Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

39 minutes ago, Califax said:

It's falls into a lazy anti american sentiment that is all too acceptable and is one of the worst qualities of us as Candians. 

I've decided to draw attention to it.

If it were any other country people would raise a fuss.

If it was any other country he probably wouldnt have said it because its not true and we dont have a natural rivalry with them?

we have a natural rivalry with the states for many reasons, one of which is its the only country we share a border with. 

we HAD a natural rivalry with the USSR in the 1970s and nobody would raise a fuss if tony esposito made the comment

If he was saying “we hate luxembourg, always have hated those guys” then ya some ppl would be questioning him. 

Also i disagree with it being one of our worst qualities. Not even top 10 IMO. 

Edited by king1010

38 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If it was any other country he probably wouldnt have said it because its not true and we dont have a natural rivalry with them?

we have a natural rivalry with the states for many reasons, one of which is its the only country we share a border with. 

we HAD a natural rivalry with the USSR in the 1970s and nobody would raise a fuss if tony esposito made the comment

If he was saying “we hate luxembourg, always have hated those guys” then ya some ppl would be questioning him. 

Also i disagree with it being one of our worst qualities. Not even top 10 IMO. 

Rivalry isn't a question. 

Hate just sounds silly and forced. 

9 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/soccer-canada-s-davies-miller-take-in-first-raptors-game~1803715 

Interview with Phonzie and Millar. Also kinda disappointing tsn didn’t even get Millar’s last name right. Also I swear Millar has some of the weirdest fashion choices.

Spelled wrong his whole life mine too lol 

being called the Canadian Steve jobs on twitter cause of the black turtleneck.. love it!!

Americans are acting like there’s no way we can beat them and that we’re on par with teams like Cuba.

Hopefully we can show them that we’re not just “two good players” (with David actually being more American and nearly playing for them).

Tuesday will either be the second best game I’ve ever been to or the most depressing. Or a boring tie. 

1 minute ago, Bdog said:

Americans are acting like there’s no way we can beat them and that we’re on par with teams like Cuba.

Hopefully we can show them that we’re not just “two good players” (with David actually being more American and nearly playing for them).

Tuesday will either be the second best game I’ve ever been to or the most depressing. Or a boring tie. 

But, with all due respect, we shouldn't beat them. Their program is still way a head of ours, our team is very young, and am I not yet convinced Herdman has the chops to guide this team to David v. Goliath-type wins.  Yes, the US is not nearly as strong as they've been in the past decade, but the Americans are right in thinking they should beat us.  Those among them who say it will be easy, or should be easy, are deluded. I don't know why those fans set themselves up for such silly nonsense. (I mean, us Vees never do that. 😉)

I am hoping for a tight, scrappy game. Yes, I want to see some moments of offensive flair, but I want to see a cohesive game from our guys, starting with our defensive play. (I am not suggesting bunkering, mind you.) I want to see a smart, hard fought game on our part. Can we nick the win? Sure, why not? But I want to see us take a real step forward in our overall development tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm with you buddy. Time to play the shame game with these so called football fans. 

As far as we shouldn't beat the US.. but they can lose to Costa Rica a rinky dink country of 6 million people. Give me a break 

So called football fans???  And you're calling Costa Rica, a rinky dink country...  

16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So called football fans???  And you're calling Costa Rica, a rinky dink country...  

That's right buddy. Get that maple leaf out... Time to show and prove. Best country in the world. The future is now 

Edited by SpursFlu

Just over 24 hours to go and I'm getting very nervous and excited for this match, it's been a while since we had one of this magnitude in Toronto, let's hope the team plays really well and we get the needed result, a win would be a great achievement and could set us on our way going forward! The Haiti match still stings with me and dampers some of my optimism, this obviously is an even bigger match on home soil!

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Look I'm doing a bit of schtik. But personally , I'm sick of the disrespect. Earning respect starts with respecting yourself. I think we're good.. period. And I'm hoping on Tuesday we prove that to everyone. I'm excited for Canada to earn some props. Peace and love to all. Let's do this

come at me bring it GIF by Game of Thrones

Call me crazy, but I think we have a better chance of snatching a win in Orlando regardless of what happens tomorrow night.  They'll be wanting to put on a show and we have some big time counterattacking studs (D&D) who can poach some goals against the run of possession.

If the result doesn't go our way tomorrow evening, I sure hope I don't read any whiny posts on here about how we're cooked.  This is two legs and anything can happen.

Edited by BearcatSA

Tactical analysis of Canada vs US. Looks like they might do what Uruguay & Mexico did recently (4-5-1). US tends to give up goals on the counter and in the last 30 mins under Beerholder. 

We have to get that balance right,” Herdman said. “We are going to need more midfielders in and around the field than out-and-out strikers. There will be a time where, if the game requires, you may have to have all of those strikers out on the field.” 

Kaye and Arfield are, by far, the two best players on the Canadian roster when it comes to progressing the ball. They are both among the elite in their respective leagues in passes into the final third per 90 minutes (P3/90).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-can-triumph-u-s-concacaf-nations-league/

Edited by red card

31 minutes ago, Ruud said:

So Canada's guy is currently heading CONCACAF and we agreed to this new HEX format?  Yeah, I think we've got this game in the bag.  Pretty sure we'd never accept if we weren't going to find our way into the HEX.

In fairness, we were 2-0 up on Haiti in a quarterfinal GC game that would have given us a bunch of points (rather than losing some) and the chance at a semi final game for even more - all with a team fully capable of advancing.  If we had just done the job at the GC, all of this agonizing over the hex qualification format would likely be unnecessary and Vic would have basically delivered the format that saw us into the hex for the first time in decades.  Not really his fault we s*** the bed.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Call me crazy, but I think we have a better chance of snatching a win in Orlando regardless of what happens tomorrow night.  They'll be wanting to put on a show and we have some big time counterattacking studs (D&D) who can poach some goals against the run of possession.

If the result doesn't go our way tomorrow evening, I sure hope I don't read any whiny posts on here about how we're cooked.  This is two legs and anything can happen.

If we split wins against the US we’re probably knocked out due to goal differential. Need 4 points, 3 wont do. 

On 10/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, BrennanFan said:

Overall, we need to play the better team game.  Press them so they can't execute their game plan, and just take it easy and wait for our chances.

While pressing teams like Mexico and the USA usually proves effective, its a very high risk game plan IMO. If we had better defenders could be depended on to put out a fire, then yeah, we'd have the offensive tools to press them, however, Vitoria is not the fastest, and Cornelius and Miller are still young and susceptible to mistakes, which they would likely make if suddenly placed under a ton of pressure due to an American counter. This is a game where I really wish we had Henry available, and for James to be in form.