Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Do we really need to have 3 keepers in training? Seems like a luxury, not a necessity.

It’s required to have 3 keepers on each roster.

When they turn up, is not specifically stated. And on that point I would list Pantemis, and tell him to stay with Montreal. 

The reality is Maxime will be the number 1, and based on apps St. Clair will be number 2, and Pantemis is the number 3. Knowing that and barring any injuries, it’s highly unlikely James will play. So why would we waste his playing time opportunities with Diop being out. 

19 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

When does the roster have to be released ?

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I believe on Thursday

10 days prior to the start of the competition means the CSA (and all other FAs) have to submit them by Wednesday.

As to when the CSA or CONCACAF will actually release a roster, that's another story.

---

There are MLS matches between July 1st and July 9th. I'm not sure how many of our guys will play in those. I think the release period starts 10 days before the tournament as well ( so Wednesday ).

I'd be happy if guys like Osorio and Piette and Johnston were rested. Other guys like Pantemis or Fraser should remain with their clubs if it means minutes.

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

because the Martinique match is our "Aruba/Cayman Islands" type match of this tournament. The weakest opponent. The best opportunity to test a young keeper in a competitive setting.

I know you aren't saying Martinique are as weak as Aruba/Cayman Islands, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Martinique are stronger than we have been giving them credit for. There has been a tendency on this board to consider Martinique a minnow due to us beating them 4-0, rather than give us credit for having a good game (or perhaps they also had a bad game). In the last Gold Cup in their other two games they beat Cuba, and they gave Mexico a game (lost 3-2). In Nations League qualifying they went 4-0-0 like us to qualify for League A, then they stayed up in League A by finishing 2nd place in their group like us (below Honduras, above T&T). They are a solid team and we shouldn't take them lightly just because we beat them big 2 years ago. I would say they are similar quality to Bermuda or Haiti who could also be in our group.

Of note is that Jordy Delem (Seattle Sounders) is out for Martinique but they are very much a French version of Curaçao or Suriname... although they don’t have the same pull given their non-FIFA status. 

They have two strikers who played in Ligue 2 this past season and one in Serie A. So definitely not to be taken lightly.

We also have a .500 record against Martinique if you count our PK win as a draw. The only win was in 2019. I know our squad is different now but we have to respect the history and the fact this their World Cup. That’s big.

18 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

This is off topic, but how exactly do the 60 man preliminary squads on that official concacaf pdf? There are so many incorrect team attributions on Martinique's page. Who lets that get through?

Even Canada's list had 5 or 6 errors 

59 minutes ago, Kent said:

There has been a tendency on this board to consider Martinique a minnow due to us beating them 4-0, rather than give us credit...

Martinique are good.  I remember the 2013 Gold Cup when we lost to them. I just think we need to start some of our "-A minus / B+" squad guys against them. We need these guys who might not be in our ideal starting XI to have played matches and get tested by a team like this, because once we get into WCQ we have 3-match windows and we will need to rotate our squad.

The Octagonal means injured guys, out of form guys, tired guys and yellow & red cards. We need more depth.

We can't rely on David and Davies every match and this whole team needs to know it.

28 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

This is off topic, but how exactly do the 60 man preliminary squads on that official concacaf pdf? There are so many incorrect team attributions on Martinique's page. Who lets that get through?

Only the biographical details matter. Age and full name as written on the player's passport.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Of note is that Jordy Delem (Seattle Sounders) is out for Martinique but they are very much a French version of Curaçao or Suriname... although they don’t have the same pull given their non-FIFA status…

The difference between the countries is their independence. But someone correct my understanding…

By not being a FIFA member, that means they don’t get any money directly from FIFA! But are given money through Concacaf. They are also funded by the FFF. They “exist” in Concacaf solely by way of the Caribbean football union. Am I right?

I’ve always wondered why this is a thing (non-FIFA member), Ive never understood the benefit for Concacaf, if they are a essentially a UEFA nation. 

It’s weird how they still adopt FIFA rules for players. My thinking is if they aren’t a real team, and no points are gained, or lost - as it’s essentially an unofficial game (as seen by FIFA), then why can’t they call up any duels in this way.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Martinique are good.  I remember the 2013 Gold Cup when we lost to them. I just think we need to start some of our "-A minus / B+" squad guys against them. We need these guys who might not be in our ideal starting XI to have played matches and get tested by a team like this, because once we get into WCQ we have 3-match windows and we will need to rotate our squad.

The Octagonal means injured guys, out of form guys, tired guys and yellow & red cards. We need more depth.

We can't rely on David and Davies every match and this whole team needs to know it.

Only the biographical details matter. Age and full name as written on the player's passport.

Some of them are outright lies though. There's this one guy (Lory Balustre) who plays for Amiens AC in the French 5th tier, but they list him with Amiens SC in Ligue 2. Shouldn't someone be checking these? I get that it's concacaf but like... that's real amateurish

Edited by PiedPilko

Fearless Prediction ( not even fearless). 

Cav will 100% be named to the GC squad. Need him to keep rolling for us going into WCQ. He won't be getting dropped to cap-tie a young fwd by any means, and he should not be. He's also ahead of them as of right now on the depth chart.

It's win now time everyone :).

2 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Cav will 100% be named to the GC squad. Need him to keep rolling for us going into WCQ. He won't be getting dropped to cap-tie a young fwd by any means, and he should not be. He's also ahead of them as of right now on the depth chart.

I am predicting no Jebbison or Flores. Those are just hopeful inclusions.

But Akinola will be on the team.

59 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Cavallini will be at the GC that's a given

58 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Also as a Caps fan, agreed. Guti is class and will be a great piece for the MNT at LB.

Baldi also deserves to be there, his passing range is amazing.

Not necessarily a caps fan, but agree with you and @SpursFlu here. Guti has to be called into Gold Cup. He's going to thrive around better players, you can just tell. Same with Baldisimo.  

Unfortunately for Baldisimo I think it may come down to him or Harry Paton. I don't know if we can swing both, even though both are very deserving.

I would be a little more disappointed if Baldisimo missed out, I think.

Harry Paton is in his off season and who knows, maybe he sneaks into the WCQ squad when the European leagues resume. I feel that Baldisimo may be able to help us more now, as he is playing matches regularly. He may also be slightly more integrated, considering he played with the U23's and Paton didn't. 

So I am leaning towards Baldisimo if I had to choose.

Edited by Obinna

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Any idea why Guadeloupe hasn’t been able to put together a similarly competitive team? They have as many Ligue 1/2 footballers, yet don’t seem to have had same success.

If either had FIFA status, they could’ve arguably called up teams as strong as Suriname and Curaçao have.

Bringing in Cav at the expense of being able to cap tie Flores or Jebbison is straight up blasphemy. Especially Flores. He will 100% be on Mexico’s senior radar now that we’ve called him to the squad and everyone down there is pissed at how the Mexican federation has handled it. I don’t think some people on this board realize how much potential he has, and if they did there is no way in hell anyone would be saying they’d prefer to bring Cav to the Gold Cup than cap tying a player who could be Davies/David level. 

1 minute ago, frmr said:

Bringing in Cav at the expense of being able to cap tie Flores or Jebbison is straight up blasphemy. Especially Flores. He will 100% be on Mexico’s senior radar now that we’ve called him to the squad and everyone down there is pissed at how the Mexican federation has handled it. I don’t think some people on this board realize how much potential he has, and if they did there is no way in hell anyone would be saying they’d prefer to bring Cav to the Gold Cup than cap tying a player who could be Davies/David level. 

So wait…why is it blasphemy then?

I completely agree, but I’m confused at that right.