Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

20 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I get that it’s annoying but what motivation do they have to release the roster early?  Seems to be JH’s MO at this point; give opponents as little competitive edge as possible no matter how insignificant (in this case an extra few days with Canada’s roster). Aside from the 100 or so of us who care the average fan is not even thinking about it.

Its just a joke. You wouldn't know it from how much time I spend on this forum but I am a grown man with a life. So yah I kinda don't care when they release their roster

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, frmr said:

He was in The Guardian’s top 60 prospects born in 2003. He is 1000% a “can’t miss” prospect and is not in the same league as those who you listed. Mexico fans and Arsenal fans alike consider him the future of their teams and he is referred to as a wonderkid by English media. I’ll double down on my statement that I don’t think some people on this board recognize how big his potential is. If we manage to cap tie him it would probably the biggest coup in CSA history, considering how highly Mexico fans rate him. I just pray that Herdman has him buying in to his vision. 

Not saying you are wrong, because I really hope you arent, but if Flores is the future of Arsenal, why isn't he cracking the first team?

Edited by Obinna

As much as Arsenal might not be a literal top 6 side anymore they still have an excellent academy which means there’s a lot of backlog of top prospects getting into professional football. For example Florian Balogun (2001 born) played with the U23s this season (although he did feature in cup competitions) when he probably could’ve play first team football with a majority of premier league sides. 

Flores will likely go down a similar path. Who knows though, maybe he really impresses during first team training and gets some FA Cup/League Cup games next year.

Edited by Atlantic

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not saying you are wrong, because I really hope you arent, but if Flores is the future of Arsenal, why isn't he cracking the first team?

Well he was training with the first team at the end of last season and has been promoted to the U23's for next season so he is progressing very quickly. One thing that he has working against him is that he's very small, probably only about 5'5" or something, so that's going to be tough for him in the Premier League. I wouldn't be surprised if he's knocking on the door of the first team within a year or two which would put him on a similar timeline as Corbeanu. I think it's a different situation with Jebbison at Sheffield United since they were essentially a Championship team last season. I could also be wrong about all of this, but I've done a bit of a deep dive on Flores the past couple weeks, watching all of his highlight videos and Mexican media stuff with him and his dad on auto-translate and I just think his potential is crazy. There was one video where his dad talks at length about the Canada call up and I tried to glean what I could from it but auto-translate isn't great. If anyone speaks Spanish and would shed some light, that would be good. I know he speaks highly about Herdman's proposal.

7 minutes ago, frmr said:

Well he was training with the first team at the end of last season and has been promoted to the U23's for next season so he is progressing very quickly. One thing that he has working against him is that he's very small, probably only about 5'5" or something, so that's going to be tough for him in the Premier League. 

5’5 ?! I don’t think that’s right. He doesn’t look anywhere near that short in clips.

Well he can't be much taller than that because this is him next to Mertesacker who is listed at 6'5" and he looks nearly a foot shorter. Maybe not 5'5" but he is definitely small.

edit: I'm seeing now that Mertesacker is listed 6'6" and even 6'7" in some places so Flores is probably ballpark 5'7" or so.

16025487473374.jpg

Edited by frmr

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Wel that’s the crux of the matter. Should we be cynically capping a 17 year old who has yet to play pro football? He wouldn’t be on the team on merit.

if the opportunity comes, during, IMO, a meaningless tournament? (relative to what is to come September)... fuck yes

5 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

It's not always as simple as where they're playing now though. Flores is a very very highly rated prospect; I think people who follow youth teams in England would say his ceiling is thought to be much higher than someone like Corbeanu. He's one of Mexico's top prospects in Europe, and remember, he's only 17. You don't have to be a goalscorer to be a great attacking midfielder. Flores' strength is progressing the ball upfield by himself.

IMO, Tabla is the only guy on that list who was thought to have a similar ceiling. You still need to prioritize anyone with that potetnial.

correction, he is one of Canada's top prospects in Europe. As far as I know he is a product of Canadian and English football, not Mexico's

24 minutes ago, frmr said:

Well he can't be much taller than that because this is him next to Mertesacker who is listed at 6'5" and he looks nearly a foot shorter. Maybe not 5'5" but he is definitely small.

edit: I'm seeing now that Mertesacker is listed 6'6" and even 6'7" in some places so Flores is probably ballpark 5'7" or so.

16025487473374.jpg

Transfermarkt has him as 6'0.

10 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Transfermarkt has him as 6'0.

I saw that, no chance though. I looked at a few other Arsenal signing photos in front of that crest looked up the players' heights, and 6'0" would put him somewhere around the middle of "Arsenal". I think around 5'7" is a safe estimate.

Edited by frmr

8 hours ago, frmr said:

Well he was training with the first team at the end of last season and has been promoted to the U23's for next season so he is progressing very quickly. One thing that he has working against him is that he's very small, probably only about 5'5" or something, so that's going to be tough for him in the Premier League. I wouldn't be surprised if he's knocking on the door of the first team within a year or two which would put him on a similar timeline as Corbeanu. I think it's a different situation with Jebbison at Sheffield United since they were essentially a Championship team last season. I could also be wrong about all of this, but I've done a bit of a deep dive on Flores the past couple weeks, watching all of his highlight videos and Mexican media stuff with him and his dad on auto-translate and I just think his potential is crazy. There was one video where his dad talks at length about the Canada call up and I tried to glean what I could from it but auto-translate isn't great. If anyone speaks Spanish and would shed some light, that would be good. I know he speaks highly about Herdman's proposal.

So nobody can translate this?

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Because he's 17-years old?

Harvey Elliott is the same birth year and already has Liverpool EPL first team appearances and a full season of Championship football at Blackburn under his belt. Maybe Flores is just slightly behind and will make a first team appearance sometime this upcoming season.

New release from the Arsenal website where Flores states:  "The first proper year was really difficult for me because I was still a Canadian kid and I had to get used to all the English boys and their banter."

Marcelo the Canadian Kid, committing to CanMNT confirmed. /s

https://www.arsenal.com/news/young-gun-marcelo-flores

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

New release from the Arsenal website where Flores states:  "The first proper year was really difficult for me because I was still a Canadian kid and I had to get used to all the English boys and their banter."

I'm no lawyer but I believe this is contractually binding.

21 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I like that he played at "the Guelph" as a youth

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/soccer/canada-men-s-soccer-jonathan-david-concacaf-gold-cup-1.6083813

Is this confirming David will be on the Gold Cup squad? Would be strange for an experienced reporter like Molinaro to put effort into a piece that is redundant if he's not named.

Seeing how he has been spotted at a couple of parks around Ottawa doing individual training, he’s likely headed to the Gold Cup.

In other news, read from Jon Arnold that El Salvador is doing prep work for the Gold Cup by playing friendlies in Croatia.  Very odd if true.

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Seeing how he has been spotted at a couple of parks around Ottawa doing individual training, he’s likely headed to the Gold Cup.

In other news, read from Jon Arnold that El Salvador is doing prep work for the Gold Cup by playing friendlies in Croatia.  Very odd if true.

Imagine taking your dog for a walk and seeing Jonathon David working out on his own at the local park.