Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really wish he would get moved more centrally.  I still maintain that he doesn’t have the pace or trickery required to be an outside player in an attacking role.  

For some reason when watching Iwobi today I thought of Rutty. I haven’t watched him a lot, but Iwobi never looked that great to me as a winger. He never looked particularly fast or skilled at taking players on, but his move to everton’s central midfield has highlighted his intelligence and he appears a different player.
Perhaps Rutty would offer much more centrally as he can better combine with other players in a position that suits his intelligence and other strengths?

Edited by maccaliam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really wish he would get moved more centrally.  I still maintain that he doesn’t have the pace or trickery required to be an outside player in an attacking role.  

I agree with you. I also don't know how fast he actually is, because I've never seen him actually try to sprint. He always looks like he's jogging at a moderate pace.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, narduch said:

Well hopefully they don't Okello him

Okello was given enough chances to shine and never took the opportunities given to him when given playing time . Unfortunately and I have to keep repeating myself every time on this , the kid is just not good enough that can be a possibility no? Who was the Canadian keeper who everyone were up in arms on when Bono basically was chosen over him I forget his name , anyways this Canadian keeper went to Forge in the CPL in the inaugural CPL season and guess what and went from starting for Forge to sitting on the bench and then being released . I think he plays in League 1 Ontario last I heard . Like I said sometimes it’s as simple as not being good enough it’s life . Hopefully Okello proves TFC wrong goes somewhere and excels but in the end if he doesn’t it’s also ok not every player is going to turn out .

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Okello was given enough chances to shine and never took the opportunities given to him when given playing time . Unfortunately and I have to keep repeating myself every time on this , the kid is just not good enough that can be a possibility no? Who was the Canadian keeper who everyone were up in arms on when Bono basically was chosen over him I forget his name , anyways this Canadian keeper went to Forge in the CPL in the inaugural CPL season and guess what and went from starting for Forge to sitting on the bench and then being released . I think he plays in League 1 Ontario last I heard . Like I said sometimes it’s as simple as not being good enough it’s life . Hopefully Okello proves TFC wrong goes somewhere and excels but in the end if he doesn’t it’s also ok not every player is going to turn out .

I don’t disagree that Okello has underwhelmed during his chances (and he has been given chances) but I think the statement was made in reference to TFC refusing to sell him to Wolfsburg when he was younger which may have been a better developmental environment.   Thus the comment in relation to a possible transfer for JMR declined by TFC.  

It's still early in January, lots of time left inthe transfer window. This could just be TFC trying to squeeze a little extra money. Given Bob Bradley was vague in whether JMR was going to return, I feel like it might simply be a case of them trying to make the team make a second higher offer, or are shopping him around for a higher offer/start a bidding war 

Edited by rydermike

10 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I'm tired of this lame ass old excuse.

How many times does it have to happen before the focus gets turned on the people running the club?

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t disagree that Okello has underwhelmed during his chances (and he has been given chances) but I think the statement was made in reference to TFC refusing to sell him to Wolfsburg when he was younger which may have been a better developmental environment.   Thus the comment in relation to a possible transfer for JMR declined by TFC.  

Yes... it would be a hell of a business plan for a club to always sell their more promising looking players just because people on the internet believe it may provide a "better developmental environment"... 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I'm tired of this lame ass old excuse.

How many times does it have to happen before the focus gets turned on the people running the club?

Lame excuse ? Like i said not every player pans out , and the nice thing about having the CPL now is that these so called good players that were not given a proper chance with say TFC can go show people how wrong TFC were right? However, what happens when they can’t even cut it in the CPL ? You still blame TFC ? You know what I’m tired of ? Every time  a Canadian TFC prospect that doesn’t make it to the first team it’s always TFC’s fault never the fact that the player was just not good enough as a possibility. If Okello is the next big thing go to the CPL actually go start on Forge and light it up !

7 minutes ago, frmr said:

Get him the fuck out of there. TFC is probably the worst possible place for a young Canadian to be. I want to see the club succeed, but I don't want any young Canadian players anywhere near that club.

Tell that to Osorio and Laryea!

23 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Its hard for a kid to perform once a coach makes it obvious he doesn’t trust him or prefers others. Confidence is the most crucial ingredient to a young player thriving,  athletic ability is useless without it.  This is where TFC and their coaches “win right now for my careers sake” mentality has failed. They are not leaders, they don’t breed confidence. Too many players have been ruined this way.  They need to follow Sir Ferguson’s example. 

Moreover, if anyone has the time see on average how many academy players end up making the first team of their parent clubs . You will find that it’s a very low number , moreover, a very low number of pro academy players even go on to play top level soccer . So yes we need to be blaming every pro academy in the world for failing their players right ?

20 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Moreover, if anyone has the time see on average how many academy players end up making the first team of their parent clubs . You will find that it’s a very low number , moreover, a very low number of pro academy players even go on to play top level soccer . So yes we need to be blaming every pro academy in the world for failing their players right ?

True. The real problem is that we only have 3 strong pro teams in Canada. It is not enough. And it is not going to change at all. The only way to make it change a bit is for there to be reciprocity for Canadians on US teams in MLS. Though that does not address youth and academy players, who have exceptional status.

You can't expect three strong pro teams to develop the talented youth of an entire nation, it's a deficit the CPL does not really cover, and that there is no easy solution for.

57 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Yes... it would be a hell of a business plan for a club to always sell their more promising looking players just because people on the internet believe it may provide a "better developmental environment"... 

So you think keeping Okello and turning him into a CPL-calibre player was the best move for the club?

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Considering TFC's track record can you blame people for thinking that?

Okello's story is not one that validates the team.  If its the player, and he wasnt any good, why did they turn down the transfer for him???  If anyone should be an expert on the kid, its TFC eh? Should know your own players better than someone elses scouts.  Its BS, obviously they thought he was good and didnt have the plan for all the kids coming through.  At the time if Bradley/Oso/Delgado were locked in and there is no room, sell him, recoup your investment.  They do a good job at the academy and have plenty of GTA talent available to them, but they need to be realistic with the kids when they are 18. You cant hang on to them until their shelf life is expired then dump them on CPL to refurbish.  If they dont think Rutty lives up to the hype or they dont have plans to give him 1000+min this year, move him on.  

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Okello's story is not one that validates the team.  If its the player, and he wasnt any good, why did they turn down the transfer for him???  If anyone should be an expert on the kid, its TFC eh? Should know your own players better than someone elses scouts.  Its BS, obviously they thought he was good and didnt have the plan for all the kids coming through.  At the time if Bradley/Oso/Delgado were locked in and there is no room, sell him, recoup your investment.  They do a good job at the academy and have plenty of GTA talent available to them, but they need to be realistic with the kids when they are 18. You cant hang on to them until their shelf life is expired then dump them on CPL to refurbish.  If they dont think Rutty lives up to the hype or they dont have plans to give him 1000+min this year, move him on.  

I agree, but I do imagine them wanting to mold Okello into something he wasn't. He's a 6'5 midfielder with very good feet and offensive capabilities, so I can totally see why they didn't sell him as a youth player. They clearly must have thought they could develop and sell him later, otherwise why not take the offer? Maybe the "plan" they had for him was the wrong plan, or it wasn't executed properly, or Okello just couldn't develop into the player ther wanted him to be - or all of the above! 

I wonder about the old argument of playing talented young, but not yet proven, Canadians versus so-called "journeymen" Americans. Which is the better strategy depends on the relative players and the immediate goals of the club.

Posters here are correct that just three top tier clubs in Canada cannot absorb many, talented young Canadians. As such, loans to good developmental sides are in order. CPL could, and has, been a destination as have lower level leagues inEurope and in the US.

Overall, it is about meaningful minutes for young guys who need to play. Is, for example off the top of my head, Kosi Thompson  (19 years of age) better served with fewer and fewer minutes on the field as TFC's last season progressed, or would he have been better served playing more often for, say, Forge?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I think TFC will have to lower their price on him.

Yes, especially if they don't play him, or play him out of position. TBH he has not shown he is worth the 20 mill TFC have valuated him at. He is not even close to that valuation. 

If they are that high on him, they have to play him. Otherwise lower the price and let him go to Europe.