GC: Canada vs Haiti - Thursday, July 15th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific Kansas City

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

And yet but also, it is amazing to see how high the standards for this team have risen these past couple of years. The team, us fans, even some in the media, now expect us to handle teams like Haiti, Martinique and Cuba comfortably, despite there being a time not so long ago when a victory was never assured. (I mean, victories are not, in fact, ever assured. But you get my drift.)  Even after a very uneven, incohesive and lackluster performance, we still dispatched Haiti 4 - 1, and at no point was I overly worried of the result.  I was worried about the performance, especially in midfield, but I felt confident we'd pull out the win.

We've still got far to go, but we've taken at least a couple of excellent steps forward. Next step: Beating teams like Honduras, Jamaica and Costa Rica regularly.

well said. gone are the days when we squeak out a 2-1 win against a minnow. a couple 4-1 wins in a row and there's still a lot of room for improvement. things are looking up.

Geez I haven't posted on this forum for ages. Nice to be back.

Despite yesterday's 4-1 win, I thought it was close to the worst performance in Herdman era. Our boys were generally slow, disorganized and lacked concentration and motivation. 

- The amount of giveaways were staggering.
- Kaye is not having a great Gold Cup. I miss the Arfield-Piette duo, they were pretty good with transition.
- We all knew this, but our CB will get torn apart with better opposition. I already miss Kennedy. Replacing Piette for Eustaquio might be a good thing vs. the US.
- Not sure Cavallini + Larin works (despite Larin's 2 goals).

On a final note. It's good to finally bitch about games we win.

The ExpectedGoals were 1.2 to 0.5 so the score line was definitely flattering - obviously the two pens impacted change the story. I was somewhat surprised at Haiti not having more than 0.5 - they had a few great opportunities.

US’ 1-0 win over Haiti the xG was 2.0 to 0.2.

On 7/15/2021 at 1:43 AM, JohnnyFranchise said:

They rig the bracket so mexico and the us won't play until the final if they both win their group. I haven't even looked it up but I can bet that's been the case over the years.

And I agree 100%, play the strongest squad, get the best result.

This year is different. Sure it is rigged so that Mexico and USA don't face each other until the final if they both win their groups. But in 2019 and several tournaments before they set it up so that even if one of them slipped up and failed to win the group, they wouldn't play each other until the final. That's why Mexico was in our group but we would still face them in the semi final regardless of if we won or came 2nd in our group (provided we win the quarterfinal, which obviously we didn't do).

It's much more fair (or much less corrupt) how it is this year.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:14 PM, AvroArrow said:

If we all know it was intentional, is there any risk of CONCACAF increasing the suspension?

There is a risk of that, but in my opinion it would be stupid. If you don't want people doing this, fix your stupid rules!!! Would you rather he have gone in for a bad slide tackle? Or let a guy go past him and grab his jersey? I think it should be at least 3 yellows for accumulation. Why would the suspension be just as bad for getting 2 yellows in a span of 4 games as it is for getting 2 yellows in the same game?

On 7/16/2021 at 2:54 PM, Floortom said:

The ExpectedGoals were 1.2 to 0.5 so the score line was definitely flattering - obviously the two pens impacted change the story. I was somewhat surprised at Haiti not having more than 0.5 - they had a few great opportunities.

US’ 1-0 win over Haiti the xG was 2.0 to 0.2.

How was the XG  only 1.2, I though PKs were about 0.7 each? Unless you mean from open play.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, Gian-Luca said:

The confusion was based on half the posters on this forum quoting confusingly-written regs which were reasonably misinterpreted as stating that yellow cards were wiped out after the preliminary stage, which many people understandably thought meant the first round. Once it was pointed out that it was actually referring to the qualifying rounds to get into the Gold Cup rather than the preliminary round of the tournament itself), the confusion was cleared up and everyone understood why he did it.

For me the confusion didn't have anything to do with the Preliminary Round wording, since I was looking forward to those games and knew exactly what that phase of the tournament was called. To me the confusion was what it means to have the cards reset after the Quarter Final matches. I interpreted it as.

1. Quarter Final ends
2. Cards are thrown out the window

When it is apparently actually.

1. Quarter Final ends
2. Hand out any suspensions to the Semi Finals based on yellow card accumulation.
3. Remaining cards are thrown out the window.

It would be better if the wording was just "Players won't be suspended for card accumulation for the final match". Ambiguity eliminated.