game I'd be like "congrats coach, now wtf when you're up 4-1 in a rough game do you leave larryea in, and put in shaff and brym as young inexperienced attacking players when you've got zbg, Millar, Fraser, Cornelius, and Henry still on the bench?"

Ok  maybe putting in Henry would lit some extra fireworks, but everyone else 

8 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Lloyd Sam, in case any of you are interested.

I see he's from Leeds.  He doesn't sound like a Yorkshireman, but he might have moved dowrn sourth at a young age.

Going from Vic Rauter saying "squib" every five minutes while Canada try to qualify in front of 4,000 people at Swangard to Lloyd Sam with that atmosphere at BMO is like night and day.

22 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Are you watching this game? I wouldn't say he has done poorly. 

Was before he picked up many minutes tonight.  He was better tonight.  Don't think he would have been my choice though for what he's shown and what we needed

Incredible performance.

Almost makes me a bit sad they won’t play in Toronto next window after what we just witnessed. They’ve played 5.5 out of 6 incredible halves of football this WCQ campaign at home. Don’t really want anything messing with that (I get the cold factor but not like our boys necessarily want their nuts frozen either).

1 minute ago, cronaldo7 said:

Incredible performance.

Almost makes me a bit sad they won’t play in Toronto next window after what we just witnessed. They’ve played 5.5 out of 6 incredible halves of football this WCQ campaign at home. Don’t really want anything messing with that (I get the cold factor but not like our boys necessarily want their nuts frozen either).

Edmonton, Siberia will be our salvation

I know it is a bit early, but how about some player ratings.

Crepeau:  did everything he had to. The team was half-asleep on the goal, then he made a sharp stop late in tight. A leader, going down "injured" to give us a Time Out.

Laryea: I felt he was our weakest player today, he looked lost, was unsure when to go forward, and got too easily distracted with BS. Perhaps the way our attack lined up he had less to do, but he still did less. Even after the position change. A few decent balls forward.

Miller: very reliable, settling in nicely. the one player I have to retract on, he's been solid. Even got forward a few times and no mistakes. 

Vitória: so strong in the air, a leader, decent passing, for me a step ahead of Henry. Also, acted like a captain on the pitch. 

Johnston: the only field player to see every minute. Fit as hell, plays relaxed, over 3 matches I'd say he's our best player because we defended so damn seriously in totally different environments and he had a major role in that.

Eustáquio: surprised they did not key on him, which Mexico did. Had time to run the show, nice long balls, good distribution. We were not really clicking in the middle nor had long possession stint, and were more direct, but he was his good usual self.

Osorio: perhaps disappears in sections of games, but complements SE well and they are starting to play well together. 

Wotherspoon: missed a bit of feeling with the players around him. With Davies up high and in the middle he had the left flank, and did not exploit it much. Neither did Laryea, or anyone up that side too much. Our attack or our dangerous players were from the right. Still, I can see he's a useful player, and worked hard defensively.

Tajon: very confident performance, with huge maturity, he's a guy who is developing at an exponential pace. Seriously, he is going to blow things out of the water for Bruges, if they can get out of the group stage it could be fun in CL. Pleased for him.

Davies: MOTM, playing in the position that is right for him, in the middle, or else right side attacker turning in. Some amazing dribbles, and to be fair, the rival did not try to injure him (always a worry). I think Bayern, if they see this, will rethink his role for them. Thanks to John Herdman for reading my posts on here ;)

David: much better. We were all saying he looked tired, then he ran all day today. He pressured, had more play,  more touches, oddly was being encouraged by Alphonso to shoot more (Davies instructing the goal leader in France how to score!)

Subs: Brym was much better, but he still should not be there. Shaff did not really get to shine. Piette did a good job, working hard and closing down their attack through the middle. Kaye, not much to show for tonight, also got that head knock early on his stint. Who else?

Herdman: we came out and got behind, yet again. This is fun being epic but he has to solve it. The team comes out flat and lacking some intensity and only seems to be reactive. And that is always risky. Besides that, a bold set up, nice attacking pieces, and a balance today between pressuring high and finding the space when in possession in our half. A bit more direct tonight, but we could have had more, it is just a quarterback lob into space after all. When they had their long possession sequence, maybe 50 passes, he found a way to get that break and told the team to get its lines tighter, esp the back four, to push Panama into a smaller attacking space to take away their passing options in our half. Showed that our corners were better, free kicks (one goal, the first--but I could care less about free kicks, frankly)

And on that note, be well all here---and an amazing job by the Voyageurs tonight, also a watershed performance in the stands.