GC: Canada vs Haiti - Thursday, July 15th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific Kansas City

54 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but if we beat Haiti and USA beat Martinique, it is going to come down to goal difference in the last game when we face USA especially because we would both have 6 points going into final match day. But also whoever finishes 1st in the group avoids Mexico in the quarter finals. Easier path to the Final.

We don’t play Mexico’s group in the quarter final anyway. We would play Jamaica, Costa Rica, Suriname or Guadeloupe in the quarter final. 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

We don’t play Mexico’s group in the quarter final anyway. We would play Jamaica, Costa Rica, Suriname or Guadeloupe in the quarter final. 

Yah we would play Mexico in the semi instead of the US if we finished 2nd in the group. Personally that seems like a too far away scenario to plan for but I understand the appeal.

So for me the question now is whether or not we would take a couple of intentional yellows late in the Haiti game to “clear the books” for guys already on a card in advance of the QF, knowing that it would rule them out for the US game (that isn’t as essential)?   I am thinking of guys like Cav, Eustaquio and one of Vitoria/Johnston, who are more likely to get yellows in normal gameplay and could miss the QF if they picked one up against the US.  

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

We just have to beat Haiti to move on.

Start our best lineup regardless of card status and play to win.

Absolutely agree.  We lost to Haiti in the last GC, and while we did the job in WCQ, we are missing our top two players from that series.   Based on what I saw against Martinique, we will need to be firing on all cylinders to beat Haiti.  The last thing we need is to get cocky, slip up against Haiti, and need to beat the US in the final game of the group stage to advance.  

I keep seeing people talking about winning this tournament but without David and Davies, we are in a dogfight all the way. Let’s not pretend we are magically some world-beating team because we managed to qualify for the Ocho.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Absolutely agree.  We lost to Haiti in the last GC, and while we did the job in WCQ, we are missing our top two players from that series.   Based on what I saw against Martinique, we will need to be firing on all cylinders to beat Haiti.  The last thing we need is to get cocky, slip up against Haiti, and need to beat the US in the final game of the group stage to advance.  

I keep seeing people talking about winning this tournament but without David and Davies, we are in a dogfight all the way. Let’s not pretend we are magically some world-beating team because we managed to qualify for the Ocho.  

That's a harsh dose of reality, I think some of us have got carried away thinking we just have to show up to beat a team like Haiti, they potentially will be a big test considering this isn't our A team and they played the US tough! Our program has become much more competetive with the influx of young talent but losing to Haiti and not advancing is not out of the realm of possibilities! 

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So for me the question now is whether or not we would take a couple of intentional yellows late in the Haiti game to “clear the books” for guys already on a card in advance of the QF, knowing that it would rule them out for the US game (that isn’t as essential)?   I am thinking of guys like Cav, Eustaquio and one of Vitoria/Johnston, who are more likely to get yellows in normal gameplay and could miss the QF if they picked one up against the US.  

I think cards clear after the group stage.

4 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think cards clear after the group stage.

But If you get two cards in the group you’re suspended for the Quarterfinals i believe.

edit: obviously unless you get two yellows in the first two matches which would result in the player missing the US match.

Edited by Floortom

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

With this logic why not just sit these players for the US game given the cards clear after the quarters?  I don’t think a management strategy involves intentionally seeking out yellows at the risk of injuring players - either on the other team or via retribution against Canada.

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I literally laughed out loud when on OneSoccer they were talking about Canada having a greater chance to win the tourney after the Martinique game.  This is a hard tournament to win - even with Davies and David.

23 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

With this logic why not just sit these players for the US game given the cards clear after the quarters?  I don’t think a management strategy involves intentionally seeking out yellows at the risk of injuring players - either on the other team or via retribution against Canada.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Wasn’t really thinking it through I guess.  So play Haiti hard and if they escape yellows, we debate who plays against the US.  Good call.  

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Pretty easy to draw a yellow without injuring anyone.  Hold on to a shirt long enough or keep your hands on someones back.  Or even easier just waste time tying your shoes when supposed to take a throw-in. 

In 2019 we rested guys against Mexico in the 2nd game, but it made more sense to that year than it does this year.

1. In 2019 regardless of whether we finished 1st or 2nd in the group, we would be on the same side of the bracket as Mexico, meeting them in the semi finals if both Mexico and Canada won the quarter finals. This year they fixed that ridiculous set up and winning the group means avoiding Mexico until the final... assuming Mexico wins their group.

2. In 2019 we had a much more gruelling travel schedule. We had to travel 1429 km from game 1 to 2, then 2181 km from game 2 to 3. Then finally 1489 km from game 3 to the quarter final match. This year we don't have to travel at all during the group stage, then only 743 km to the quarter final location if we make it, then we stay in Texas if we advance to the semi finals. This makes it less necessary to rest guys (I don't know if it completely negates the need or not, I'm sure that's a matter for debate).

3. In 2019 we were resting guys in a game where we were a longshot to win, to give us a better chance at the more winable game. If we rested guys against Haiti we would be resting guys in the more winable game, potentially throwing away points that should be easier to get than in the game we would be saving them for.

So yeah, for me play the strongest squad against Haiti. See how guys feel before the USA game and play the guys that are willing and able, because it is massive to win the group this time around.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

1. In 2019 regardless of whether we finished 1st or 2nd in the group, we would be on the same side of the bracket as Mexico, meeting them in the semi finals if both Mexico and Canada won the quarter finals. This year they fixed that ridiculous set up and winning the group means avoiding Mexico until the final... assuming Mexico wins their group

They rig the bracket so mexico and the us won't play until the final if they both win their group. I haven't even looked it up but I can bet that's been the case over the years.

And I agree 100%, play the strongest squad, get the best result.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise