WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

I'm watching the Canelo fight and there is a replacement fighter who got off a flight from Mexico 16 hrs before stepping in the ring. Good on Florida for not creating bogus lists and preventing people from earning a living and moving across borders. Discrimination should not be accepted. Hopefully our Canadian players are extended the same treatment and rights in a few weeks 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I was under the impression that UK based players only have to quarantine upon return if they were in a “red list “ country - the US is not on that red list so I wouldn’t think there would be an issue for any of those players to accept a call.

I don't think they have to quarantine at all upon return. The UK has an 'Elite Sportsperson' exemption.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think they have to quarantine at all upon return. The UK has an 'Elite Sportsperson' exemption.

Yes, elitesportspersons have no need to quarantine unless they return from a red list country. So I don’t see a reason why Bermuda wouldn’t get their UK contingent - unless the players just don’t want to go for whatever reason

As an example, Shelina Zadorsky just played against Brazil in Florida on Wednesday and today is starting for Tottenham women's side.

There really is no reason why we can't call all our UK based players, unless we are trying to play nice with their clubs.

Of course the same goes for Bermuda. But I noticed one of their lower league players already backed out.

You all remember how for decades, when Canada had a qualifier for a tournament, we'd have a few players who would stay in Europe because they would lose their spot and maybe not regain it for that team for months at a time. Even five  years ago this was happening. Now we have depth, so some players can stay in Europe/MLS and our talent level doesn't drop precipitously. Bermuda and Suriname are in the same boat we used to be in today. Losing two or three players this way would seriously impact them.

Edited by Trois Reds
Fixing post

1 hour ago, Trois Reds said:

You all remember how for decades, when Canada had a qualifier for a tournament, we'd have a few players who would stay in Europe because they would lose their spot and maybe not regain it for that team for months at a time. Even five  years ago this was happening. Now we have depth, so some players can stay in Europe/MLS and our talent level doesn't drop precipitously. Bermuda and Suriname are in the same boat we used to be in today. Losing two or three players this way would seriously impact them.

The other part of this is only the Championship and Premier League break for internationals.  Other than Nahki Wells, their players have to miss club matches.  At those lower levels, most players are on tenuous one year contracts so it's a difficult position.  

So Kennedy is now hurt, James is riding the bench in Greece, Korean league started and Henry was nowhere to be seen last night and Vitoria wasn’t in his last game. Eek! Those were the four CBs (that I know about) that could be possibly be playing games before qualifying and they are not getting minutes. Not good. 
If fitness and playing time is critical (which it is) and herdman has identified this I think we might see a real mix of players: Wotherspoon, Salomon (Israel), Aleman, Twardek are all starting and playing now. I suspect at least some of them to be called. Too bad they aren’t CBs. 

11 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

So Kennedy is now hurt, James is riding the bench in Greece, Korean league started and Henry was nowhere to be seen last night and Vitoria wasn’t in his last game. Eek! Those were the four CBs (that I know about) that could be possibly be playing games before qualifying and they are not getting minutes. Not good. 
If fitness and playing time is critical (which it is) and herdman has identified this I think we might see a real mix of players: Wotherspoon, Salomon (Israel), Aleman, Twardek are all starting and playing now. I suspect at least some of them to be called. Too bad they aren’t CBs. 

zator is fit and playing in sweden. 

My best guess at the squad:

GKs: Borjan, Crepeau, Carducci

RBs: Laryea, Johnston

CBs: Ferreira, Miller, James, Zator

LBs: Adekugbe, Soloman

CMs: Eustáquio, Piette, MAK, Osorio, Wotherspoon, Teibert

Wingers/ST: Davies, David, Hoilett, Larin, Akindele, Ricketts

XI: (4-3-3) Borjan, Laryea, Ferreira, Miller, Adekugbe, Piette, Eustáquio, MAK, Larin, Davies, David

Vitória, Henry, Kennedy all just getting back from injuries or are still injured. Millar probably won't get released. Could see Waterman or Didic instead of Zator.

7 minutes ago, NVsoccer said:

Millar probably won't get released.

I think he will, only for this match and will fly back after (not stick around for the match vs The Caymans). Even with a quarantine of 10 days he could play for Charlton on April 6th. (but only @spitfire knows ;)  )

10 minutes ago, NVsoccer said:

Vitória...just getting back from injuries 

If Vitória plays is in the squad tomorrow for Moreirense, he will call I think.

7 hours ago, narduch said:

As an example, Shelina Zadorsky just played against Brazil in Florida on Wednesday and today is starting for Tottenham women's side.

There really is no reason why we can't call all our UK based players, unless we are trying to play nice with their clubs.

Of course the same goes for Bermuda. But I noticed one of their lower league players already backed out.

Justin Donawa is the player who backed out. He plays in the national league for Solihull Moors. https://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/sport/article/20210227/justin-donawa-out-of-world-cup-qualifiers/

53 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Agreed - I think you need to pull Cornelius out of the Olympic squad.  The Vitoria/Cornelius combo at the first US game was our best CB combo in recent times.

Cornelius has played for the full CMNT.  I can’t imagine him being left with the u23s while lesser CBs get pulled into WCQ.  

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

they are playing first tier teams regularly and I will take Zator over James at the moment. 

James has a pedigree at playing at decent levels. He’s played in Champions League, CantMNT, first tier Danish. That experience matters. He’s not my ideal CB candidate by any stretch but I would take him over a guy who’s career has never ascended higher than CanPL. No question about that for me. 

Plus James has already been there...played plenty with national team already.  And if we are really scraping, why wouldnt Watermans name come up? He was the CPL guy who actually jumped to MLS (above Zator), and played pretty good, is he hurt or something? If the other MLS guys are going to be fit enough and ready to go, why not Waterman?  

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Plus James has already been there...played plenty with national team already.  And if we are really scraping, why wouldnt Watermans name come up? He was the CPL guy who actually jumped to MLS (above Zator), and played pretty good, is he hurt or something? If the other MLS guys are going to be fit enough and ready to go, why not Waterman?  

Agree on Waterman. Only downside is that he is out of season, like all domestic players. With Kennedy likely out I think we call James. I am not sure we start James though. Give me Vitoria and whoever earns the right to play alongside him. If that's an out of season Waterman or Miller over James, so be it.

All of that said, Zator is playing games. Can't discount that entirely. 

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL