Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 minute ago, TGAA_Star said:

Strong team for Gold Cup

Yup, roughly equal to their WCQ squad. They are in a group with Jamaica, Costa Rica and probably Guatemala, and we play the runner up or winner if we advance. All four teams would be a good test and any could advance, with Jamaica and Costa Rica probably the favoruites.

Woukd not surprise me though if Suriname came out of the group.

Just now, Obinna said:

Klaiber from Ajax is the big addition.  Pinas the most notible omission.

Klaiber and Haps, on paper, might the the best back combo at the Gold Cup.

I think chery is the biggest omission for them. They are already weak on the attack. Think they’re going to have a real challenge scoring on decent teams.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Klaiber and Haps, on paper, might the the best back combo at the Gold Cup.

I think chery is the biggest omission for them. They are already weak on the attack. Think they’re going to have a real challenge scoring on decent teams.

Good eye. Felt like someone else bigger was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Yes, that's a bigger loss than Pinas, though with the guy from Slovan Bratislava out as well, the CB spot next to Donk looks like a big void.

Could Suriname be seen as dark horses in this tournament? I have them as a surprise dark horse this go around in the Gold Cup

I mean Canada with the array of talent we have...golden generation practically full of talent we should at least be a favorite or one of the favorites but then again we haven't won a Gold Cup since 2000. 21 years of not winning a Gold Cup but with the team we have now, minimum we should be semi finals minimum. But for some reason we just fold under the pressure.

The favorite prohibitively to win it all is Mexico. Coming into any Gold Cup, they will always be the favorites coming in.

United States are yet another favorite to win it all. Hell their talent probably rivals ours and is practically close to Mexico. 

47 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Could Suriname be seen as dark horses in this tournament? I have them as a surprise dark horse this go around in the Gold Cup

I mean Canada with the array of talent we have...golden generation practically full of talent we should at least be a favorite or one of the favorites but then again we haven't won a Gold Cup since 2000. 21 years of not winning a Gold Cup but with the team we have now, minimum we should be semi finals minimum. But for some reason we just fold under the pressure.

The favorite prohibitively to win it all is Mexico. Coming into any Gold Cup, they will always be the favorites coming in.

United States are yet another favorite to win it all. Hell their talent probably rivals ours and is practically close to Mexico. 

I was more comfortable giving Suriname the darkhorse label before realizing Chery was out. Without him pulling the strings I am less confident they can get out of the group. 

I am curious to see how they match up with the other teams. I think Jamaica will likely run them over by multiple goals like we did, but Costa Rica and Guatemala may have trouble. Neither team has a Leon Bailey or Alphonso Davies that can take over a game with individual brillance, nor do they play with the type of physicality that would disturb Suriname. At times it seemed they struggled with our athleticism and that won't get easier against Jamaica. I really don't think they match up well against them, but against those two central american teams I expect it will be a contest of who can play who off the park with clever football.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yup, roughly equal to their WCQ squad. They are in a group with Jamaica, Costa Rica and probably Guatemala, and we play the runner up or winner if we advance. All four teams would be a good test and any could advance, with Jamaica and Costa Rica probably the favoruites.

Woukd not surprise me though if Suriname came out of the group.

Group C is definitely the group of death. Going to be fun watching this one.

Nice to see Suriname was able to call a strong squad to the Gold Cup. Hopefully they stay/become competitive in the region. I think it will likely be too tough for them to advance from the group ahead of one of Jamaica or Costa Rica, but it will be interesting to see if they can put up a good fight.

55 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Discovering the warm water. Navas is not very enthusiastic about going to the Gold Cup: He always gets injured, gets sick or whatever. https://us.marca.com/claro/futbol/copa-oro/2021/06/26/60d6ad7e22601d5c688b459a.html

Navas probably focusing on not just his club situation but probably more focused on Octagonal qualifying saving himself for that

2 hours ago, narduch said:

With Diop's injury I expect Pantemis to be out of the Gold Cup.

I wonder who will be the 3rd keeper 

But then should we bring over Leutwiler, who is trying to secure the #1 shirt at Oldham?

Do we bring in Hasal, who might actually get playing time with the Whitecaps with Crépeau gone?

Do we simply bring in Pantemis late? Tell Montreal they can keep him for July 3rd and July 7th. He arrives in time for our first match, but, having missed some training sessions, the starting spot goes to St. Clair against Martinique? This would be the best option I believe.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

But then should we bring over Leutwiler, who is trying to secure the #1 shirt at Oldham?

Do we bring in Hasal, who might actually get playing time with the Whitecaps with Crépeau gone?

Do we simply bring in Pantemis late? Tell Montreal they can keep him for July 3rd and July 7th. He arrives in time for our first match, but, having missed some training sessions, the starting spot goes to St. Clair against Martinique? This would be the best option I believe.

Why St. Clair against Martinique? I’m expecting Crepeau to be our starting keeper.

Ideally Leutwiler comes as 3rd keeper. If not, then Pantemis has to come simple as that. It was short sighted to name 5 keepers with two at the same club. I’m sure Breza can handle a few starts at MLS level.

6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I wonder if for the keeper position you would be allowed to go off the board and select someone not on the 60-man.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why St. Clair against Martinique? I’m expecting Crepeau to be our starting keeper.

Ideally Leutwiler comes as 3rd keeper. If not, then Pantemis has to come simple as that. It was short sighted to name 5 keepers with two at the same club. I’m sure Breza can handle a few starts at MLS level.

because the Martinique match is our "Aruba/Cayman Islands" type match of this tournament. The weakest opponent. The best opportunity to test a young keeper in a competitive setting.

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if for the keeper position you would be allowed to go off the board and select someone not on the 60-man.

I think it's set in stone.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Unless you go Leutwiler or Desjardins; either way Canada's youth at least at the GK position I love it

Which is why Desjardins is not an option!

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

because the Martinique match is our "Aruba/Cayman Islands" type match of this tournament. The weakest opponent. The best opportunity to test a young keeper in a competitive setting.

I think it's set in stone.

Which is why Desjardins is not an option!

I think I'm leaning to your suggestion to call in Pantemis but let him play on July 3 and 7 for Montreal. Montreal plays Cincinnati on July 17. That would be a good match for Breza if Diop isn't back by then.