The Road to Qatar.

Binky

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I think the real challenge will be not so much who starts but who gets left off the 23 man squad for WCQ, assuming all are available.  The performances at this GC is going to make that a very difficult decision for JH and his staff......but that's what you want.

We need to be calling 30 player camps for these windows

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Rollins tweeting the matches will be at BMO Field.

The CSA are working on getting the exemption to make this work

Not a surprise, given the Whitecaps still aren't playing in British Columbia.

31 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I dont think theres going to be a 23 man squad limit. Teams are literally playing 3 matches over 7 days sandwhiched in between club comittments

My understanding is that 24-hours before kickoff you have to name your final 23 roster for that game.

11 Yanks and Tactical manager were speculating the USA will bring 28 or 30 men for the September window. Perhaps we will do similar. 

Edited by Obinna

On 7/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, BigMo said:

BMO may have a higher attendance cap by September, based on Doug Ford's comments this afternoon. Said the Province is close to moving to step 4, and that details of next step of re-opening will be released soon.

Either way I can't help but love this

On the basis of what I have seen in the Gold Cup, I think we need to do the following in Qualifying:

1. Play the same sort of high pressure and high tempo carefree attitude that we have seen all Gold Cup.  It comes with risk but over 14 matches, I don’t think most of Concacaf can keep up with us.  If it means we lose at match or two because of or get a draw where we should have won, we need not panic as over 14 matches I am pretty confident we come out top 3 (or 4 at least).  I just don’t think the Concacaf teams can keep up.  It’s not a knock out tourney so we need not panic even if we lose at home our our opening match to Honduras or draw even if its against the run of play for them.

2. To do this, we need a heavy squad rotation so to a large extent, the best 11 debate is mute.  Herdman needs to look at every 3 or 2 match window and see who is available for us and then set up different sides for the different teams we face that maximises as much as possible our advantages and minimises our weaknesses given the required rest/rotation needed.  As such don’t be surprised to see Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Buchanan not even starting many matches.  The great thing the Gold Cup showed us is that we have a lot of depth to be able to do this.

3. Sub early and often to make sure players are rested and rotated.  If we are up 2 goals against Honduras for example, rest some of your key players even if this means a slight worry of letting them back in the game.  If we are down against the Us, do the same. The great thing is that we have the players to rotate so that we can keep up the tempo and quality throughout the match.

4. If we are able to do this, I think its realistic for us to take 3 to 4 points off of the US and Mexico over the 4 matches.  That’s saying a lot but a win and draw is realistic or even 3 draws.  That’s only 4 points out of 12 but would probably be better than anyone else or at least match them.

5. I don’t think we need to fear playing in Cost Rica, Honduras or El Salvador anymore. I think the Gold Cup belief will have done that for the boys. I think we can press and attack them like we did both the US and Mexico in front of their home crowds.  Yes, those places are more raucous but their sides aren’t as good either.

If we do the above, I give us more than a 50% chance of qualifying.  By No means a slam dunk but very doable.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

On the basis of what I have seen in the Gold Cup, I think we need to do the following in Qualifying:

1. Play the same sort of high pressure and high tempo carefree attitude that we have seen all Gold Cup.  It comes with risk but over 14 matches, I don’t think most of Concacaf can keep up with us.  If it means we lose at match or two because of or get a draw where we should have won, we need not panic as over 14 matches I am pretty confident we come out top 3 (or 4 at least).  I just don’t think the Concacaf teams can keep up.  It’s not a knock out tourney so we need not panic even if we lose at home our our opening match to Honduras or draw even if its against the run of play for them.

2. To do this, we need a heavy squad rotation so to a large extent, the best 11 debate is mute.  Herdman needs to look at every 3 or 2 match window and see who is available for us and then set up different sides for the different teams we face that maximises as much as possible our advantages and minimises our weaknesses given the required rest/rotation needed.  As such don’t be surprised to see Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Buchanan not even starting many matches.  The great thing the Gold Cup showed us is that we have a lot of depth to be able to do this.

3. Sub early and often to make sure players are rested and rotated.  If we are up 2 goals against Honduras for example, rest some of your key players even if this means a slight worry of letting them back in the game.  If we are down against the Us, do the same. The great thing is that we have the players to rotate so that we can keep up the tempo and quality throughout the match.

4. If we are able to do this, I think its realistic for us to take 3 to 4 points off of the US and Mexico over the 4 matches.  That’s saying a lot but a win and draw is realistic or even 3 draws.  That’s only 4 points out of 12 but would probably be better than anyone else or at least match them.

5. I don’t think we need to fear playing in Cost Rica, Honduras or El Salvador anymore. I think the Gold Cup belief will have done that for the boys. I think we can press and attack them like we did both the US and Mexico in front of their home crowds.  Yes, those places are more raucous but their sides aren’t as good either.

If we do the above, I give us more than a 50% chance of qualifying.  By No means a slam dunk but very doable.

There will be rotation, but we’re not sitting Davies, David, and to a lesser extent Eustaquio, even with the depth of talent we have right now.

Those guys will play, or start, I should say all 3 games. I would assume that with the depth we have it will be easy for Herdman to use the 5 subs if/when we get a lead.  Hopefully we will only need to play Alphonso, David and Stache for 60 or so in each game keeping them in the starting rotation for the next game.  Our depth is something to be very happy with.  Pretty soon we will have an A team of players in European first division including many in the top 5, but also have a strong B team made up of MLS and CPL players.  Times they are a changin’.

12 hours ago, DavemTFC said:

We are, on form and talent, firmly the third best team in the region right now.

That can easily change once the qualifiers start of course, but I can't think of any argument for another concacaf team not name Mexico/USA looking better than us the past few months

I dont think there's any question at the moment, based on form Canada is in the top three in the region...the key as we all know is grinding out results on the road, specifically in Central America..which is probably the one thing this group hasn't done as of yet.....

They were eliminated by us so it isn't too shocking, but it looks like Suriname has fired Dean Gorre as their coach and fans are livid. He was instrumental in getting guys to commit and buy in to the Surinamese program and the fans talk like this is the death knell for the program and all the work to get to this point will be undone.

We'll wait and see what happens. This sucks I was excited to see another team rise through the ranks in CONCACAF.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

They were eliminated by us so it isn't too shocking, but it looks like Suriname has fired Dean Gorre as their coach and fans are livid. He was instrumental in getting guys to commit and buy in to the Surinamese program and the fans talk like this is the death knell for the program and all the work to get to this point will be undone.

We'll wait and see what happens. This sucks I was excited to see another team rise through the ranks in CONCACAF.

He's apparently been working away for years with the government to get their dual citizenship laws changed. I think his tactics have been a little questionable, tbf, throwing RB's into the midfield and all. Kind of shocking how ill-prepared they were for Davies.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

I won’t be surprised if they bring in a local yes man coach and play only local players and say we are building a better national team. Suriname will create a local league owned by the federation and they will showcase local players and sell them. This is crazy CONCACAF!

If that happens( I bet it will), CONCACAF needs to put a stop to these shenanigans. They need to clean up the Caribbean federations. It’s a huge waste. 

• Admin locked this topic