Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

47 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Any idea why Guadeloupe hasn’t been able to put together a similarly competitive team? They have as many Ligue 1/2 footballers, yet don’t seem to have had same success.

If either had FIFA status, they could’ve arguably called up teams as strong as Suriname and Curaçao have.

Because their team isn’t real. It’s clearly the massive difference between Suriname/Curaçao vs the others. WCQ seems like the greatest pull. Regardless of them having a low chance of making the final rounds.

They still have Gold Cup, Caribbean Cup and Nations League to play for - but it’s clearly not enough to be enticed.

Question: If a player plays for Guadeloupe, Martinique, or French Guiana does it “cap-tie” them to the territory in which they can’t play for France? Or can they still play, as it’s not a recognized FIFA member?

44 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Any idea why Guadeloupe hasn’t been able to put together a similarly competitive team? They have as many Ligue 1/2 footballers, yet don’t seem to have had same success.

If either had FIFA status, they could’ve arguably called up teams as strong as Suriname and Curaçao have.

Guadeloupe hasn't seen the success in recent years, but I do remember a 2007 Gold Cup loss against them and another scare in 2011. If Gravillon from Inter commits to the program, it could open the floodgates for more eligible players. 

4 minutes ago, frmr said:

I just thought of the worst word I possibly could. It probably doesn’t technically make sense. 

You were looking for the word “preposterous” 🤣

But I agree with you. Solidifying the depth, will be key for the Ocho. Cavs game isn’t changing so we’ll know what we’ll get in September. Locking in Flores, and Jebbison while seeing what they can do at this level would be a massive coup and beneficial vs calling up Cav.

I want to see an A- team mix. Some of our best players (Davies, David, Staq, Kennedy, and Buchanan) mixed in with some of our guys who have been playing well/or are duals (Ayo, Jebbison, Flores, Baldi, and Paton). 

But what a time to be alive when we’re debating about if we should call up Cavallini or not - I feel we’re spoiled. A feeling never felt before.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

I think the lateness is due to Akinola’s one time switch. Does Jebbison have to file ? Flores does I believe.

I don’t think neither have to file a onetime switch? They haven’t played for the senior teams, or in any official youth tournaments.

Or is that not how the rule works 
@Olympique_de_Marseille help me out.

42 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don’t think neither have to file a onetime switch? They haven’t played for the senior teams, or in any official youth tournaments.

Or is that not how the rule works 
@Olympique_de_Marseille help me out.

Akinola definitely does. He has played many competitive matches at youth level.

Even if he has decided to switch, it may not go through in time for the Gold Cup.

---

Jebbison may not have to file a one time switch as he has played no official matches at youth level for England. He can likely be brought in faster than Akinola.

I don't think Flores has actually played a competitive youth match for Mexico. So his situation is identical to Jebbison's.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Bringing in Cav at the expense of being able to cap tie Flores or Jebbison is straight up blasphemy. Especially Flores. He will 100% be on Mexico’s senior radar now that we’ve called him to the squad and everyone down there is pissed at how the Mexican federation has handled it. I don’t think some people on this board realize how much potential he has, and if they did there is no way in hell anyone would be saying they’d prefer to bring Cav to the Gold Cup than cap tying a player who could be Davies/David level. 

I hope Flores pans out to be a great player (well, if he plays for us) but the guy is tied with 30 other players in 90th place in the goal scoring rankings in an U18 league. I'm oversimplifying because I've never seen him play, but that doesn't exactly scream "can't miss prospect". He has 0 professional minutes. I'll be happy if he is included, but I'll also be just fine if we call someone more established than him too. I remember times when we just had to cap tie Keven Aleman, Marco Bustos, Fraser Aird, and Ballou Tabla. Tabla last played for us in March 2019, and the other 3 haven't played for us since 2017. Those 4 players have combined for 20 caps, including 2 Gold Cup games, and 2 Nations League qualifiers, the other 16 caps all in friendlies. Not exactly pivotal players for us thus far.

Here is my list from around ten days ago.

Keeper - Crepeau, Pantemis, St. Clair

Defenders - Gutierrez, Miller, Sturing, Johnston, Henry, Kennedy, Brault Guillard

Midfielders - Flores, Wotherspoon, Kaye, Osorio, H. Paton, Laryea, Davies, Piette

Forwards - Akinola, Cavallini, Buchanon, Akindele, Pasher

Possible changes:

If Jebbison is willing to cap, then he should be included. I must concede that other posters are correct. I am sure that there will be a few guys that Herdman cannot get; otherwise, maybe Akindele gives way on my list even though he is playing well at the moment.

Possible first caps from this list include Akinola, Pasher, Gutierrez, Flores, H. Paton, and, if included, Jebbison. That in itself would be quite a success within such a relatively strong roster.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I hope Flores pans out to be a great player (well, if he plays for us) but the guy is tied with 30 other players in 90th place in the goal scoring rankings in an U18 league. I'm oversimplifying because I've never seen him play, but that doesn't exactly scream "can't miss prospect". He has 0 professional minutes. I'll be happy if he is included, but I'll also be just fine if we call someone more established than him too. I remember times when we just had to cap tie Keven Aleman, Marco Bustos, Fraser Aird, and Ballou Tabla. Tabla last played for us in March 2019, and the other 3 haven't played for us since 2017. Those 4 players have combined for 20 caps, including 2 Gold Cup games, and 2 Nations League qualifiers, the other 16 caps all in friendlies. Not exactly pivotal players for us thus far.

I get that, if it eases your he’s doing well with Arsenal, I believe he is with them for the pre-season and he will be with the U-23’s this year.

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Defenders - Gutierrez, Miller, Sturing, Johnston, Henry, Kennedy, Brault Guillard

Sturing in my opinion is not good enough for the big games.

I think the coaching staff likes him, but he didn't get into the Suriname game or either Haiti game, which is telling.

I would rather Vitoria, but if he can't go for whatever reason, I would take Cornelius or Waterman. 

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sturing in my opinion is not good enough for the big games.

I think the coaching staff likes him, but he didn't get into the Suriname game or either Haiti game, which is telling.

I would rather Vitoria, but if he can't go for whatever reason, I would take Cornelius or Waterman. 

Agree, Sturing has to be playing minutes at a higher level before he is called back.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

It's not always as simple as where they're playing now though. Flores is a very very highly rated prospect; I think people who follow youth teams in England would say his ceiling is thought to be much higher than someone like Corbeanu. He's one of Mexico's top prospects in Europe, and remember, he's only 17. You don't have to be a goalscorer to be a great attacking midfielder. Flores' strength is progressing the ball upfield by himself.

IMO, Tabla is the only guy on that list who was thought to have a similar ceiling. You still need to prioritize anyone with that potetnial.

Edited by PiedPilko

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not sure whats more impressive at this point... CMNT qualifying for a World Cup or Canadian soccer not waiting until the last possible moment to release a roster

I get that it’s annoying but what motivation do they have to release the roster early?  Seems to be JH’s MO at this point; give opponents as little competitive edge as possible no matter how insignificant (in this case an extra few days with Canada’s roster). Aside from the 100 or so of us who care the average fan is not even thinking about it.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

He was in The Guardian’s top 60 prospects born in 2003. He is 1000% a “can’t miss” prospect and is not in the same league as those who you listed. Mexico fans and Arsenal fans alike consider him the future of their teams and he is referred to as a wonderkid by English media. I’ll double down on my statement that I don’t think some people on this board recognize how big his potential is. If we manage to cap tie him it would probably the biggest coup in CSA history, considering how highly Mexico fans rate him. I just pray that Herdman has him buying in to his vision.