The Road to Qatar.

Binky

Just looking at the balance of when our home and away matches fall, the likelihood of finishing in the top 4 would seem to be greater if we're in an excellent position by the end of the first 3 windows (November 2021).

We're very home-heavy at the start. A majority of those home matches are against countries we need to get results from.

- 5 of our 7 home matches are between September and November
- 4 of those 5 home matches are against Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, and Costa Rica (Mexico being the 5th)

Once we hit 2022, of the final 6 matches we play between January and March, 4 are away, all in Central America (Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Panama). I really hope we slay some Central American away demons and get a few positive results, but we could really help our cause if we've stocked up a good pile of points by the end of November.

Edited by jtpc

1 hour ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

honestly, i think we need at least 6 wins at home. ambitious i know, but trying to rely on road wins in concacaf is a tough go.

Yeah I think it's possible but it'll definitely be tough. I was being a bit conservative but I'd take 5 wins and a tie which is still tough but in the realm of possibility and would still put us in a good position.

14 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Just looking at the balance of when our home and away matches fall, the likelihood of finishing in the top 4 would seem to be greater if we're in an excellent position by the end of the first 3 windows (November 2021).

We're very home-heavy at the start. A majority of those home matches are against countries we need to get results from.

- 4 of those 5 home matches are against Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, and Costa Rica (Mexico being the 5th)

Once we hit 2022, of the final 6 matches we play between January and March, 4 are away, all in Central America (Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Panama). I really hope we slay some Central American away demons and get a few positive results, but we could really help our cause if we've stocked up a good pile of points by the end of November.

good point. if we can come away with 14-15 points by the end of the november window we'll be in great shape, but minimun 12-13 points for sure, any less than that and we're f*cked.

Here’s my question. Do you leave out your stars from Azteca in order to improve your chances of a result in Jamaica?

I feel like we said the same thing last time about importance of getting off to a fast start!  Need at least 6 in September games.  It is the set up with least travel so most comfortable for the players to perform well. Home-US-Home is the easiest schedule of the bunch

51 minutes ago, jtpc said:

I think the first window is critical.  Absolutely winnable games at home against Honduras and El Salvador.  Anything less than six points there will be disastrous.  That will set the tone for the remaining games.

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

Goal difference may matter.

You don't want to get smashed in Mexico.

Agreed but recovery from altitude to Take points from Jamaica may trump the GD issue.  Need to look at when stars skip games for “injury” then come back for next game 

How do y'all feel about the 3-5-2 vs 4-3-3?  I've been pushing to see it for 2 years now, and now that I have, i'm not that convinced anymore.  I thought it'd bring out the best of Davies and Laryea, but it didn't.  Perhaps too much weight on their shoulders?

Kinda hope we go back to the 4-3-3 for the ocho.  Aside from the CB's, I don't feel we ever really looked settled or comfortable in the 3-5-2 even vs he weaker teams.

Strategy in the ocho will be intense!  Do we rest our best 11 vs Mexico and the USA to target the "easier" points vs the lesser teams or do we really test ourselves and go for broke?

I really hope we get to see Hutch - Eustaquio - Arfield at least once.

As much as I love Borjan and his obvious passion, his blazé style in important matches really stresses me out, same goes for Henry and his need to accumulate cards.

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

How do y'all feel about the 3-5-2 vs 4-3-3?  I've been pushing to see it for 2 years now, and now that I have, i'm not that convinced anymore.  I thought it'd bring out the best of Davies and Laryea, but it didn't.  Perhaps too much weight on their shoulders?

Kinda hope we go back to the 4-3-3 for the ocho.  Aside from the CB's, I don't feel we ever really looked settled or comfortable in the 3-5-2 even vs he weaker teams.

Strategy in the ocho will be intense!  Do we rest our best 11 vs Mexico and the USA to target the "easier" points vs the lesser teams or do we really test ourselves and go for broke?

I really hope we get to see Hutch - Eustaquio - Arfield at least once.

As much as I love Borjan and his obvious passion, his blazé style in important matches really stresses me out, same goes for Henry and his need to accumulate cards.

Say what you will about Milan’s ball handling, his shot stopping is EXCELLENT, and when we play against better teams, his skill set will be much more evident!

Edited by Addona

28 minutes ago, costarg said:

I would prefer to go back to a 4-3-3.  We will be on the back foot a lot more these games and I'd like to have a solid defensive line.  That and a midfield three of Hutchinson, Kaye and Eustaquio would be both offensively and defensively responsible.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I would prefer to go back to a 4-3-3.  We will be on the back foot a lot more these games and I'd like to have a solid defensive line.  That and a midfield three of Hutchinson, Kaye and Eustaquio would be both offensively and defensively responsible.

I think the primary strength of the 3-5-2 is that we don’t have to dither about Davies at LB or LW.  With the shared defensive/offensive responsibility of the outside spot in the middle 5, he can maraud up and down the left side doing what is needed (and in my lineup, one on Tajon/Laryea/ZBG doing the same thing on the right).  We didn’t necessarily make the most of the system the last 2 games but I think the turn in Haiti killed that chance to shine so it is really only one game that it was used to full effect.  And even then it was clear that they were regularly double teaming Davies to shut him down.  The big criticism from me was that he didn’t seek out the pass to the open man often enough when he was double-teamed.  But that is just a particular criticism of his game last night, not a knock on the system.  

17 minutes ago, Addona said:

Say what you will about Milan’s ball handling, his shot stopping is EXCELLENT, and when we play against better teams, his skill set will be much more evident!

Borjan gives me a heart palpitation just about every time he touches the ball. In the Ocho he needs to be told that there is no room for errors and unless you are wide open, hammer the ball upfield. Doneil needs to be told, no idiotic yellows in the opposition’s half, and Phonzie needs to be told to beat one man and look for a teammate in a better position.  

13 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Borjan gives me a heart palpitation just about every time he touches the ball. In the Ocho he needs to be told that there is no room for errors and unless you are wide open, hammer the ball upfield. Doneil needs to be told, no idiotic yellows in the opposition’s half, and Phonzie needs to be told to beat one man and look for a teammate in a better position.  

Honestly, with those three mantras, we would be a much stronger team.  

1 hour ago, costarg said:

It's not hard to imagine he'll pull one of those stunts in at least one of the games or more that results in a goal given it has happened multiple times to date and that he's good for one panicked moment per game. Let's just pray it's in a blowout. It's not even his ball-handling it's his decision making and lack of understanding of urgency in a situation. 

Edited by grigorio

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think the primary strength of the 3-5-2 is that we don’t have to dither about Davies at LB or LW.  With the shared defensive/offensive responsibility of the outside spot in the middle 5, he can maraud up and down the left side doing what is needed (and in my lineup, one on Tajon/Laryea/ZBG doing the same thing on the right).  We didn’t necessarily make the most of the system the last 2 games but I think the turn in Haiti killed that chance to shine so it is really only one game that it was used to full effect.  And even then it was clear that they were regularly double teaming Davies to shut him down.  The big criticism from me was that he didn’t seek out the pass to the open man often enough when he was double-teamed.  But that is just a particular criticism of his game last night, not a knock on the system.  

Yeah, maybe I should've mentioned that I always want Davies further up the pitch.  He'd be in the front three for me.  Gutierrez or Adekugbe behind him.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think the Phonzie question still depends on the opponent.  Against Mexico we'll be on the back foot so much that it becomes a back 5.  I like 3-5-2 against the middle tier teams but not against the best.

40 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I think the Phonzie question still depends on the opponent.  Against Mexico we'll be on the back foot so much that it becomes a back 5.  I like 3-5-2 against the middle tier teams but not against the best.

I guess I see it as being flexible that way.  With really mobile outside mids, it can shift between a 3-5-2 and essentially a 5-3-2 when defending.   That relies on guys that are really fit and really fast and fortunately we have lots of them.  

Not saying it is the final system we should use but I definitely see the advantages of it given the personnel we have at our disposal.  

2 hours ago, jtpc said:

I wonder how soon we'll get the intercontinental playoff draw. If CONCACAF is drawn with Oceania or AFC, the race for 4th will be so exciting.

Yeah because if Canada gets 4th and CONCACAF is drawn with CONMEBOL with a South American team, we almost have no chance at qualifying

However if Canada does end up 4th and we get the IC playoff spot and we get drawn with an Asian team or an Oceania team like New Zealand, then I like Canada's chances even better to qualify.

Their journey is over due their disastrous draw with the Bahamas, but I came across this article talking about Trinidad and Tobago's further internal woes and it is as ridiculous as you could come up with.

Apparently there's a young striker named Gary Griffith III who is nowhere near good enough to play for T&T and has a sketchy resume but has regularly gotten inclusions under Terry Fenwick and it's come out that the kid's dad is the chief of police of the island  and basically has been undermining the team for a while and is tight with Fenwick. 

When Fenwick dropped Griffith III before the Bahamas game he blamed the asst coaches (Including former HFX coach Derek King) and they both were harassed by the Chief of Police. The man has also regularly harassed the journalist who is covering this, Lisana Liburd.

I highly recommend reading both parts this is a worthwhile read:

https://www.socawarriors.net/federation-news/23810-the-truth-about-griffith-pt-1-how-fenwick-stage-managed-griffith-iii-s-career-while-seeking-ttps-benefits.html

https://www.socawarriors.net/federation-news/23811-the-truth-about-griffith-pt-2-how-cop-disrupted-soca-warriors-and-weaponised-ttps-platform.html

We seem to be causing controversy among other pundits in the region.

I don't speak Spanish but as best as I can tell these Spanish-speaking pundits (I'm assuming Mexican) about 10 minutes into this video claim that Canada is a threat but mostly because Victor Montagliani is the Concacaf President. The guy who mentions this also points out that in addition to Davies, we also have Kaye, Osorio and Cavallini although the mention of the latter's name almost sends the outspoken one, Jorge Ramos, into disdainful convulsions. I generally get the impression that Ramos thinks that not only is Canada complete shit but so is everyone else in the region in comparison to Mexico & the US, although again, it has to be stressed that I am gleaning more than I am translating.

• Admin locked this topic