WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 6
Canada vs Panama
Wednesday, Oct 13 2021
7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm
BMO Field, Toronto
Online Broadcast: ONESoccer , Sportsnet NOW
TV Broadcast: Telus Channel 980 (
EN) , RDS (FR)

---

Referee: Armando Villarreal
https://twitter.com/desigarbitrales/status/1444062166114525185
He was our ref during the 5-1 win against Bermuda and our 2019 Gold Cup thrashing of Cuba
He has been a ref for MLS for many years.

Canada Squad:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAoW5ZPXoAky1rH?format=jpg&name=small

Canadian players that were in the original in the squad but that won't play due to fitness/injury/illness:
Borjan

Canadian players that were in the original in the squad but that may not play due to fitness/injury/illness:
Cavallini
Hutchinson
Larin
Hoilett

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
Adekugbe
Kaye
Eustáquio
Piette

---

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_national_football_team
https://twitter.com/fepafut/status/1443629527800950788

Yellow cards for Panama:
Adalberto Carrasquilla
Anibal Godoy
Alfredo Stephens

No suspensions for Panama.

Panama has only conceded twice through 5 matches so far...they're going to come in and play for a draw. Will be difficult to break them down.

A lot of roster issues has me worried. I'm not expecting Davies to start - he's probably going to be a sub option.  Really have no clue what we will do at striker. 

It seems Panama hasn’t rotated much this window, similar to how ES came into BMO. We have some key pieces rested and hopefully we can get some minutes with Davies. 

Only big question for me is at striker. Doubt even if available Larin, Cavallini or Hoilett would be in a position to start. David again? Might have to simply due to lack of options. 

16 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Enjoy pregame beer(s)!

I am looking forward to cracking a beer in the BMO Parking Lot pre-game, its been a while. 

With some returning from suspension after sitting out tonight, some things should be back in place. Will be nice to have Tajon back. I do wonder about things up front. You can only go to the well with the same guys so often in such a short period of time. Someone needs to step up and score some goals against Panama team that will hunker down and play for a draw. 

23 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

It seems Panama hasn’t rotated much this window, similar to how ES came into BMO. We have some key pieces rested and hopefully we can get some minutes with Davies. 

Only big question for me is at striker. Doubt even if available Larin, Cavallini or Hoilett would be in a position to start. David again? Might have to simply due to lack of options. 

Maybe Buchanan up front?

After thinking about it and doing some simple math, all Canada has to do is win at least three more games. If they tie every other game Canada will finish with 22 points. 22 should be enough to qualify 3rd. Another win or two with even a loss some where along the line Canada will be in good shape. The next stage all begins on Wednesday, everyone really needs to calm down. If you want to see a shit storm just got over to see how some US supporters are reacting to the US's loss at Panama. It will leave you shaking your head. 

Edited by Cblake

I think I remember Herdman saying in his interview from Independence Park yesterday that the team should know the status of the injured four guys by the end of that game. Lets hope for a bunch of good news, we need some right now. Even if 2 of those guys can go half an hour or more, I'm still hoping we call in as many players as we have confirmed are out. Reinforcements now could mean all the difference against Panama. We need options, not to just survive this game with the roster as is. This game could swing just about the whole thing for us or Panama.  

Edited by Joe Keeper

5 hours ago, lamptern said:

Buchanan Larin/Hoillet/Millar

Davies, Staq, Osorio, Laryea

Cornelius/Miller, Henry, Vitoria, Johnston

Crepeau

I know Jonathan David has just had 2 terrible matches with  the consistency of wet cardboard, but would Herdman give up on him now, in the case of Larin, Hoillet or Cavallini not being  a vailable? Over Millar? Big assumption to make. Or, am I missing something (is he on his way  back to France like the backroom deal with Davies for the end of the 1st cycle?) ?

Excited for this one, can't wait to be at the game!

I think we desperately need something up front with David. Hopefully Larin is fit enough for that. Or maybe keep Millar wide and let Buchanan come into the middle a little. He works so much better off of someone. Osorio could be the player, but he seems to much prefer going towards to the wing (he and Millar worked well together). 

We need David because he's the best goal scorer we've ever had. But we also need to get some service and let him play off someone. He's not really a playmaker. 

Edited by Hawkguy

2 hours ago, beachesl said:

G O T T A    H A V E   S T A Q. Anybody else have that unsatisfied scratchy feeling that we would have had 3 points from Jamaica had Staq started there? Gotta have Staq.

He's so important in ball movement. He spreads the ball out so well. I thought Piette played hard last night, but he just obviously can't give us the same ball movement and Kaye has struggled for two games in that sense.