Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Fully agree @Obinna. Same thing can be said about Jayden Nelson. The guys need to turn the gear.

I seem to be higher on Nelson than some on here, but I think he very much has been turning it up a notch this season. Of all the TFC young guys over the last little while, he seems like the one who is seizing the opportunity and playing like a first teamer.   With some of the other guys it still feels like they are being given hopeful youth minutes whereas Nelson seems like he is deserving of the spot on the field.  At least IMO.  

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah I don’t think he gets transferred until January at the earliest, and only if he blows the doors off the rest of this season, however at that point he might be too “old” to be some big team’s ultra raw North American prospect. My guess is within a year or two he does the typical Canada-> Europe path: A year or two in Belgium, followed by a move to either a big Dutch or French team, and then we see what happens.

I know you put “old” in quotation marks but he literally just turned 18.  This time last week he was still a 17 year old who would be playing in MLS if it wasn’t for the injury.  I think he is still very much in the young prospect.  Not saying he will get snatched up by a big club like some young phenom, but to me his age isn’t yet going to drive the type of transfer he gets (if it materializes). 

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know you put “old” in quotation marks but he literally just turned 18.  This time last week he was still a 17 year old who would be playing in MLS if it wasn’t for the injury.  I think he is still very much in the young prospect.  Not saying he will get snatched up by a big club like some young phenom, but to me his age isn’t yet going to drive the type of transfer he gets (if it materializes). 

Agreed- I put old in quotations because I think for a Canadian to join a club like Liverpool, you have to really be a young prodigal phenom that Liverpool can't recruit from their own backyard. Not only is he competing against every other 17 year old in the world, he's at a disadvantage because he's foreign, and every year that passes, there are more and more players entering the academy and competing against him. For that reason, I think his Big Move won't come because some massive club wants to bring him through their youth system, I think he's going to follow the typical north american path of joining a top 10 league, showing off there, then moving to a top 5 league at like 23-24. I see his path as more Johnathan David than Alphonso Davies, if you will.

• 1 month later...

I kind of feel bad for the kids like Kerr, Nelson and JMR like i know its amazing to get these DPs into TFC but it really hurts their chances to make a big move abroad which is most likely their goals. I do see Kerr still getting some starts over Jimenez but nelson is gonna find it real tough getting in over the 2 Italians and JMR isn't  steady enough defensively to break in over kosi right now although I believe he is better just TFC needs people who are good defensively. I really liked Priso moving over to Colorado and hope it can happen with JMR and Nelson too but TFC also said they value JMR at 20M$ so a lateral move wouldn't get you that money, I do think another MLS team is a possibility for Nelson though. What i want to happen with JMR is he can get bought for like 5-10M$ to Liverpool, Arsenal, Brugge, Bayern and he can join the academy or maybe go on loan somewhere, that's a dream that I don't think will come to reality though. If TFC would do it I think Montreal would be a amazing destination for JMR in a wingback role where there is defensive duties but can also get forward a lot.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, Jack1997 said:

I do see Kerr still getting some starts over Jimenez but nelson is gonna find it real tough getting in over the 2 Italians

Kerr isn't behind Jiminez. Akinola is battling for playing time with Jiminez. Kerr and Nelson are first off the bench for the 2 Italians. They will get lots of playing time off of the bench. It is probably a better position playing off the bench with a winning team than starting for a losing team and being blamed for their struggles.

13 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Kerr isn't behind Jiminez. Akinola is battling for playing time with Jiminez. Kerr and Nelson are first off the bench for the 2 Italians. They will get lots of playing time off of the bench. It is probably a better position playing off the bench with a winning team than starting for a losing team and being blamed for their struggles.

Yes and furthermore they've just had half a season of that. Even coming off the bench now they've both logged plenty of minutes, so we shouldn't be worried about their game time. 

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

If you're a club who has heard of this 18 year old RB being watching by Liverpool and go check out how he's doing you'll see he's being kept out of the squad by a 19 year old 🙃

Not sure what one would make of that

Still convinced all this hype was created by TFC and his agent.

Some one called in a favor to get him on that Guardian list

How quickly things change. Rumoured Liverpool transfer, then injured, then minutes taken away. Not sure what his best move forward is. Don’t think Toronto will trade him, and I think that those premier transfer opportunities have dried out. I wonder if a team in France or Belgium would give him a shot.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm surprised Thompson is getting starts ahead of him. He hasn't been bad, but JMR clearly is more talented (at least on the ball). I assume it's a case of rewarding his decent performances. 

Talented but Kosi is clearly more stronger on the ball, and dribbling forward.

I think the negative I take from all of this with JMR is that he's being played out of position.
He's not a RB.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Talented but Kosi is clearly more stronger on the ball, and dribbling forward.

I think the negative I take from all of this with JMR is that he's being played out of position.
He's not a RB.

Toronto doesn't really have depth with the 3 midfield players in the 4-3-3. After Bradley, Osorio and Kaye there is only Okello and maybe Petrasso or Bernadeschi can be put there. I wouldn't be surprised to see JMR get a chance playing somewhere in that midfield.

15 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Yes.  I wonder how long his contract is (at which point he can just leave for free)?

I was thinking the same as you that he signed with one of the teams he was on trial with in Jan and was waiting to turn 18, but if he has attained that age then perhaps not. It's strange as he has not looked out of place when he has played, given he is not a RB/LB. 

• 2 weeks later...