The Road to Qatar.

Binky

58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Here we go again...

The longer this ineptitude continues, the better everyone's chances are, because a motivated and full strength Jamaica can beat any team in the octagon. 

On the other hand, it is just sad for the region to see this happen time and again. I wonder what separates the Jamaica FA from Suriname and Curacao? Those two nations seem to be fully committed to improving the squad, but thanks to the JFA Jamaica seemed destined to have an asterisk next to their name. 

Is it corruption with these people or what? Maybe @Shway can shed some light?

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is it corruption with these people or what? Maybe @Shway can shed some light?

It's a bit of it all tbh. I've talked to Simon many times, and he has a lot of close contacts to the JFF - primarily the players.

But he's stated that there's just a lack of professionalism, budgets being skimmed, agreements being broken,  poor organization, etc. etc. One of the players reportedly slept at an airport for hours due to his VISA not being sorted out for example.

The president has stated that Jamaica WILL qualify for the World Cup, and based on their never ending heavy recruiting list of duals - I think they will IF they can get their shit together.... but you see how that's going. Long reggae boyz fans will say "Same ole JFF".

You are right, it begs the question what is Suriname or Curacao doing different? Seems a bit on both sides that the players aren't asking for much, and the federations are accommodating to the players. Because we haven't heard any issues it seems with those nations.

10 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I enjoy the fact that a lot of Anglo media call it "the ocho" and Spanish speaking media are calling it "el octagonal"

Probably as it doesn't sound good.  In English, calling something "the eight" wouldn't have a nice ring to it so I doubt it does in Spanish either.  I like "el octagonal"

On 6/20/2021 at 10:21 PM, Gian-Luca said:

We seem to be causing controversy among other pundits in the region.

I don't speak Spanish but as best as I can tell these Spanish-speaking pundits (I'm assuming Mexican) about 10 minutes into this video claim that Canada is a threat but mostly because Victor Montagliani is the Concacaf President. The guy who mentions this also points out that in addition to Davies, we also have Kaye, Osorio and Cavallini although the mention of the latter's name almost sends the outspoken one, Jorge Ramos, into disdainful convulsions. I generally get the impression that Ramos thinks that not only is Canada complete shit but so is everyone else in the region in comparison to Mexico & the US, although again, it has to be stressed that I am gleaning more than I am translating.

Jorge Ramos is a Uruguayan journalist based in the US. He is the type of person who is believed to have got hold of God by the beard. He is an arrogant man who thinks that because he comes from a country with a long football tradition, he always makes him right. About Canada, two journalists including the girl, said that Canada had good options for the quality of its players to reach third place in the octagonal.
The argument that Jorge Ramos gave for not believing in the canucks, is that Canada has not yet faced a rival of sufficient caliber to show that it will reach third place. 

Edited by xabuep2

11 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I've said this before but the most fair way to do the Intercontinental playoff is to have all 4 teams play a neutral site round robin.  It will be in June so there is time for 3 matches.  Far more fair than a random draw.

This is a great idea.

I'd suggest to deliver this  proposal to the Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions. Seriously. 

1. This is the most fair way for all 4 teams.

2. It could be a test run for facilities and organizing in Qatar. Especially the AC system in stadiums.

3. With the uncertainty of the pandemic,  a round robin tournament is best way of minimizing logistics and quarantine.

4. Part of commercial income from the tournament could be donated for medical supplies to help some third world countries. 

5. If FIFA has the same idea for 2026 qualifier playoffs, why not 2022?

Edited by lamptern

6 hours ago, lamptern said:

This is a great idea.

I'd suggest to deliver this  proposal to the Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions. Seriously. 

2. It could be a test run for facilities and organizing in Qatar. Especially the AC system in stadiums.

3. With the uncertainty of the pandemic,  a round robin tournament is best way of minimizing logistics and quarantine.

4. Part of commercial income from the tournament could be donated for medical supplies to help some third world countries. 

I like this idea of a repechage. 

FIFA is always looking for more ways to generate interest in World Cup (mostly for money purposes).

Playoffs of some kind always gets interest. Put that in for World Cup spots and you have a money maker

And I agree it's a fair way to dish out some WC spots

8 hours ago, lamptern said:

This is a great idea.

I won't be surprised if it happens just due to the politics.  AFC, Oceania, and CONCACAF will all bicker around the table about what matchups are fair.  The neutral site round robin is the natural compromise.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

8 hours ago, lamptern said:

This is a great idea.

Great ideas I must say @lamptern

Not sure where to post this but I'm reading Jamaica's next big target is Mason Greenwood.  Taking advantage of Greenwood omission from Euro and given the depth of young attacking players England have.  Greenwood is still so young with a lot of potential so I cannot imagine Greenwood jumping over to Jamaica anytime soon or at all.  But that would be a monumental recruit for Jamaica if they could pull it off in the next couple of years.

Jamaica urging Mason Greenwood to switch nationalities from England (fotmob.com)

Edited by Corazon

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Not sure where to post this but I'm reading Jamaica's next big target is Mason Greenwood.  Taking advantage of Greenwood omission from Euro and given the depth of young attacking players England have.  Greenwood is still so young with a lot of potential so I cannot imagine Greenwood jumping over to Jamaica anytime soon.  But that would be a monumental recruit for Jamaica if they could pull it off in the next couple of years.

If Greenwood jumped from England to Jamaica, it would be huge for Jamaica well not just him but other players too like Antonio switching to Jamaica as well, it would actually make Jamaica look dangerous as a CONCACAF nation.

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Not sure where to post this but I'm reading Jamaica's next big target is Mason Greenwood.  Taking advantage of Greenwood omission from Euro and given the depth of young attacking players England have.  Greenwood is still so young with a lot of potential so I cannot imagine Greenwood jumping over to Jamaica anytime soon.  But that would be a monumental recruit for Jamaica if they could pull it off in the next couple of years.

That's rich. He already debuted for England as an 18 year old.. he'll be cap tied by the end of the year.

26 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Simon Preston's latest youtube video debunks this. He mentioned the source had no quotes and it all looked copied and pasted from last year when the same rumour was floating around.

19 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That's rich. He already debuted for England as an 18 year old.. he'll be cap tied by the end of the year.

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Simon Preston's latest youtube video debunks this. He mentioned the source had no quotes and it all looked copied and pasted from last year when the same rumour was floating around.

Jamaica urging Mason Greenwood to switch nationalities from England (fotmob.com)

FYI -  I do not see it happening by the way.  I was just sharing what I came across earlier today on FotMob which was taken directly from The Telegraph.

Edited by Corazon

On 6/22/2021 at 2:44 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I won't be surprised if it happens just due to the politics.  AFC, Oceania, and CONCACAF will all bicker around the table about what matchups are fair.  The neutral site round robin is the natural compromise.

Speaking of neutral sites. I see that UEFA just did this for the first time in an early qualifying round for Champions League. Held last week. They sent the reps from Faroe, San Marino, Andorra and Kosovo and had them to a final four in Pristina. Semis, and a final (which the locals won over the Andorran rep--I follow Andorran teams as they are local for me). Now this could be to save money on travel, and teams had to agree to forgoe the gates (which might be limited with COVID this anyways). 

I don't think it is a bad idea and agree it might be much fairer to do a mini-tournament at a neutral site.

• 3 weeks later...

El Salvador will play Costa Rica in a friendly in L.A. on Saturday August 21st as both teams prepare for the Octagonal.

https://amp.elsalvador.com/amp/deportes/860168/selecta-amistoso-agosto-previa-octogonal-hugo-carrillo-fesfut-lmf.html

https://www.laprensagrafica.com/amp/deportes/El-Salvador-y-Costa-Rica-jugarian-amistoso-en-agosto-20210719-0056.html

Obviously outside of FIFA dates.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

El Salvador will play Costa Rica in a friendly in L.A. on Saturday August 21st as both teams prepare for the Octagonal.

https://amp.elsalvador.com/amp/deportes/860168/selecta-amistoso-agosto-previa-octogonal-hugo-carrillo-fesfut-lmf.html

https://www.laprensagrafica.com/amp/deportes/El-Salvador-y-Costa-Rica-jugarian-amistoso-en-agosto-20210719-0056.html

Obviously outside of FIFA dates.

I am assuming they are both taking C- teams to eliminate the risk of injury.  

Sorry…

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am assuming they are both taking C- teams to eliminate the risk of injury.  

Sorry…

Like I said the best way to deal with not getting injured is to not play at all lol, but then who knows you can get injured away from the soccer field as well. Life is about talking chances no? Therefore, in order to be best prepared for a upcoming set of games is to try to prepare the best way you can and that usually means playing some games , yes there is risk of injuries as we have seen in this Gold Cup but those risks are chances you need to take in order to be best prepared. The soft minnows are gone no more Aruba’s or Cayman Islands where you can practically play them without any preparation and still clobber them. They will be playing with the big boys now and the more practise and games the better even if you risk injuries it’s the chance you need to take to be fully prepared. I just hope the guys that didn’t play in the Gold Cup not named Davies and David will be ready for the Oct.

• Admin locked this topic