Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news about him lately? I believe we’re at about the 8 week mark.

only thing I see is that most of his recent Twitter likes are LFC related, assuming that means they have a deal in place and he’s just supporting his future employer.

Edited by InglewoodJack

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

only thing I see is that most of his recent Twitter likes are LFC related, assuming that means they have a deal in place and he’s just supporting his future employer.

Hope so. Would be very unfortunate if his injury derailed a deal. It sounded promising at the time and I hope there’s an agreement in place.

9 hours ago, frmr said:

Hope so. Would be very unfortunate if his injury derailed a deal. It sounded promising at the time and I hope there’s an agreement in place.

Yeah, I hope that he’s able to get back on track ASAP. I think transfermarkt had him as the 7th most valuable 17 and under player in the world just before he went down in april, so I hope that this injury doesn’t derail his progress for too long, he has a bright future.

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

We are going to have to rely on the TFC beat reporters, who usually just give us info on gameday on who is available to play on gameday.  Since JMR had the surgery on April 1, this week is week 7, so he should be ready to do some light running.

Wonder if he’s still gonna move, wouldn’t be suprised if he gets singed and loaned back to TFC similar to Tajon did but I hope he goes to Liverpool due to their player development system. Depending on how well he performs he could be the back up RB as they don’t have one but realistically would get loaned or play with u23s

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

Liverpool has signed Calvin Ramsay to be the heir apparent to Trent AA…I wonder if this means they no longer have interest in JMR?

If they did have interest i doubt signing Calvin Ramsay would single handedly kill that.

Personally, I'm not really convinced that there was any real interest though. 

I am hopeful for him, but he has to spend another year or two in MLS and show that he can be a force in this league at the age of 18 or 19 before we all start thinking he is destined for greatness.  The first task is to become a consistent starter for TFC and then to really be a player that excels in MLS.  He definitely has time on his side but he has a lot of work to do to justify the idea that he is ready for a big club IMO.  

I don't think JMR gets a big overseas transfer after missing so much time this season. I think he had to be a starter in MLS (check) but actually feature as a young stand out, which looked possible until the injury. 

I still think he'll get to Europe at some point, but I don't see a move to Liverpool in the cards. Best to get his reps in MLS for now.

Even going through the American U-20 roster there seems to be several players in his age cohort that have caught up in terms of MLS first team appearances. JMR doesn't strike me as having special attributes, just plays very maturely for his age. With that profile I just don't see the best of the best European clubs snatching him up right now. 

Yeah I don’t think he gets transferred until January at the earliest, and only if he blows the doors off the rest of this season, however at that point he might be too “old” to be some big team’s ultra raw North American prospect. My guess is within a year or two he does the typical Canada-> Europe path: A year or two in Belgium, followed by a move to either a big Dutch or French team, and then we see what happens.

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

Fully agree @Obinna. Same thing can be said about Jayden Nelson. The guys need to turn the gear.

I think the new secret prospect is Kosi Thompson. Sometimes it's the silent ones that end up making the big moves.

Agree on Thompson. Guys like that can sneak up on us (in a good way).

I agree on Nelson too, but would add that he finally seems to be doing that, bit by bit. It was not long ago I feared he'd be all flash and no substance as a pro, but things seem to be moving in the right direction for that kid. There's still a lot of improvement to be had, but I am encouraged by what I have seen as of late. 

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agree on Thompson. Guys like that can sneak up on us (in a good way).

I agree on Nelson too, but would add that he finally seems to be doing that, bit by bit. It was not long ago I feared he'd be all flash and no substance as a pro, but things seem to be moving in the right direction for that kid. There's still a lot of improvement to be had, but I am encouraged by what I have seen as of late. 

I have been encouraged by Nelson lately, too. He often looks like the only guy on TFC that can make something happen. I really hope that when Osorio and the new signings come in that Nelson continues to be the one to get playing time.

4 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I have been encouraged by Nelson lately, too. He often looks like the only guy on TFC that can make something happen. I really hope that when Osorio and the new signings come in that Nelson continues to be the one to get playing time.

My hope is that we have Insigne on one flank and Nelson on the other. We could then pair Akinola and Jimenez up top with a midfield 2 of Osorio and Pozuelo. Or depending on the formation, we could go 3 in the middle with Bradley-Osorio-Pozuelo and withdraw one of Akinola or Jimenez (perhaps more likely).

Either way, I do like Nelson's chances of being the other wide player opposite of Insigne. 

To the extent any euro club signs him it’s on potential, not current form. The buzz was he impressed during his trials last winter and had offers. Whether those are under wraps just to avoid putting the kid in the spotlight or not, it’s unclear.

Personally, I think he should go and attach himself to a good club with a pedigree for grooming talent. Potentially start on loan in Belgium or Netherlands.

TFC has mixed priorities and I doubt they’ll be able to give youth the same sort of rope they have in the first half of this year once LA arrives