Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

The impression I got from all the reports was he was a little worn out and not up for playing minnows and thumping them

If you take a step back a nd look we really had no problem moving on and some young guys got in so it was a win all around.

Arfield is back in this team in a heartbeat if it was my decision 

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I don't see anything odd about the fact that he made 45 appearances for his club over the season and was coming off an injury.

True enough - I guess I’m just stuck on the frequently noted messaging that he wasnt interested in Nations League and playing minnows.  Surprised he would then turn around and commit a month to play Martinique and Haiti (who would fall into his classification as minnows).  To be frank, if he doesn’t care about Nations League he doesn’t care about winning the Gold Cup.

To be clear, JH said Nations League doesn’t interest him and it that quote he didn’t mention minnows.

Edited by trc2014

Glad to hear Arfield was under consideration and honestly it shouldn't come as a surprise.

He never said he was done with Canada, but people are taking his situation as black and white, is he in or out? There are shades of grey in the world, you know.

Just because he was turned off by the demands of nations league or whatever doesn't mean he'll always have reservations. Situations change and people change.

Players are human. 

Looking forward to Arfield getting back into the fold later this year.

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It’s such a demographic shift from the 70s, 80s and 90s when BC and Ontario were pretty much equal when it came to supplying players to the nats, if BC wasn’t actually ahead in that regard.

Ontario has such a massive population advantage, but BC has a huge climate advantage. BC should be producing players at a far greater rate, and everyone involved in football in the province should be embarrassed by how the last 20 years have gone.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ontario has such a massive population advantage, but BC has a huge climate advantage. BC should be producing players at a far greater rate, and everyone involved in football in the province should be embarrassed by how the last 20 years have gone.

So what exactly HAS happened out here? It is true: We can pretty much play year-round in the GVRD and Victoria. And a lot of kids play footie.  But why are we not producing a higher percentage of professional-calibre players?  Or players capable of cracking the Nats?  No, we do not have the population that the GTA and environs has, and that is not a trivial factor. And yet...

3 hours ago, trc2014 said:

If no Oso is true, anyone else concerned about the midfield?  No Spoony,

Oso and potentially SE?

Not so much on the d mid side of things, but a bit of a concern for who is going to play a “10” role without Oso or Spoonie. Hoilett? David? Chapman?

Eyeballing those numbers relative to population (for the 4 most populous provinces) it looks like Quebec has about the right number relative to Alberta. BC should be roughly equal to Alberta, so underperforming a bit. Ontario on the other hand seems to be overperforming a lot.

5 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I always wonder how many players are being looked over in smaller communities. When you look at NHL players so many come from small towns… Carey Price, Shea Weber etc.. I also feel like soccer and basket ball are pretty popular in the Okanagan but soccer doesn’t really have a BCHL or WHL.

It's interesting, I tend to see it the opposite way. anything in the world is rarely distributed evenly.

iron sharpens iron and in the case of Ontario you see a lot of places where this seems to be the case.

You have a place like Brampton with just a ridiculous level of talent playing against each other. You have League 1 where alot of these guys at least played a bit. You have Sigma where these guys tested themselves against eachother and so on.

those are the types of environments that are conducive to talent development. and there happens to be alot more of them in Ontario.

45 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

So what exactly HAS happened out here? It is true: We can pretty much play year-round in the GVRD and Victoria. And a lot of kids play footie.  But why are we not producing a higher percentage of professional-calibre players?  Or players capable of cracking the Nats?  No, we do not have the population that the GTA and environs has, and that is not a trivial factor. And yet...

I think what is most telling for me is that only one born and bred BC player from the Caps academy (Baldisimo) made this list.  Any other Caps academy grads on this call up came to Vancouver from elsewhere in Canada (Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon) .  Waterman was outside of the Caps system.  

4 hours ago, trc2014 said:

To be clear, JH said Nations League doesn’t interest him and it that quote he didn’t mention minnows.

That doesn't really make sense considering Arfield played in the Nations League.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ontario has such a massive population advantage, but BC has a huge climate advantage.

The climate advantage isn't much of a factor any more with the number of indoor soccer facilities rivaling hockey arenas in Ontario these days.

3 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Paton would be a decent replacement for wotherspoon not going

I think that’s about right. Nef and others are being over the top with him IMO. Playing semi-regularly for Ross County isn’t really impressive. He’s young and that’s great but seems more of a u23 type player ... this is a shame for CONCACAF because even a player like Corbeanu or Nelson has no youth opportunities until 2024. That needs to change - we need a u21 level here. 
How would Paton fit into an MLS squad I wonder.. 

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think that’s about right. Nef and others are being over the top with him IMO.

I think you start Paton vs Martinique. Akinola too.

Piette was playing midfield in 3rd tier Spain but was solid for the #CanMNT,  so let's see how he does at this level and we will truly have a chance to evaluate him.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

14 minutes ago, RS said:

The climate advantage isn't much of a factor these days with the number of indoor soccer facilities rivaling hockey arenas in Ontario these days.

Totally agreed. I jjust find it curious that the Caps haven't been able to cultivate talent from their own backyard very well.

10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Totally agreed. I jjust find it curious that the Caps haven't been able to cultivate talent from their own backyard very well.

I'm not sure what's going on in BC, but I'm reminded of a story that @admin told me of him going to some kind of futsal/indoor soccer showcase in Ontario the 90s, seeing how much talent was on display, and concluding that Ontario would far surpass BC's output within a generation.

I may be messing that story up a bit, but I think I got the main part correct. Jamie's from Vancouver, of course.

14 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Personally, I think it’s down to the difference in the immigrant communities. Those communities in Ontario tend to play soccer (and basketball); whereas the ones in BC are not as focused on footy at least for now.  

The vast majority of the players on the national team are from recent immigrant communities.

Quebec and Alberta are somewhere in between. 

Of course, I could be wrong but I am sure I will be corrected if I am. 

Those Canadians that are 3rd or 4th generation tend to play hockey, football and baseball.  There are exceptions of course.