Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think it’s about money, and the idea that TSN can’t make any on this broadcast.

People might write it off as grand conspiracy theory but I think there is more to it than that.  Bell is a major backer of MLS here in Canada.  Bell owns TSN.  TSN has bet its footy space on the success of MLS.  Subsidizing OneSoccer and MediaPro in any way helps strengthen what is at the moment a competitive footy property.  

There is nothing intrinsic to CPL/OS that would make TSN reluctant to support it - I just think it is a product of where they are at right now.  With that much investment in MLS, at multiple levels, it only makes sense that they would run with it in the current environment.  Unfortunately for us, CPL, OS, and those hoping for broader public exposure of CMNT games (at a time when we might actually be able to on-board some new fans), that business plan sucks. And unless and until CPL demonstrates an ability to generate sustained interest, I don’t see it changing in the near term.  

And if this account of things is in any way accurate, it would mean that the current lack of coverage is more likely driven by TSN that by MediaPro trying to hold then ransom for CMNT broadcasting rights.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

People might write it off as grand conspiracy theory but I think there is more to it than that.  Bell is a major backer of MLS here in Canada.  Bell owns TSN.  TSN has bet its footy space on the success of MLS.  Subsidizing OneSoccer and MediaPro in any way helps strengthen what is at the moment a competitive footy property.  

There is nothing intrinsic to CPL/OS that would make TSN reluctant to support it - I just think it is a product of where they are at right now.  With that much investment in MLS, at multiple levels, it only makes sense that they would run with it in the current environment.  Unfortunately for us, CPL, OS, and those hoping for broader public exposure of CMNT games (at a time when we might actually be able to on-board some new fans), that business plan sucks. And unless and until CPL demonstrates an ability to generate sustained interest, I don’t see it changing in the near term.  

And if this account of things is in any way accurate, it would mean that the current lack of coverage is more likely driven by TSN that by MediaPro trying to hold then ransom for CMNT broadcasting rights.  

But the game will feature MLS players on both sides. There is exactly one CPL player on the two teams combined, and he isn’t likely to see the field. Even if they don’t control the commentary there would still be exposure for MLS players on the broadcast, which would be good for TSN. And if your theory involves the pro CPL guys doing the commentary trying to sell the league a bit, it’s not like Luke Wileman and Steve Caldwell don’t mention the league on MLS broadcasts.

And besides, if that is your explanation for TSN’s reluctance, what about Sportsnet?

It could because TSN & SN schedules are packed with tier 1 programming on Tuesday night that they aren't much sports viewers left to capture. Otherwise, TSN would have picked it up. SN has too much money tied up in hockey to add another property.

TSN has Canadiens, Jets & Leafs hockey. They put repeats of 2 Euro qualifers in their other 2 channels as filler.

SN has Flames hockey and baseball playoffs. World Poker tour Montreal is the filler programming on SN1.

From tonight's SI article on the US win over Cuba, 

Much of what the U.S. was able to create early came from a familiar formula: relentless pressure down the right, cross into the box, watch the good things happen.

Morris was everywhere for the U.S. on the night, and he did damage on both sides of the field. But it was his early contributions on the right that set the stage for what followed. His two crosses in the first and fifth minutes that wound up at McKennie's feet were carbon copies of one another, and he issued a variation on that theme when he crossed for surging right back Reggie Cannon deep in the Cuba box, where the FC Dallas standout then turned it in for McKennie at the goal mouth to complete the hat trick.

Playing through the middle hasn't been a strong suit of the U.S. under Berhalter, and even on a night when it could do little wrong and dominated the ball to the tune of 75% possession, it remained largely a cross-and-shoot kind of night.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2019/10/12/usa-cuba-concacaf-nations-league-mckennie-morris

1 hour ago, nolando said:

From tonight's SI article on the US win over Cuba, 

Much of what the U.S. was able to create early came from a familiar formula: relentless pressure down the right, cross into the box, watch the good things happen.

Morris was everywhere for the U.S. on the night, and he did damage on both sides of the field. But it was his early contributions on the right that set the stage for what followed. His two crosses in the first and fifth minutes that wound up at McKennie's feet were carbon copies of one another, and he issued a variation on that theme when he crossed for surging right back Reggie Cannon deep in the Cuba box, where the FC Dallas standout then turned it in for McKennie at the goal mouth to complete the hat trick.

Playing through the middle hasn't been a strong suit of the U.S. under Berhalter, and even on a night when it could do little wrong and dominated the ball to the tune of 75% possession, it remained largely a cross-and-shoot kind of night.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2019/10/12/usa-cuba-concacaf-nations-league-mckennie-morris

Does Adekugbe have the pace to keep up with Morris? I haven't watched him much since his series of injuries. 

Goal difference is out the window now (assuming USA win again against Cuba, which we all would expect).  So now we need to take four points against them to win the group. 

Depending on what they do against Cuba in the return leg and what the score looks like, it looks more and more likely that we will need to win by more than one goal, and potentially more than two, or get four points. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Goal difference is out the window now (assuming USA win again against Cuba, which we all would expect).  So now we need to take four points against them to win the group. 

Depending on what they do against Cuba in the return leg and what the score looks like, it looks more and more likely that we will need to win by more than one goal, and potentially more than two, or get four points. 

I can see the US bagging Something like 4 or 5 in cuba, so even with a 2 goal win vs the states followed by a one goal loss in Orlando, we’d be eliminated. It’s 4 points or going home IMO. 

the 1-0 win away shot us in the foot in terms of goal differential. 

Edited by king1010

It's quite an interesting pattern of play the Americans put on display last night. The goal is to work the ball to a fullback high enough up the field that the opposition fullback has to decide whether to close him down or defend the wide forwards. The wide forwards will pull inside to try to force the opposition fullback outside which resulted in a series of easy 1-2s yesterday as the Cuban midfielders were not quick enough to close down the space vacated by their fullbacks. Half the goals last night came this way. American fullback draws the Cuban fullback, American fullback passes to a wide forward that has drifted inside, ball goes back to the fullback for the cross or straight to the center forward from there. There isn't a surefire way of defending this once the fullback gets up the field assuming the movement is well executed. Even if the rotation of fullback to fullback, midfielder to wide forward is quick enough the American formation is such that there are two other midfielders stacked centrally, one of whom will now be undefended or have unbalanced the defensive structure. If the latter happens I'd imagine the ball goes back to the defensive midfielder who will have options on the far side and to the center forward checking back.

Two ways to approach this attack. Best way would be to press them high up the field so that the American line of distribution (fullbacks and defensive midfielder) do not receive the ball high enough up the field to begin the set pattern. I have not watched the USA Mexico games, but this is what I imagine Mexico did judging from the media reaction. I'm not sure that we have the defensive capabilities to pull this off but it is the better of the two options. Make them play through us in a way that requires quick play and individual creativity, which is not a strong suit of their side with the exception of Pulisic and Mckennie, or long balls. Second choice is to sit deep enough that we will not be affected by set plays meant to get players in behind our back line. Don't see it winning 4 points over 180 minutes as the USA showed at the Gold Cup that they are capable of scoring on crosses in and around the box.

We are going to see if Herdman is capable of matching a well thought out tactical plan. One that I think is quite naive in defense if we are able to stop the attacking movements. 

Edited by harrycoyster

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Does Adekugbe have the pace to keep up with Morris? I haven't watched him much since his series of injuries. 

I think he for sure  has the pace. Miller is a different story however ( I think he'll start )

Edited by Colliedor

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

No surprising but cheap seats seem to be moving faster than expensive tickets. They just opened up the entire corner sections(219,220,226,227) in the upper West side for sale. 

Looks like 7 more sections of the lower bowl will be sold out in the lower bowl by end of weekend. 

Will be interesting to see how quickly the upper seats move at $30 to $65 + fees over the next 2 days leading up to game day.

edit: upper centre pitch are $65. Upper corners are $30

Edited by hamiltonfan

I thought Laryea was a lock on the right. Davies on the left.

Laryea - Vitoria - Cornelius - Davies

MAK - Piette

Arfield 

David                                    Hoilett

Cavallini

I can't see anything else at this point    

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I thought Laryea was a lock on the right. Davies on the left.

Laryea - Vitoria - Cornelius - Davies

MAK - Piette

Arfield 

David                                    Hoilett

Cavallini

I can't see anything else at this point    

Is everyone suddenly supportive of Davies at LB? I feel like those pointing out the merits of that have been taking flak for ages