Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The Azzurri are here and the young guns are still playing. Thompson and Nelson started last night.

Oso and MAK would normally have taken those 2 spots if healthy. There is still Kosi, Jayden, Kerr and Okello to take up sub mins in mid or RB if they all stick around. Even if JMR ends up playing a season with the 2nd team for Brugge, perhaps he gets to play in his preferred position which supposedly is attacking mid and develops much faster doing so vs at RB.

31 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Oso and MAK would normally have taken those 2 spots if healthy. There is still Kosi, Jayden, Kerr and Okello to take up sub mins in mid or RB if they all stick around. Even if JMR ends up playing a season with the 2nd team for Brugge, perhaps he gets to play in his preferred position which supposedly is attacking mid and develops much faster doing so vs at RB.

Perhaps. 

My concern is that Brugge would be harder to get minutes at than Toronto, and the reserve side doesn't play at a high level. Maybe he develops quickly in that l environment, but what then? How many players go to the reserves at Brugge and quickly get into the first team? I have questions and doubts about it.

MAK and Oso would normally take those spots, but injuries happen (as we see now). And we shouldn't worry about the other Canadians, because Rutty should be better than them. If he is not, and we insist he move on, maybe Rutty should go somewhere like Finland or Norway and play in his preferred role and develop playing first team games?

It’s a shame that he’s behind even Achara who before yesterday’s assist hasn’t done anything of value for TFC in his career.

i wonder which side ultimately balked at the Club Brugge offer this time around  (if there was ever anything concrete?  
And I always wonder why he didn’t do as Harvey Elliott had hoped and had “signed the ting g” and went to the Liverpool youth set up at the start of the year.

is his TFC contract preventing him from leaving, or does he not want to go overseas for some kind of youth team?

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

It’s a shame that he’s behind even Achara who before yesterday’s assist hasn’t done anything of value for TFC in his career.

i wonder which side ultimately balked at the Club Brugge offer this time around  (if there was ever anything concrete?  
And I always wonder why he didn’t do as Harvey Elliott had hoped and had “signed the ting g” and went to the Liverpool youth set up at the start of the year.

is his TFC contract preventing him from leaving, or does he not want to go overseas for some kind of youth team?

Back in January FIFA rules were preventing him from leaving. He wasn't yet 18, and you can't go to a foreign team before your 18th birthday unless your family is moving there for non-sporting reasons. I have no idea if there were other reasons to not go then, but that rule makes any other considerations moot.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, TOcanadafan said:

At this point, it’d probably be best for him to take the jump to Europe.  TFC will just hold him back at this point with no regular playing time the rest of this year or in the foreseeable future.  

Until proven otherwise, its still better for young players to leave TFC as soon as possible. 

The summer transfer window basically reiterated this point.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:05 AM, TOcanadafan said:

It’s a shame that he’s behind even Achara who before yesterday’s assist hasn’t done anything of value for TFC in his career...

Playing time has to be earned and Bob Bradley gave JMR a shot at starting in games when the season started. Like Kadin Chung opposing teams managed to demonstrate that he wasn't quite ready for prime time at MLS level. Hindsight is 20/20 but a loan to a CanPL team might have been the better way to go this season.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Playing time has to be earned and Bob Bradley gave him a shot at starting in games when the season started. Like Kadin Chung opposing teams managed to demonstrate that he wasn't quite ready for prime time at MLS level. Hindsight is 20/20 but a loan to a CanPL team might have been the better way to go this season.

Boiler plate

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Playing time has to be earned and Bob Bradley gave JMR a shot at starting in games when the season started. Like Kadin Chung opposing teams managed to demonstrate that he wasn't quite ready for prime time at MLS level. Hindsight is 20/20 but a loan to a CanPL team might have been the better way to go this season.

The kid started 2 games before he was injured and one of those was named to MLS team of the week.  He’s barely got the chance to play meaningful minutes since he’s been fit.   
Perhaps Bradley knows he’s not going to stick around long at TFC so doesn’t really care about him.

23 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

The kid started 2 games before he was injured and one of those was named to MLS team of the week.  He’s barely got the chance to play meaningful minutes since he’s been fit.   
Perhaps Bradley knows he’s not going to stick around long at TFC so doesn’t really care about him.

You are leaving out that he made a substitute appearance after the first three games he started before he was out injured for several weeks and was used either starting (once) or off the bench in 9 out of 11 games after he returned from injury. He was still being given a chance to get to where they had hoped he would be at the start of the season in other words.

Richie Laryea's arrival was always going to limit his opportunities after that but that's only for a year. He may still be viewed as the answer after that if Laryea goes elsewhere. Not sure whether Laryea would have to go through the allocation process if there was another loan from Nottingham Forest.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The Laryea loan weirdly ends summer of 2023.

Based on Nottingham Forest's transfer window I'm going to assume Laryea will be out. He will probably re sign with TFC permanently. 

I still contend that for young players the best thing for their career progression may be to get out of TFC as soon as they can.

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You are leaving out that he made a substitute appearance after the first three games he started before he was out injured for several weeks and was used either starting (once) or off the bench in 9 out of 11 games after he returned from injury. He was still being given a chance to get to where they had hoped he would be at the start of the season in other words.

Richie Laryea's arrival was always going to limit his opportunities after that but that's only for a year. He may still be viewed as the answer after that if Laryea goes elsewhere. Not sure whether Laryea would have to go through the allocation process if there was another loan from Nottingham Forest.

Getting injured in his 3rd start, then coming on as a sub in the next game when he obviously hadn’t recovered shouldn’t count against him.  I agree Laryea limits his opportunity, but he should have had more chances playing in the midfield since Kaye and now Osorio have been injured.
TFC needs to stop shouting that he’s worth $20 M if they aren’t going to play him.  That’s why I’d love to know where JMR sees this heading.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The Laryea loan weirdly ends summer of 2023.

Based on Nottingham Forest's transfer window I'm going to assume Laryea will be out. He will probably re sign with TFC permanently. 

I still contend that for young players the best thing for their career progression may be to get out of TFC as soon as they can.

If they get relegated maybe lines up nicely for him to return to them in the championship?

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, frmr said:

Possibly because he isn't a right back.

I agree.   But he also doesn’t seem like the kind of guys who is doing anything flashy.  He isn’t beating someone one on one with tricks and flicks.  He doesn’t have the raw speed to beat someone on the outside.   That is why I think he just seems, at best, to be solid and consistent at this level.  It is also why I (and I think @Obinna) have suggested he may be better as a CAM than an outside player because his skillset just doesn’t seem ideally suited for an outside back or wing-type position.   People talk about his footy IQ for his age, so reading the play, finding the effective pass, and thinking a step ahead of his opponents may be his lane - and that seems better in the middle of the park.   Throw in the young talent we already have on the outside of our formation at the national level, and I would love to see him transition into a CAM.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Nice to see him here but in all honesty, He has not done anything impressive imo with TFC all season. At best he didn't look horrible but I can't remember even one play where I was like "woah he's got something going on"

I think he’s made it strictly on the hype he’s received over the pst couple years and because he is still only 18 on 22 and younger list. 
 He wouldn’t be on this list if it was based solely on his performances this season.  He also likely wouldn’t be on the list if he was a couple years older.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

Nice to see him here but in all honesty, He has not done anything impressive imo with TFC all season. At best he didn't look horrible but I can't remember even one play where I was like "woah he's got something going on"

Same

if you didn’t hear all the hype over the last three years, would anyone even rank him above Kosi Thompson for example? To me, on the pitch he looks like a future journeyman MLS quality player.

now, young players sometimes struggle to show their best on the pitch and are better in training / practice. Maybe that’s the case here. I would like to see him play full time in an intermediate league (like CPL) but that’s obviously not something TFC would risk. In a way his hype is getting in the way of his development - he’s an asset for TFC and they don’t want to degrade that asset but until he’s good enough to be a more prominent player for TFC he’s going to languish on the bench

• 3 weeks later...