WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

In seeing the Olympic roster released, I’ve seen the bright side in that our national pool is getting bigger, more players are getting opportunities in competitive national team environments - which is only a positive in the long run.

It got me thinking, and looking. Are we really in the scary position that we like to think we are in for these upcoming qualifiers? I know we’ve heard several issues facing us - injuries, players isolating, guys are outta shape, and some other noncommittal factors.  

However when we look at the entire pool of players, and factor in guys level of where they are playing, experience, age trajectory etc I think we have more than enough fit and ready guys who play at levels of guys who have been called in previously to play against tougher competition. Just take a look at some of our Europe based players, currently in season, or about to start:

1. Alphonso Davies
2. Jonathan David
3. Stephen Eustaquio
4. Liam Millar
5. Harry Paton*
6. Cyle Larin 
7. David Wootherspoon 
8. Charlie Trafford
9. Scott Arfield 
10. Atiba Hutchinson 
11. Milan Borjan 
12. Jayson Leutwiler 
13. Samuel Adekugbe 
14. Canniggia Elva*
15. Theo Corbeanu 
16. Junior Hoilett 
17. Manjrekar James
18. Richie Ennin*
19. Andrew Hainault 
20. Dominick Zator*
21. Kianz Froese*

Looking at this list, and looking at Bermuda and Cayman Island rosters. Even without the MLS guys in Cavallini, Tesho, Miller, Johnston, Kaye, Piette and the Covid quarantining TFC guys- are we really that short on quality/in shape guys that could beat Bermuda? I don’t think so.

It’s all been talks of Nahki Wells this, Nahki Wells that....well he might not be there, so who gets mentioned next Reggie Lambe? Who is playing in a lower league than Michael Petrasso - who I should’ve listed!

I know a lot is on the line, but we can’t be afraid to cast the net in these dire situations. When we look back, we might be celebrating 50+ players who were apart of qualifying for 2022. 

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

In seeing the Olympic roster released, I’ve seen the bright side in that our national pool is getting bigger, more players are getting opportunities in competitive national team environments - which is only a positive in the long run.

It got me thinking, and looking. Are we really in the scary position that we like to think we are in for these upcoming qualifiers? I know we’ve heard several issues facing us - injuries, players isolating, guys are outta shape, and some other noncommittal factors.  

However when we look at the entire pool of players, and factor in guys level of where they are playing, experience, age trajectory etc I think we have more than enough fit and ready guys who play at levels of guys who have been called in previously to play against tougher competition. Just take a look at some of our Europe based players, currently in season, or about to start:

1. Alphonso Davies
2. Jonathan David
3. Stephen Eustaquio
4. Liam Millar
5. Harry Paton*
6. Cyle Larin 
7. David Wootherspoon 
8. Charlie Trafford
9. Scott Arfield 
10. Atiba Hutchinson 
11. Milan Borjan 
12. Jayson Leutwiler 
13. Samuel Adekugbe 
14. Canniggia Elva*
15. Theo Corbeanu 
16. Junior Hoilett 
17. Manjrekar James
18. Richie Ennin*
19. Andrew Hainault 
20. Dominick Zator*
21. Kianz Froese*

Looking at this list, and looking at Bermuda and Cayman Island rosters. Even without the MLS guys in Cavallini, Tesho, Miller, Johnston, Kaye, Piette and the Covid quarantining TFC guys- are we really that short on quality/in shape guys that could beat Bermuda? I don’t think so.

It’s all been talks of Nahki Wells this, Nahki Wells that....well he might not be there, so who gets mentioned next Reggie Lambe? Who is playing in a lower league than Michael Petrasso - who I should’ve listed!

I know a lot is on the line, but we can’t be afraid to cast the net in these dire situations. When we look back, we might be celebrating 50+ players who were apart of qualifying for 2022. 

It is just a lingering inferiority complex based on past disappointments.  The reality is that teams like Bermuda, Surinam etc better be damn scared of us.   We have one of the scariest attacks in CONCACAF and are solid from top to bottom.  Yeah, we may sit around nervously dithering about who another team may call up, but they should be shitting their pants at the thought of Davies, David, Larin, Arfield, etc racing towards their 18 yard box.  

im the captain now GIF

the era of underestimating teams is really over..teams are getting stronger and gaps closing for different reasons..cant just look at player pools and say we should smash them..its must win games or close to it and we've seen plenty of ''upsets''..call the best available, prepare well and execute

Just now, Floortom said:

A neutral field with no preparation lends itself to more flukey results. We barely beat an atrocious Cuba squad 1-0 last year under similar circumstances. Also, goal differential could end up mattering at the end of the group stage. 

Cuba has always been around though....always.
If you've been watching Cuba for the past 10-15yrs you know that there squad should be a lotttttt stronger than it is. 

And as other teams get better, we are getting even stronger! The gap isn't closing - nothing suggests that (maybe the bottom tier to mid tier), it's the levels in Concacaf that are just getting higher!

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Cuba has always been around though....always.
If you've been watching Cuba for the past 10-15yrs you know that there squad should be a lotttttt stronger than it is. 

And as other teams get better, we are getting even stronger! The gap isn't closing - nothing suggests that (maybe the bottom tier to mid tier), it's the levels in Concacaf that are just getting higher!

Cuba just got a hell of a lot better with the addition of Odel Hernandez, they have always been a fit athletic side and believe me when they are able to play their home matches at that stadium we were at in Havana it will not be an easy match for anyone in the heat and humidity on a bumpy pitch!

Honest question from someone clearly on the lower tier of soccer knowledge on the forum.  

Is Crepeau the most overrated senior team player?

I feel like he has been shaky at ever CMNT game he’s played (granted limited).  I’m not convinced he can handle pressure. He was the best player on an awful 2019 Whitecaps team with zero pressure to do well, given how bad the team was in front of him.

Happy to be put in my place on this one! Haha

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Honest question from someone clearly on the lower tier of soccer knowledge on the forum.  

Is Crepeau the most overrated senior team player?

I feel like he has been shaky at ever CMNT game he’s played (granted limited).  I’m not convinced he can handle pressure. He was the best player on an awful 2019 Whitecaps team with zero pressure to do well, given how bad the team was in front of him.

Happy to be put in my place on this one! Haha

I don't know about "the most"...but I do think he's perhaps somewhat overrated.

A lot was made of his performance for Vancouver in the 2019 season, but that side got hammered quite regularly. When you get peppered with shots because your team is poor, you get a lot of chances to come up with saves, at least if you're a competent keeper, which he is. The problem is that when you let a few weak ones in you probably get cut a little more slack than if you're the keeper for a top side.

I think the jury is out on just how good Crepeau is, but I do think at minimum he's an average starting keeper at the MLS level, which is good for 2nd or 3rd string for Canada, depending on how St. Clair keeps developing. 

As for who the most overrated senior player is, which is something I have never really considered, I would probably go with Doneil Henry, just because he's still very inconsistent, and you need consistency from your center backs. Fans, pundits, and even the coaching staff seem to back him to start for Canada, when available. However, we've seen red cards and big mistakes from him, even as recently as Nations League, so even though he is touted as one of our best options, there is certainly evidence to the contrary, which arguably makes him overrated.

As for underrated, I would probably go with Osorio. His importance tends to go understated, I find. Perhaps it's because he doesn't play in Europe and doesn't enter the conversations when it comes to best MLS midfielders, but for years he's been a core player for one of the best sides over the last 4-5 seasons. He's won every domestic trophy available to him. He was even named to the Champions League all-tournament team during Toronto's run to the final against Chivas. Yet somehow, Mark Anthony-Kaye maybe gets a little more headlines because of the popularity of LAFC. MAK has been an All-Star and his USL rags-to-LAFC-riches story put the spotlight on him. Very good player, but perhaps a little overrated.

I wonder if Ricardo Ferreira is going to get his first cap after switching nations.

According to Transfermarkt he hasn't been playing, let alone featured on the bench for a lower Portuguese side team. 

I don't think he's injured, but given his "announcement" in February, one has to believe he's getting the call.

Edited by JasonDias

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

I wonder if Ricardo Ferreira is going to get his first cap after switching nations.

According to Transfermarkt he hasn't been playing, let alone featured on the bench for a lower Portuguese side team. 

I don't think he's injured, but given his "announcement" in February, one has to believe he's getting the call.

Considering how few CBs we have right now I have to agree we will likely see him in march

36 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

At this rate Unattached FC might give us Dejan Jaković too.

I wonder what's good with Dejan right now? He had a revival with LAFC and he'd be a great option right now, given our injury crisis.

Unfortunately he's not with any club, but none of the North American players are active right now anyways.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

As for underrated, I would probably go with Osorio. His importance tends to go understated, I find. Perhaps it's because he doesn't play in Europe and doesn't enter the conversations when it comes to best MLS midfielders, but for years he's been a core player for one of the best sides over the last 4-5 seasons. He's won every domestic trophy available to him. He was even named to the Champions League all-tournament team during Toronto's run to the final against Chivas. Yet somehow, Mark Anthony-Kaye maybe gets a little more headlines because of the popularity of LAFC. MAK has been an All-Star and his USL rags-to-LAFC-riches story put the spotlight on him. Very good player, but perhaps a little overrated.

100% agree with this

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wonder what's good with Dejan right now? He had a revival with LAFC and he'd be a great option right now, given our injury crisis.

Unfortunately he's not with any club, but none of the North American players are active right now anyways.

Maybe he plays in March (& June too?) and plays a final year of his career in CPL?

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't know about "the most"...but I do think he's perhaps somewhat overrated.

A lot was made of his performance for Vancouver in the 2019 season, but that side got hammered quite regularly. When you get peppered with shots because your team is poor, you get a lot of chances to come up with saves, at least if you're a competent keeper, which he is. The problem is that when you let a few weak ones in you probably get cut a little more slack than if you're the keeper for a top side.

I think the jury is out on just how good Crepeau is, but I do think at minimum he's an average starting keeper at the MLS level, which is good for 2nd or 3rd string for Canada, depending on how St. Clair keeps developing. 

As for who the most overrated senior player is, which is something I have never really considered, I would probably go with Doneil Henry, just because he's still very inconsistent, and you need consistency from your center backs. Fans, pundits, and even the coaching staff seem to back him to start for Canada, when available. However, we've seen red cards and big mistakes from him, even as recently as Nations League, so even though he is touted as one of our best options, there is certainly evidence to the contrary, which arguably makes him overrated.

Funny, I feel Henry is rated pretty poorly on here. 

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL