WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

Just now, jonovision said:

Allow me to suggest the following: It is better to have Alphonso Davies on your team than not.

Also his celebration of David's goal was my favourite moment of the match.

Not going back through the thread, but what was the Laryea situation about near the end of the match? Was he racially abused?

The panamanian 0layer spit at him 

Just now, jonovision said:

The other results tonight (assuming Mexico sees off El Salvador) have gone about as well as they could, no?

Indeed. We've a chance to really put the nail in Costa Rica's coffin next window, and perhaps by the end of that window Honduras will be all but cooked. Maybe El Salvador too. I've a feeling we'll be battling Panama, Jamaica and the US for spots 2, 3 + 4. 

I thank Gawd that we've finally reached the point in this region where we've outgrown all the CONCACRAPing that's be allowed to go on in CONCACRAP for too long.  If that's sounds harsh it's because you're on the wrong side of progress. 

I just can't find a way to be nice about this.  It's overdue and will be to the benefit of every, single, nation in this region., included those who've benefited by the practice in the past. 

Just home from the game 

Amazing amazing night-no words and glad I was able to share this night with one of my boys in person - the other was with us in spirit from Vancouver. My boys and wife first in person Canada game was Canada V Ecuador in Toronto 2011 where it felt (pre V’s) in our section we were the only Canada supporters flanked by every Ecuadorian living in Toronto - wonderful to see the transformation from then till tonight

A couple of brandy’s down-maybe more, not sure as tomorrow is a work day!

see you in Edmonton Drizzy and the other V’s 

Looking at this window, I know we would have been better off losing to Mexico and beating Jamaica... but it's hard not to be at least satisfied with the way things have gone. I think the point at Azteca means more than just a point in the table, even if they didn't follow it up with the best performance.

14 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This reaction from Panama media was amazing.

Thank you for that very enjoyable moment. 

I was watching some Pananian coverage yesterday and the prevailing attitude was that they'd draw Canada at worst, and it wouldn't surprise them if Panama won.

We've been disrespected so much by these countries in the past (partly cause we weren't good) but it's really nice to be on the other end finally. 

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Looking at this window, I know we would have been better off losing to Mexico and beating Jamaica... but it's hard not to be at least satisfied with the way things have gone. I think the point at Azteca means more than just a point in the table, even if they didn't follow it up with the best performance.

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of the Mexico approach but credit to Herdman and the boys, we got out of this window with a very positive 5 points.  Pretty happy with the eventual outcome.    

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The intangible benefits of getting a point at the Azteca and finishing the second three-match window still undefeated will outweigh that one extra point in the standings in the long run, I think. Then again, we might REALLY want that extra point come March.

57 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wasn't able to watch the game but that scoreline is just what the doctor ordered. Kept remembering Paul Peschisolido getting sent off in a game against Panama from back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth over the last few days and how small incidents like that can impact a WC qualifier that should be winnable. Still a long way to go but confident it's there for the taking now if the team plays the way they are capable of.

El Salvador in 1997 at Swangard, right? My first Canada match. I was hooked from the start. 

Incidentally my nephew went to his first ever CMNT match tonight. We may have made another Voyageur tonight.