GC: Canada vs Haiti - Thursday, July 15th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific Kansas City

Canada vs Haiti
Thursday, July 15th
7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific
Broadcast on ONESoccer

---

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
Cavallini
Eustáquio
Fraser
Johnston
Kaye
Vitória
"Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
the end of the Quarterfinals and shall not be carried over to the Semifinals of the
competition."

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/vu5ahqsc/2021_concacaf_gold_cup_regulation_-_eng.pdf

Canadian players that didn't get any minutes in the previous match:

St. Clair (GK)
Leutwiler (GK)
Pasher
Sturing
Akinola
Paton (but it was stated by Wheeler that he would be unavailable for this match EDIT: AFTER the group stage )

----

Haitian player's out with COVID19 per The Nouvelliste:
Raud (GK)
Duverger (GK)
Geffrard
Louicius
Pierrot

Haitian player's on a yellow card:
Expérience

Haiti, like us, might only have a 22-man squad I think.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Haitian player's out with COVID19 per The Nouvelliste:

Raud (GK)
Duverger (GK)
Geffrard
Louicius
Pierrot

Will these players still be out on Thursday or is there a chance they'll get back in?  Would really like to see Geffrard and Pierrot on the sidelines.

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Will these players still be out on Thursday or is there a chance they'll get back in?  Would really like to see Geffrard and Pierrot on the sidelines.

I have no idea TBH. I will assume not because Paton (who is isolating because of COVID cases within his club) won't be available for us. It would be weird for CONCACAF to be stricter with us than with Haiti, right? 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
the end of the Quarterfinals and shall not be carried over to the Semifinals of the
competition."

Just making sure im reading this right - cards clear twice?  So the cards for group games won’t carry into the quarters and cards issued at the quarters are cleared for the semis?

Edited by trc2014

18 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
competition."

Just making sure im reading this right - cards clear twice?  So the cards for group games won’t carry into the quarters and cards issued at the quarters are cleared for the semis?

You got it right. They clear after the group stage, then quarterfinal yellows don't carry over, so the semis are played with a clean slate.

This minimizes the chances of a star player missing the final (ballack in 2002 for example).

EDIT: i have been corrected, they cleared after the preliminary/qualification round, they then clear after the quarter finals.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
Cavallini
Eustáquio
Fraser
Johnston
Kaye
Vitória
"Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
competition."

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/vu5ahqsc/2021_concacaf_gold_cup_regulation_-_eng.pdf

Several of those yellow cards to Canada were dubious to say the least. The same can be said on a couple of occasions for infractions called against Martinique.We got CONCACAF'd by the ref. Canada needs to selectively appeal the most egregious of those yellow cards as they were very easily given.

Edited by Stoppage Time

Several of those yellow cards to Canada were dubious to say the least. The same can be said on a couple of occasions for infractions called against Martinique.We got CONCACAF'd by the ref. Canada needs to selectively appeal the most egregious of those yellow cards as they were very easily given.

We are leading the group on goal difference right now but then in our 2nd game facing Haiti, it is definitely going to be a tough game to say the least. Because the 6 players we have on a yellow card, do we start them and then risk them getting another yellow and then they aren't available to play against the USA in our last group game? I wouldn't take that risk if it's me. But then again knowing Herdman he will probably start those players.

11 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

You got it right. They clear after the group stage, then quarterfinal yellows don't carry over, so the semis are played with a clean slate.

This minimizes the chances of a star player missing the final (ballack in 2002 for example).

The preliminary round involved the games played to qualify to group stage , played last week. Those cards were cleared for a fresh group stage.

That means players are vulnerable for a suspension for 2 yellows in different games up until the QF. 2nd yellow in the QF would apply to the SF.

The structure is set up so that you can only miss the final if you get sent off in the SF (or if you get suspended for more matches before that)

21 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

The preliminary round involved the games played to qualify to group stage , played last week. Those cards were cleared for a fresh group stage.

That means players are vulnerable for a suspension for 2 yellows in different games up until the QF. 2nd yellow in the QF would apply to the SF.

The structure is set up so that you can only miss the final if you get sent off in the SF (or if you get suspended for more matches before that)

So I had it wrong.  I read the preliminary stage as the group stage.  I had originally expected the yellows given yesterday to only clear after the quarters, consistent with prior years, so this makes more sense but is unfortunate.  

2 hours ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification!

2 hours ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

This.

If it had been otherwise, the teams that had to be involved in the prelims would have been at a disadvantage compared to the others who qualified directly.

----

The USA vs Haiti match reminded me of the first half of our match against them in Chicago.

----

My lineup would be roughly:

Akinola - Cavallini

Pasher - Osorio - Kaye - Piette - Laryea

Miller - Sturing - Henry

St. Clair

I don't think Osorio will play another full game though.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This.

If it had been otherwise, the teams that had to be involved in the prelims would have been at a disadvantage compared to the others who qualified directly.

----

The USA vs Haiti match reminded me of the first half of our match against them in Chicago.

----

Akinola - Cavallini

Miller - Sturing - Henry

St. Clair

I feel you don’t rate Larin, and I’d like to understand it.  I’m very much on the fence still from a National team perspective (which feels insane given the number of goals he’s had).

Or are you just resting him for the US game?

Edited by trc2014

Did I miss Osorio picking up a knock??  if anyone.. I would let kaye sit a game.  He looked very rattled and was chirping at the refs etc.  Its a good learning experience for the team to see exactly the kind of shit to expect in the Ocho.  If we keep getting "most" of the team together for these kinds of lessons, it will pay off in the fall.  

14 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I completely agree a few didn't even look like a foul let alone a yellow. 

If anything it would send a good precedent to not just hand out 6 yellows. Honestly we were not even banging out that hard and to get 6 yellows was ridiculous. Pick 1 or maybe 2 and appeal the most blatant mistakes (if that is possible).  I would hope concacaf allows for yellows to be rescinded? 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This.

----

----

Akinola - Cavallini

Miller - Sturing - Henry

St. Clair

I’d start Buchanan, Johnston and Eustaquio. If the latter two are suspended for the USA game so be it. Job A is to beat Haiti and advance. 

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This.

----

----

Akinola - Cavallini

Miller - Sturing - Henry

St. Clair

Yes, like we are disadvantaged in the Octo as our yellow cards from the earlier rounds are not cleared 😕

Yeah but if we beat Haiti and USA beat Martinique, it is going to come down to goal difference in the last game when we face USA especially because we would both have 6 points going into final match day. But also whoever finishes 1st in the group avoids Mexico in the quarter finals. Easier path to the Final.