Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

Matt Doyle and co. are on ETR saying that it would be unwise for Canada to press the USA. His comment was (I am paraphrasing) that Mexico pressed us and it hurt us, but Canada are not Mexico. Is he saying that Mexico press particularly well and there's no evidence our press would be as effective?

I guess you guys can decide, but either way that lot seem to think the US will play through our press with ease. I think they are overeating themselves. They also repeatedly say they expect the US to win the possession battle, or say that Canada won't have most of the ball, as if this was some forgone conclusion.

Perhaps I am being a homer, but when I look at both teams there is nothing to suggest we cannot match them in posession. Whether we do is another thing, but if they are expecting to out-posess us 70/30, on the road away from home, they are dreaming. Mckennie, Bradley, Roldan, Lleget, Yueill, Trapp...whoever they go with is not going to pass circles around Arfield, Kaye, Osorio or Piette. They may win the possession battle because of how they want to play, but I can see us winning the ball in key areas (Piette & Kaye esp) and putting them under pressure, leading to a lot of frantic moments, which should hopefully scramble their offensive patterns.

This won't be the same as parking the bus against Mexico, but their media seems to think we are going to sit back and hit them on the counter. No, I think we are going to play an open game against them and try to play them off the park. We have the players to do it, if everyone has a good game. If our lads aren't focused and dialed in, the Americans can hurt us just as easily. 

I think it's going to come down to who wants it more, especially in the midfield.

Edited by Obinna

On 10/12/2019 at 7:12 PM, Aird25 said:

Is everyone suddenly supportive of Davies at LB? I feel like those pointing out the merits of that have been taking flak for ages

I'll bite!

Two  things about playing Davies at LB:

• Our 11 is more talented and have a higher soccer IQ with Davies at LB, even though we might not be stronger defensively or offensively.  I feel we’ll still be a better team and harder to break down.

• If Bayern f’in Munich thinks he can play LB, who are we to question that?

That being said, I still prefer a 3-4-3.  

--Hoilett / Cavallini / David

Davies / Piette / Arfield / Kaye 

--Miller / Vitoria / Cornelius

My second option is a 4-3-3 with Davies at LB.  We will get destroyed with either Cordova, Miller or Adekugbe at LB.  

• Cordova - not enough experience playing with Cornelius and Vitoria at the center of D.

• Miller - talented, intelligent, but too young and inexperienced to play vs their wingers.

• Adekugbe - Just not good enough vs the US.

Edited by costarg

5 hours ago, king1010 said:

If we split wins against the US we’re probably knocked out due to goal differential. Need 4 points, 3 wont do. 

I think we can get four points.  I respect this opponent but we shouldn't be kissing the ring.

At the end of it all, I want us to be a tough out, at the very least.  We could get CONCACAFed by reffing or we could have genuine bad luck and come second best in the group. Whatever. As a supporter, I want to see a mentally tough side that goes down swinging.

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I went to check ticket sales and after a delay it said the match is sold out. Anyone else seeing that?

No. It took a long time to load the page, which is a good sign I suppose but there's loads available on the west upper deck. I really don't understand these ticket prices, and why the CSA would not rather gamble on lower price = bigger crowd = more amped team = more likely to win. Maybe price isn't a big deciding factor though. 
1777943108_ScreenShot2019-10-14at10_12_33PM.thumb.png.95264839cecca02a1b0b684c400dede5.png

45 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I went to check ticket sales and after a delay it said the match is sold out. Anyone else seeing that?

Ya i saw that. Its back up now. I got a high volume msg which was causing ticketmaster to go wonky. Looks like tickets are still moving at a decent pace. Maybe 16k sold. With a decent walkup maybe hit 18k. 

15 minutes ago, grigorio said:

No. It took a long time to load the page, which is a good sign I suppose but there's loads available on the west upper deck. I really don't understand these ticket prices, and why the CSA would not rather gamble on lower price = bigger crowd = more amped team = more likely to win. Maybe price isn't a big deciding factor though. 
1777943108_ScreenShot2019-10-14at10_12_33PM.thumb.png.95264839cecca02a1b0b684c400dede5.png

The cheaper tickets are definitely moving faster. But they arent all sold out, so price isnt the ultimate factor. Still, I think the CSA shouldve priced everything(save for clubs) under $50.  Something like 20,30,40,50. May have gotten more ppl on the fence to bite earlier and create more buzz snowballing to more ticket sales. 

9 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

In the 2014 World Cup Costa Rica finished first in a group consisting of England, Italy, and Uruguay.

Now if you're talking purely about size and population, I guess I can't argue with you, but a lot of good European soccer countries are rinky dink compared to the US in that sense.

Only two countries in the world, currently, with populations greater than the US. Most everything else is "rinky dink" in comparison.

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Look I'm doing a bit of schtik. But personally , I'm sick of the disrespect. Earning respect starts with respecting yourself. I think we're good.. period. And I'm hoping on Tuesday we prove that to everyone. I'm excited for Canada to earn some props. Peace and love to all. Let's do this

**** yeah!  And let the Yanks feel they are the superior team, sure to trounce us--with style, nonetheless. I don't care if we play pretty; let's just get the win.  (Okay, I want us to play attractive, smart football, but mostly I want to see a cohesive performance from the lads.)

Excited to see Bradley battle Kaye and Arfield. Very curious to see how that plays out.

I think the Americans may be sleeping on Arfield. They rarely seem to mention him, but looking at Scott's resume and where he's played, you'd think their fans and media would circle him as a potential threat. 

Listening to the total soccer show on youtube right now and to their credit they identified Arfield, but admitted they never knew he existed until they looked him up. Once they did their research, they came to the conclusion that Arfield is a player to be wary of due to his long, passing, short passing and ability to play thru balls. 

2 minutes ago, superstarss said:

Hi All!

Long time reader, first time poster. Us Wexford SC coaches have banded together and there's about 25 of us going to tonight's game (families included). Gonna be a great experience. Hoping to see Wexford alumni Mark Anthony Kaye hit the field. Go Canada!

Great to hear. 

This is the kind of positive change we need. 

JM

Ooof - I started listening to that preview/podcast...had to turn it off, after the one guy didn't know that 2 yellow cards equals a send off/red card...lol

Anyways, super pumped for the game tonight - for those lucky enough to be going - make some extra noise for all of us that don't live in TO!

44 minutes ago, damaaster said:

Ooof - I started listening to that preview/podcast...had to turn it off, after the one guy didn't know that 2 yellow cards equals a send off/red card...lol

Anyways, super pumped for the game tonight - for those lucky enough to be going - make some extra noise for all of us that don't live in TO!

Ok I know we all love to shit on anything American when it comes to do with soccer but these two guys who do the Total Show Podcast know their soccer especially when it comes to tactics and being able to analyze a game . Didn’t listen to this bc particular preview podcast yet but I’m sure if one of the two didn’t know the two yellow card rule it was said in a joking matter or maybe they were referring to how many cards accumulated in the nations league tournament before you have to sit out a game, that seems to change depending on what league or tournament you are playing in. Anyways these guys know their stuff when it comes to soccer.