The Road to Qatar.

Binky

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

There's a certain type of person that I just don't like. I see no reason why I should hide my contempt for those who will wilfully put others at risk by sharing their idiotic world view in public forums. In other aspects of my life, I use discretion and diplomacy when communicating with others, even when I disagree with them. However, not everyone is worthy of that treatment.

Yea I’m definitely not solely referring to covid related stuff as I could give two shits. It’s other menial debates that I’ve seen you’ve drop different names to stress your point. 

All I’m saying is, it’s easy to be a tough guy/keyboard warrior behind the computer (especially when your oceans away) and will likely never be at any matches to meet any fellow Voyageurs. 

Being cynical/el hombre funny and being blatantly offensive is the thin line that shouldn’t be crossed.

Saying an opinion is idiotic, is different from calling someone an idiot.

But hey that’s just my opinion…

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea I’m definitely not solely referring to covid related stuff as I could give two shits. It’s other menial debates that I’ve seen you’ve drop different names to stress your point. 

All I’m saying is, it’s easy to be a tough guy/keyboard warrior behind the computer (especially when your oceans away) and will likely never be at any matches to meet any fellow Voyageurs. 

Being cynical/el hombre funny and being blatantly offensive is the thin line that shouldn’t be crossed.

"El Hombre Funny"

Heavy on the air quotes with that one. 😎

5 hours ago, Shway said:

I don't do anything to mask my real-life identity on this forum. There are people on here who can almost certainly identify me if they read all of my posts going back, particularly if they were regulars at Swangard for Whitecaps and Canada matches between 1990 and 2005. I also, Covid travel restrictions aside, return to Vancouver every year, or so, to visit family. If there's a game on when I'm back, I usually go with friends. I'm definitely not hiding from anything I have to say here nor from anyone who might be offended by my comments. In fact, if any Vs travel to Melbourne for the WWC in 2 years, I'm more than happy to sit down for a beer or a meal with just about anyone who travels, including you. 

36 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

As much as I hate to continue this off subject discussion I would like to know if the anti vacc. people believe what their Dr. tells them (besides covid related) when they go for a visit or God forbid a emergency ward?

I suspect people who are anti vaccine across the board are hesitent about the whole pharmacutical industry and medical establisment in general. 

However, it strange that anyone who questions this specific vaccine or the lockdowns or disagrees on any point for this subject, even slightly, is labelled an anti vaxxer, as if they aren't worth talking to because they don't trust science or medicine.

Yes I get such people exist, but you can't treat every person with a disagreement on this subject as an "anti vaxxer" just so that you can shut down debate. 

Even in this thread, canadasoccerfan shared a differing opinion and was basically criticized for having an anti-vaxx world view (doesn't trust science, medicine, etc.), even though he is vaccinated from covid. 

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but for me calling someone who is vaccinated an anti-vaxxer is just as dumb as being an anti-vaxxer and blindly not trusting any vaccine or any medicine.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, assuming (maybe naively) that we have everyone at our disposal from our player pool, and assuming that the 3-5-2 continues to be our preferred formation going forward, would this be our ideal starting 11 in the Ocho?

50C80F3B-5D06-4045-A7FE-873AAC396B14.jpeg

Larin for Hoilett, Kennedy for Adekugbe, Johnston for Kennedy...

Crepeau for Borjan I am on the fence about, but I can be talked into it at this point. I just feel so much more confident when the ball is at his feet.

------------David----Larin-----------

----------------Arfield----------------

Davies--Hutchinson--Eustaquio--Buchanan

------Kennedy-Vitoria-Johnston------------

---------------Borjan (not sure on this one)

Also....Miller is doing very well. Kennedy was excellent in June, but his performances make you wonder...

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Crepeau for Borjan I am on the fence about, but I can be talked into it at this point. I just feel so much more confident when the ball is at his feet.

Also....Miller is doing very well. Kennedy was excellent in June, but his performances make you wonder...

Can’t argue with this. My only reservation is that Kaye and Osorio have built some serious chemistry with Eustaquio.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I somehow forgot about Larin (too impressed with Hoilett tonight I guess)  - agree with you on that one. The defensive line up I am less sure about. It seems like there are a few combos that could work in that back 3. 

22 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Can’t argue with this. My only reservation is that Kaye and Osorio have built some serious chemistry with Eustaquio.

Trust me, I was tempted to put them in for that very reason.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I somehow forgot about Larin (too impressed with Hoilett tonight I guess)  - agree with you on that one. The defensive line up I am less sure about. It seems like there are a few combos that could work in that back 3. 

Agreed on Hoilett. He was fantastic, so it's hard to leave him out. I see him as a quality veteran hand we can call from the bench. I also thought Larin and David played well together in qualifying. 

As for the back 3, it's good we are building up those combos. In Kennedy and Miller, we have two options I feel very confident in. Cornelius would be 3rd in the chart and he's not a bad 3rd option by any means. I also feel confident with either Vitoria or Henry in the center, though all signs point to Vitoria being preferred, which I am alright with. On the right I think it's Johnston's spot to lose, but I would feel better if we had a second option there. I don't think Henry is it, generally speaking, but he could do the job if needed and depending on the opponent (thinking Jamaica specifically). James could hopefully emerge and provide competition here with a good start in Denmark, and who knows maybe even Singh sneaks onto an Ocho roster or two.

Honestly, the RCB spot is the last sector of the field we feel shallow in. 

Good time to be a Canada fan. I am really feeling confident about our team!

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, assuming (maybe naively) that we have everyone at our disposal from our player pool, and assuming that the 3-5-2 continues to be our preferred formation going forward, would this be our ideal starting 11 in the Ocho?

f*ck me we've got a loaded roster.

i might do something like put hoilett where arfield is, and larin up front, but can't go wrong with what you've put together there.

looking at davies and buchanan on the wings makes me giddy. the US clearly set up their defense to shut down buchanan last week. now it's pick your poison time.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

8 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

With Vitoria out against Mexico, we’ll get a good idea of where Henry stands.  

Not on his feet.

I think he has the most pressure out of everyone. He’s longest served in that backline, but is slowly looking surplus or deep depth. It’s a great testament to the growth of our squad.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Not on his feet.

I think he has the most pressure out of everyone. He’s longest served in that backline, but is slowly looking surplus or deep depth. It’s a great testament to the growth of our squad.

He still makes the most basic decision / defensive errors.  In the first minute he came on he goes for an interception/tackle up the pitch that he’ll never get causing a 2-on-1 out wide behind him that leads to a chance, and then 20 seconds later gives away a free kick on the edge of the box - I don’t think he can be trusted on the outside of a back 3 and fortunately  he’ll slot in the centre on Thursday.

17 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

He still makes the most basic decision / defensive errors.  In the first minute he came on he goes for an interception/tackle up the pitch that he’ll never get causing a 2-on-1 out wide behind him that leads to a chance, and then 20 seconds later gives away a free kick on the edge of the box - I don’t think he can be trusted on the outside of a back 3 and fortunately  he’ll slot in the centre on Thursday.

Couldn't agree more on the bolded part.

The flipside is that he's looked very good in the center of the back 3. It sort of protects him from himself. 

He stays on his feet way more in the middle and so far he has won all of his tackles from that position, as least as far as I can recall. 

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

LB is very different to LCB.  I don't feel Adekugbe has the necessary skillset to slot in as LCB.  Especially when its Kennedy and Millers natural position.  If anything Adekugbe can be depth at LWB, after Laryea.

Just came back to edit, I just remembered we also have Guti, from what I've seen of him, pretty sure he can play WB as well, I'd also rate him above Adekugbe at the moment.

Edited by costarg

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

LB is very different to LCB.  I don't feel Adekugbe has the necessary skillset to slot in as LCB.  Especially when its Kennedy and Millers natural position.  If anything Adekugbe can be depth at LWB, after Laryea.

Just came back to edit, I just remembered we also have Guti, from what I've seen of him, pretty sure he can play WB as well, I'd also rate him above Adekugbe at the moment.

I haven’t seen enough of Adekugbe to be totally confident in my take, but doesn’t he have a reputation of being very good defensively? I thought I remembered reading he was not beaten by a dribbler all season in Norway or something like that. I think he’d probably slot in at LCB just fine. Not that I’m necessarily advocating that he start there, because I really like Kennedy there too.

6 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I haven’t seen enough of Adekugbe to be totally confident in my take, but doesn’t he have a reputation of being very good defensively? I thought I remembered reading he was not beaten by a dribbler all season in Norway or something like that. I think he’d probably slot in at LCB just fine. Not that I’m necessarily advocating that he start there, because I really like Kennedy there too.

Kind of inbetween the both of you here when it comes to Adekugbe. I see him being less capable than Miller, but more capable than Gutierrez. He also played there in one of our WCQ games, I believe against Cayman. 

• Admin locked this topic