Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

Ontario has such a massive population advantage, but BC has a huge climate advantage. BC should be producing players at a far greater rate, and everyone involved in football in the province should be embarrassed by how the last 20 years have gone.

My belief is that things ebb and flow over time.

Back when I was playing youth soccer at National All Star competitions, there were nearly as many players from BC getting invited to the youth national team camps afterwards as there were from Ontario. Quebec on the other hand were not sending as many as BC, even though that province was nearly double the population, and their teams were very, very good.

We (Newfoundland) always seemed to be drawn against teams from BC and Quebec, so having played against both I can say both were always strong with players deserving of national team invites.

There were always players at those tournaments who were deserving of a look but didn't get one, sometimes even from Manitoba or Nova Scotia, but can't choose everybody.

This is why you here stories of so and so not making the national team and defecting to another country. In some cases it's players not even making provincial teams. That's for another conversation though.

My point is that we perhaps shouldn't draw much these things, claiming the BCSA is not doing a good job or whatever. They are doing just fine, and with BC League 1 coming they'll be additional pathways for players, which is a great thing.

Who makes the national team and from where will always be dominated by the big four provinces, but the weighting will fluctuate with each generation for no particular good reason.

57 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not sure what's going on in BC, but I'm reminded of a story that @admin told me of him going to some kind of futsal/indoor soccer showcase in Ontario the 90s, seeing how much talent was on display, and concluding that Ontario would far surpass BC's output within a generation.

I may be messing that story up a bit, but I think I got the main part correct. Jamie's from Vancouver, of course.

Jaime posted that on this forum.  I remember that thread.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think you start Paton vs Martinique. Akinola too.

Piette was playing midfield in 3rd tier Spain but was solid for the #CanMNT,  so let's see how he does at this level and we will truly have a chance to evaluate him.

Are there going to be 5 subs in the gold cup? Makes it a lot easier to give everyone a run out...cough... cap...cough

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Early chatter is that Jamaica’s squad will be seriously weakened and without some of their big dual nats like Antonio, Gray, Morrison etc 

Ravel Morrison seems like he'll be there as he's in Jamaica right now. But is he a "big dual nat"? The guy probably wouldn't even start on Suriname these days.

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ravel Morrison seems like he'll be there as he's in Jamaica right now. But is he a "big dual nat"? The guy probably wouldn't even start on Suriname these days.

I root for the (though really not much of one anymore) kid, once a Hammer, always a Hammer, but last time he appeared in more than ten games in a season was 17/18 in League MX.  He is the least of my Jamaican worries.  (Now watch him repeat his goal against Spurs against us in the Gold Cup Final) 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I root for the (though really not much of one anymore) kid, once a Hammer, always a Hammer, but last time he appeared in more than ten games in a season was 17/18 in League MX.  He is the least of my Jamaican worries.  (Now watch him repeat his goal against Spurs against us in the Gold Cup Final) 

Yes, I saw a fair bit of him at QPR, so much potential but mostly flattered to deceive!