Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

Matt Doyle and co. are on ETR saying that it would be unwise for Canada to press the USA. His comment was (I am paraphrasing) that Mexico pressed us and it hurt us, but Canada are not Mexico. Is he saying that Mexico press particularly well and there's no evidence our press would be as effective?

I guess you guys can decide, but either way that lot seem to think the US will play through our press with ease. I think they are overeating themselves. They also repeatedly say they expect the US to win the possession battle, or say that Canada won't have most of the ball, as if this was some forgone conclusion.

Perhaps I am being a homer, but when I look at both teams there is nothing to suggest we cannot match them in posession. Whether we do is another thing, but if they are expecting to out-posess us 70/30, on the road away from home, they are dreaming. Mckennie, Bradley, Roldan, Lleget, Yueill, Trapp...whoever they go with is not going to pass circles around Arfield, Kaye, Osorio or Piette. They may win the possession battle because of how they want to play, but I can see us winning the ball in key areas (Piette & Kaye esp) and putting them under pressure, leading to a lot of frantic moments, which should hopefully scramble their offensive patterns.

This won't be the same as parking the bus against Mexico, but their media seems to think we are going to sit back and hit them on the counter. No, I think we are going to play an open game against them and try to play them off the park. We have the players to do it, if everyone has a good game. If our lads aren't focused and dialed in, the Americans can hurt us just as easily. 

I think it's going to come down to who wants it more, especially in the midfield.

I listened to that as well, I think what they were getting at is that we don't have the defense to handle the U.S. if we press them and they break it.

23 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I listened to that as well, I think what they were getting at is that we don't have the defense to handle the U.S. if we press them and they break it.

Yeah, I believe you are correct.

Breaking the press would leave our defenders isolated against them in space. Vitoria's lack of pace could be an issue in such a situation, but Adekugbe, Miller, Layrea and Cornelius are all fast enough to deal with that, I hope.

Again, maybe I am just being a homer, but when I look at our backline options I don't see a terrible defense. Weaker than our midfield and forwards? Absolutely. Terrible? Not really.

Richie Layrea has been good at right back for TFC, Cornelius has made some mistakes for Vancouver, but he was also voted in the Group Stage Gold Cup team, plus he has never made any fatal errors for Canada. Cornelius nor Layrea belong in the "terrible" category IMO. Vitoria definitely has weaknesses, but he is also in good form, and Adekugbe is more-or-less an everyday starter in Norway who has done alright with Canada. Miller has done alright with Canada too, and was one of the better rookies in MLS. 

I bring this up as Andrew Gosse called our defense terrible at one point during that podcast, did he not?

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, I believe you are correct.

Breaking the press would leave our defenders isolated against them in space. Vitoria's lack of pace could be an issue in such a situation, but Adekugbe, Miller, Layrea and Cornelius are all fast enough to deal with that, I hope.

Again, maybe I am just being a homer, but when I look at our backline options I don't see a terrible defense. Weaker than our midfield and forwards? Absolutely. Terrible? Not really.

Richie Layrea has been good at right back for TFC, Cornelius has made some mistakes for Vancouver, but he was also voted in the Group Stage Gold Cup team, plus he has never made any fatal errors for Canada. Cornelius nor Layrea belong in the "terrible" category IMO. Vitoria definitely has weaknesses, but he is also in good form, and Adekugbe is more-or-less an everyday starter in Norway who has done alright with Canada. Miller has done alright with Canada too, and was one of the better rookies in MLS. 

I bring this up as Andrew Gosse called our defense terrible at one point during that podcast, did he not?

I would say it’s fair to say our defence is “bad” - at least relative to the US.

Cornelius - young / inexperienced and was mediocre at best this year.

Laryea - nice rookie season but hard to say he’s much better than an average MLS back at this point. 

Adekugbe - again, an average MLS talent.

Vitoria - experienced and playing at a good level.

for a national team - we don’t have much quality back there

Piette (or whoever plays in that holding midfield position) needs  to have a monster game today for victory. The US will try to isolate our defenders 1v1, like Haiti did and Piette/Kaye will need to provide cover. Fingers crossed that  we set up a solid "defensive shield" to go with our potent attack. Our best players really need to step up today..... I'm having a difficult time sitting down today :)

5 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Can anyone recommend the one soccer site's one-day pass to watch the game $6 as compared to the one-month free subscription?  Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I would assume the quality would be the same.

A 1-month free subscription right now would allow you to also watch the CPL finals.

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

I would assume the quality would be the same.

A 1-month free subscription right now would allow you to also watch the CPL finals.

Exactly this. Might as well sign up for the month for the value of getting the final CPL and other games for the month.  

Main difference is you will need to cancel so you don't pay for the following month, while the one day will be one and done, I think. 

On 10/14/2019 at 5:59 AM, Califax said:

It's falls into a lazy anti american sentiment that is all too acceptable and is one of the worst qualities of us as Candians. 

I've decided to draw attention to it.

If it were any other country people would raise a fuss.

He’s talking about a sports rivalry, not some anti American agenda. He plays in an American league ffs. I think you’re projecting far too much into that comment. 

Anyways, come on boys! Let’s crush those Yankee Doodle dandies 😊

As I see it, we have 14 guys who could be starters for us today.

Cavallini, David, Davies, Hoilett - Arfield, Osorio, Kaye, Piette - Adekugbe, Miller, Cornelius, Vitoria, Laryea - Borjan.

I'd be happy with any reasonable combination of these 14 players.  It is almost completely impossible for Herdman to get our starting 11 wrong.  And that's a very good thing.  Aside from Millar as a possible late sub, I don't think anyone else sees the pitch today. 

No more square pegs in round holes.  No more keeping our cards close to the vest.  No excuses.

I don't care what our formation is.  I don't care if we press or counter or what.  I just want to see 11 killers out there who will do whatever it takes to get the win.   

This squad needs to step up and show the world what Canadian soccer is made of. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I would say it’s fair to say our defence is “bad” - at least relative to the US.

Cornelius - young / inexperienced and was mediocre at best this year.

Laryea - nice rookie season but hard to say he’s much better than an average MLS back at this point. 

Adekugbe - again, an average MLS talent.

Vitoria - experienced and playing at a good level

for a national team - we don’t have much quality back there

I guess you meant Miller? Point taken, our backline is "bad" compared to theirs.

Let's see how their backline does tonight. Miazga is a Champo, Ream is a Champo+, and I have never been impressed by Long. Gonzalez is a rich man's Vitoria, but none of the yanks fancy him to start. Yedlin is good, but Lima/Lovitz are no better than Laryea. More experienced at full back yes, but one could argue he's been the same calibar of player as those two all season. 

56 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Piette (or whoever plays in that holding midfield position) needs  to have a monster game today for victory. The US will try to isolate our defenders 1v1, like Haiti did and Piette/Kaye will need to provide cover. Fingers crossed that  we set up a solid "defensive shield" to go with our potent attack. Our best players really need to step up today..... I'm having a difficult time sitting down today :)

Completely agree. Personally I have been completely unimpressed with Piette though the last year of Canada games and think he looks like a complete liability half the time, slow and bulldozing his way through giving away possession and silly fouls. This is the game to step up though if he is picked, I hope its Arfield and Kaye with David in front, that is almost certainly way too attacking for this game though! 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I guess you meant Miller? Point taken, our backline is "bad" compared to theirs.

Let's see how their backline does tonight. Miazga is a Champo, Ream is a Champo+, and I have never been impressed by Long. Gonzalez is a rich man's Vitoria, but none of the yanks fancy him to start. Yedlin is good, but Lima/Lovitz are no better than Laryea. More experienced at full back yes, but one could argue he's been the same calibar of player as those two all season. 

Although its not Laryea's first season in MLS, he played very few minutes for Orlando and I don't believe any at RB? He has looked good for TFC this year. Hopefully he can keep the butterflies in his stomach under control today

sooooo Canada opened at 4.33-1 odds to win, now they are down to 3.75-1 to win....

and this AM...

I just successfully closed a file that I felt was never going to end, that has been going on for 18+ months, with what I felt was a 10% chance of winning....It's a sign!!!!!

We just need that killer instinct and a few bounces to go our way! :). 

Headed home to get changed then off to Shoeless and the game!!! goosebumps already! 

Let's get that win! & 17 points! LET'S DO THIS!!!

Edited by apbsmith

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Completely agree. Personally I have been completely unimpressed with Piette though the last year of Canada games and think he looks like a complete liability half the time, slow and bulldozing his way through giving away possession and silly fouls. This is the game to step up though if he is picked, I hope its Arfield and Kaye with David in front, that is almost certainly way too attacking for this game though! 

Not to be argumentative, but in a Canada jersey, I couldn't disagree more.  I think Piette is very effective in his role.  I don't see silly fouls and conceding possession - I have seen retaining possession and breaking up attacks (often without fouls bit where they are given it has seemed like a great trade off).  I don't see him as a ball mover, so I am fine with a sideways pass after he has executed his predominantly defensive duties.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:02 PM, RS said:

I know this game isn't going to be on proper TV, but I wish the CSA would open up the east side upper deck before the west as it looks better on camera.

They did the same thing for the Jamaica friendly two years ago (opened the west upper deck, kept the east mostly closed), and even though there were legitimately 21,000 in the building it looked like much less on TV at first glance because 90% of the upper deck seats that face the TV cameras were empty. That one deck alone holds over 8000, so it makes things look much fuller overall if it has people in it.

Just realized the reason for this is that the first tier on the west side has 19 rows versus 33 on the east side. If both sides are filling up and one of the second tiers is going to be opened, it makes more sense to balance the crowd out by opening a limited amount of rows on the second tier on the west side.