WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Bermuda player(s) test positive for Covid after their Florida camp.

Wonder if this will put the window in jeopardy.

https://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/sport/article/20210312/bermuda-footballers-test-positive-after-florida-trip/

Shouldn't put the game in jeopardy but maybe put their ability to field a team in jeopardy.  We're missing out on players (TFC) because of potential Covid results, but we'll still field a team.  Bermuda should have to do the same.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

They played 2 friendlies against the Bahamas there. Perhaps the Covid protocols for both nations made it easier that way?

I believe Bermuda's league is shut down. So perhaps their health authority wouldn't allow for the friendlies to be played there? They are hosting Aruba on March 30 however.

I know they played the friendlies vs Bahamas in Florida. I just mean why make 2 trips? Either don’t play a friendly at all or have enough awareness to play the games closer to the 25th to limit your travel so they can just stay in Florida. 

32 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Shouldn't put the game in jeopardy but maybe put their ability to field a team in jeopardy.  We're missing out on players (TFC) because of potential Covid results, but we'll still field a team.  Bermuda should have to do the same.

Absolutely this.  We don’t have the luxury of postponing games in this window.  We are making due with the players we have at our disposal - they should as well.  

I think the CONCACAF qualifiers will go ahead as planned.  But I would not be shocked if they are postponed in the next few days (just gut feeling).  What would be really stupid would be to postpone them once players had already travelled.

Also, if the Bermuda players are now going to have to quarantine for 14 days before being released, what kind of a team are they going to be able to put out there against us?  Not a good one.

17 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think the CONCACAF qualifiers will go ahead as planned.  But I would not be shocked if they are postponed in the next few days (just gut feeling).  What would be really stupid would be to postpone them once players had already travelled.

Also, if the Bermuda players are now going to have to quarantine for 14 days before being released, what kind of a team are they going to be able to put out there against us?  Not a good one.

I think they will power through and try to make it work. A lot of nations are either already in camp or will be very soon.

But there will end up being hiccups. 

I actually wonder what happens if a team starts getting a lot of positive covid tests right before a match. Will they have to forfeit or will it be postponed. 

Forfeit games may fuck teams over as goal difference may be crucial with this group format. 

I’m sure they can pull together a squad. It mentioned a few guys didn’t travel (Reggie Lambe), so I guess they will just have to grab some lower level Bermuda league guys. As I mentioned before, I can’t believe they thought it was a good idea to book an overseas training camp 2 weeks before huge qualifiers. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I think they will power through and try to make it work. A lot of nations are either already in camp or will be very soon.

But there will end up being hiccups. 

I actually wonder what happens if a team starts getting a lot of positive covid tests right before a match. Will they have to forfeit or will it be postponed. 

Forfeit games may fuck teams over as goal difference may be crucial with this group format. 

I think in the worst case scenario most of us would take a 3-0 win if Bermuda was to forfeit, I want this match to be played though, we need a competetive match! 

If Bermuda get depleted I think they'd rather take the forfeit 3-0 than bring a severely depleted squad and then lose like 10 nothing.

If this game is forfeited I hope to god Canada schedules a friendly to take its place. But lol they'll probably be ecstatic to save money.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:42 PM, JuicyHam said:

I would love Davies to be there but I would also hate to see him potentially miss Champions league 

I think having Davies in 1 or 2 must win World Cup Qualifying matches is well worth the price of him potentially missing a Champions League 2nd leg match where his team is up 3 goals on aggregate, with 4 away goals.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

I think having Davies in 1 or 2 must win World Cup Qualifying matches is well worth the price of him potentially missing a Champions League 2nd leg match where his team is up 3 goals on aggregate, with 4 away goals.

A bit confused on this talk about missing WC qualifiers vs Champions League. The schedules don't overlap.

Bayern's second leg is this Wednesday. Quarter-finals are set for late April to early May. So even if Germany had quarantine rules for travelling to the US, there is plenty of leeway. 

David will have an issue as Lille plays PSG on April 3rd for likely the French title. With France's 7 day quarantine period for those coming outside of the EU, David will need to miss the Cayman match to play vs PSG.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, gator said:

I think in the worst case scenario most of us would take a 3-0 win if Bermuda was to forfeit, I want this match to be played though, we need a competetive match! 

I'd think a worst-case scenario for us would be us forfeiting because of Covid.

Just shut it down, and delay it until June. Sneak in a couple of extra games around the Gold Cup to make up for it - most of these teams aren't even in the Gold Cup.

11 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'd think a worst-case scenario for us would be us forfeiting because of Covid.

Just shut it down, and delay it until June. Sneak in a couple of extra games around the Gold Cup to make up for it - most of these teams aren't even in the Gold Cup.

It’s would be an overkill of games. Players just finishing the run in of their competitions, and then to play a mini tournament/8 games in June right before the Gold Cup!. Suriname have qualified already for the GC, and Bermuda are favourites to qualify against Montserrat. 

Not possible. 

If it’s bring your best available players - then so be it. We will be alright, even if we’re hit by Covid. I’m confident we got the guys to handle Bermuda and USVI.

Let’s play ball!

1 hour ago, Shway said:

It’s would be an overkill of games.

Then add an extra day to the November window. And an early June date, before the Confederation qualifier.

Good grief, the current schedule has qualifying finished in March, which is 7 months before the World Cup. There's still room for another big delay without having to worry too much.

I'm concerned about the number of players testing positive. With 10% of those testing positive, getting these long-haul symptoms ... how many are we going to lose for a year ... or more?

4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Then add an extra day to the November window. And an early June date, before the Confederation qualifier.

Isn't the plan for those windows to include more dates to accommodate more games already? I thought it was confirmed that the Octo was going to be 3 match days.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Isn't the plan for those windows to include more dates to accommodate more games already? I thought it was confirmed that the Octo was going to be 3 match days.

Yes ... for some windows. But the November window is still only 2 games.

Edited by nfitz

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL