Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

1 hour ago, Califax said:

I'll pick some up if you still have em. 

Need 3

Sure, sounds great.  Glad you can make it.

Just buy the extras from the site, I'll be emailing them out this weekend.

We have another player joining us for tomorrow at Rec Room.  Not sure it was announced yet.....

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Sure, sounds great.  Glad you can make it.

Just buy the extras from the site, I'll be emailing them out this weekend.

We have another player joining us for tomorrow at Rec Room.  Not sure it was announced yet.....

Love it. Done!

1 hour ago, theaub said:

As usual everyone who I'm going with had no idea this game existed before i asked them, even though they all follow PL/MLS/etc.

I do think the lack of TSN advertising has an impact.

People are often siloed nowadays but you would think that if they follow MLS, of all matches, they should have known about this one. 

MLS regular season has ended but why aren't the playoffs not starting for 2 weeks?

The bulk of both teams are MLS players. TSN broadcasts always play up players selected for national team matches. If you follow a team like TFC, wouldn't you be interested in knowing if you're favourite player has been selected for their national team?

MLS site has had a number of articles about the Cdn & US national teams. I have seen field level board ads for this match even during Impact matches. 

Edited by red card

16 minutes ago, red card said:

People are often siloed nowadays but you would think that if they follow MLS, of all matches, they should have known about this one. 

MLS regular season has ended but why aren't the playoffs not starting for 2 weeks?

The bulk of both teams are MLS players. TSN broadcasts always play up players selected for national team matches. If you follow a team like TFC, wouldn't you be interested in knowing if you're favourite player has been selected for their national team?

MLS site has had a number of articles about the Cdn & US national teams. I have seen field level board ads for this match even during Impact matches. 

I honestly don't think its that complicated.

- Everyone knows it the international break (mainly due to no PL), but there's zero correlation with the average fan between that and a Canada match going on

- For the last six matches TFC has played, two have been on a streaming service nobody has heard of, one was a 10:30 match out west and three were directly up against NFL. 

- No one is identifying with the Canadian TFC players on this roster (and considering the US has played one match in Canada since 1997 I doubt anyone is wondering where Altidore/Bradley are playing on international break).

This is all so funny because it just speaks to the Toronto stereo type of being stuck in a bubble and lacking self awareness. All the reasons given for why the game won't draw a lot are actually reason why the game won't draw a lot in Toronto not anywhere else.

I also don't recall anyone saying lots of American fans would show up in Toronto. I remember people saying lots of Americans would show up in Vancouver. Again, different places 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

This is all so funny because it just speaks to the Toronto stereo type of being stuck in a bubble and lacking self awareness. All the reasons given for why the game won't draw a lot are actually reason why the game won't draw a lot in Toronto not anywhere else.

I also don't recall anyone saying lots of American fans would show up in Toronto. I remember people saying lots of Americans would show up in Vancouver. Again, different places 

I find it tough to believe that American fans anywhere would travel midweek for a match that's a glorified friendly to them.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I have heard Vancouverites described in this way, for what it's worth.

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have heard Vancouverites described in this way, for what it's worth.

Self loathing, whiners might be a little more accurate 

Again I don't care about the crowd at this point. It gonna be great, Totonto fans who show up are great and I'm just focused on the result. Just stop projecting your reality out on to the rest of the country. It's annoying and let's just get on with it

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I also don't recall anyone saying lots of American fans would show up in Toronto. I remember people saying lots of Americans would show up in Vancouver.

Wait, is that supposed to be seen as a positive?

And yes, there were many people saying a lot of Americans would show up in Toronto.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

Wait, is that supposed to be seen as a positive?

And yes, there were many people saying a lot of Americans would show up in Toronto.

It's a positive in that it creates more of a spectacle and even with a few thousand Americans the ratio to Canadians would still be extremely favourable to us

I don't recall anyone talking about Americans showing up in Toronto but I'll take your word for it

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It's a positive in that it creates more of a spectacle and even with a few thousand Americans the ratio to Canadians would still be extremely favourable to us

I don't recall anyone talking about Americans showing up in Toronto but I'll take your word for it

In a thread discussing potential venues for these Nations League matches, there was certainly a bunch who thought the US match shoudn't held in Toronto because too many Americans would show. 

While a big match for Canada in at least a few years, too many didn't realize that for the US 1) this isn't WC qualifying 2) excitement about the USMNT has faded 3) this isn't Mexico who have good local and/or travelling support.

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Again. Maybe in Toronto not in Vancouver. Cascadia fans in the US are super thirsty to watch the national team. They've been getting hosed forever 

Again, this seems like a good justification for not putting the game in Vancouver.

15 hours ago, red card said:

Unlike some here who thought hordes of American Outlaws will show up...

That's amazing, CSA ticket revenue aside and yes I do realize it's simply a glorified friendly for them, but still under 300 away fans, that's awesome.

100 % would rather 15,000+ pro Canadian, compared with an additional 20-50% tickets sold but cheering for the away team.