WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

And gets the shut out. Not sure who that was who got injured giving up probably the worst goal I have ever seen the senior team give up (Leutweiler?) but they may have taken him out of the line-up due to shame rather than injury.

Callum Irving started the game but was replaced by Sean Melvin (currently playing for Colorado Springs in USL).  Melvin was the one that got injured.

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

And gets the shut out. Not sure who that was who got injured giving up probably the worst goal I have ever seen the senior team give up (Leutweiler?) but they may have taken him out of the line-up due to shame rather than injury.

1) Leutwiler has never conceded a goal when playing for the #CanMNT

2) The keeper was Sean Melvin. That was his one and only cap for the #CanMNT .

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Melvin

https://www.canadasoccer.com/national-teams/matches/national-team-match-past/?matchId=1429

Edit:

@narduch posted it faster! :)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What does OneSoccer know that we don't?

Has our match against Bermuda been moved up from 8pm to 7:30pm?

They might know as much as we do ... that post says that El Salvador U23 game is at 6 pm ET, but they clearly said in today (Monday)'s One Soccer Today that kickoff is at 5:36 pm ET.
image.thumb.png.b588cbc670be404868ca72780035f5a6.png

Edited by nfitz

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Tangentially related, Bermuda canceled its domestic season. This article also reiterates their national team covid issues.

https://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/sport/article/20210315/bermudas-world-cup-qualifier-against-aruba-switched-to-florida/

Sounds like they should be good to go. The 14 day quarantine ends on the 22nd which was their scheduled day of departure to Florida anyways. I suppose it’s an issue from the sense that they can’t train internally until then.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Those start times make sense based on the times listed on Concacaf's official website.

The Canada U23 game would have a half hour pre game show.

A 5:36 broadcast time makes sense for a 6 pm kickoff. But the host yesterday very clearly said kickoff was 5:36. Presumably the broadcast would start earlier. But I agree ... looks more like a 5:30 broadcast for a 6 pm game. The times for the other 3 games match.

The schedule on the website says One Soccer Today is at 5:36, and the game is at 6:06. I don't know what that mans though, as there was little resemblance between their schedule yesterday and what they broadcast - with One Soccer Today airing an hour before it showed in their schedule.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

The Onesoccer schedule also shows a post game show. Nice!

A 2.5 hour post-game show ... :)  I get the impression their schedules are aspirational rather than actual ...

Edited by nfitz

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

A 5:36 broadcast time makes sense for a 6 pm kickoff. But the host yesterday very clearly said kickoff was 5:36. Presumably the broadcast would start earlier. But I agree ... looks more like a 5:30 broadcast for a 6 pm game. The times for the other 3 games match.

The schedule on the website says One Soccer Today is at 5:36, and the game is at 6:06. I don't know what that mans though, as there was little resemblance between their schedule yesterday and what they broadcast - with One Soccer Today airing an hour before it showed in their schedule.

A 2.5 hour post-game show ... :)  I get the impression their schedules are aspirational rather than actual ...

Everything about CMNT is aspirational! 

20 hours ago, JasonDias said:

I don't want to share too much, I'm sure the CSA is well aware of the differences and doing the best they can with what they are given, but how do you expect players to front almost all the costs of playing for their national team and then apply for a reimbursement at the end of the international window?

How can you expect some 20 year old Canadian who plays in the CPL to front money they might not have?

I bet you Crosby never had to book a flight, pay for his meals and layover stays just to play in Vancouver during the Olympics. 

Edit - ah maybe I said too much lol 

- also not sure if this applies to the Senior Team/ if this is just an Olympic qualifying thing. 

I am surprised that this information didn’t get more of a response from the group.  The more you reflect on it the more you realize that the successes we have had have been in spite of the system, not because of it.  Our players pay their own way and then submit for reimbursement?  Is that the norm in World football?  
We fly dozens of junior hockey players from all over the country and put them up in camps for weeks but our men’s national soccer team gets next to nothing. Financially we are a minnow, and it just goes to show you how committed our players truly are.  And why we will most likely lose dual nationals who can play for first class national programs. 
We need to find a way to get some money into the program well prior to 2026 so that we can actually compete on a more level playing field with teams like the USA and Mexico.  I worry too that if we fall behind countries like Haiti and Curaçao and Suriname that soccer will drop off the sporting landscape in Canada and become even less important  except to the small, committed group on here. 

10 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I am surprised that this information didn’t get more of a response from the group.  The more you reflect on it the more you realize that the successes we have had have been in spite of the system, not because of it.  Our players pay their own way and then submit for reimbursement?  Is that the norm in World football?  
We fly dozens of junior hockey players from all over the country and put them up in camps for weeks but our men’s national soccer team gets next to nothing. Financially we are a minnow, and it just goes to show you how committed our players truly are.  And why we will most likely lose dual nationals who can play for first class national programs. 
We need to find a way to get some money into the program well prior to 2026 so that we can actually compete on a more level playing field with teams like the USA and Mexico.  I worry too that if we fall behind countries like Haiti and Curaçao and Suriname that soccer will drop off the sporting landscape in Canada and become even less important  except to the small, committed group on here. 

Hell we are already behind horse racing.  How much further can we fall?

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah its not mystery as to why we have no money.. because we make no money. Why the confusion?

But if we put ourselves in the right position I think we can start to change that 

Definitely doesn't seem like that'll happen with the team in charge at the moment, and I'm not talking about the coaches.  Wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason we lost Zambrano.

29 minutes ago, costarg said:

Definitely doesn't seem like that'll happen with the team in charge at the moment, and I'm not talking about the coaches.  Wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason we lost Zambrano.

I disagree. If we get in to the Octagon and there are no major fan restrictions. You can have all the games lined up with time to market and if they do well. I think you'll see packed stadiums, apparel flying, social media activity, whatever they need to create revenue. I think we have very marketable and good talent for once

5 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Here's a quote from a Molinaro article shortly after Herdman's first game as head coach back in 2018 that I may have altered slightly: 

One of the important messages Herdman has communicated to his players is that they can’t be afraid to lose. He doesn’t want to see Canada simply “grinding it out” in games, as has long been the team’s modus operandi under previous coaches. Instead, the Englishman wants Canada to force the issue on <insert> stay off <insert> the pitch, rather than simply responding to what their opponents do.

Veteran Canadian defender David Edgar added: “John has come in and set out his clear vision for the team. That’s massive for us a group; we have a clear vision and a distinct set of principles as players and men off the field. It’s almost a code of conduct, and I think it’s something we desperately needed.” <insert> "Once we get the off the field stuff sorted, we'll worry about the on field vision and principles, but I will be retired by then." <insert>

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I disagree. If we get in to the Octagon and there are no major fan restrictions. You can have all the games lined up with time to market and if they do well. I think you'll see packed stadiums, apparel flying, social media activity, whatever they need to create revenue. I think we have very marketable and good talent for once

CSA needs to downsize first.... their org chart is over bloated for the overall output. 

We have a real problem when 30-35% of our revenue has been dependent on recreational and competitive player, coach and referee fees. The past year has shown that.

No way this is normal in other federation’s. But I hate talking about this, as it never goes anywhere/we can’t do anything but complain about the money ...oR lAcK tHeReOf

7 hours ago, Shway said:

CSA needs to downsize first.... their org chart is over bloated for the overall output. 

We have a real problem when 30-35% of our revenue has been dependent on recreational and competitive player, coach and referee fees. The past year has shown that.

No way this is normal in other federation’s. But I hate talking about this, as it never goes anywhere/we can’t do anything but complain about the money ...oR lAcK tHeReOf

You’ve seen the CSA org chart? Please share. We have a thread dedicated to this topic titled “CSA Finances” or something like that, it would be worthwhile posting there.

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL