Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

For Davies, CPL > MLS academy. Things obviously worked out for him, but the Impact of an Edmonton CPL team getting to start a 15 year old Davies for a year before going to the Whitecaps would've been awesome for the city, the local soccer scene, and he would've played more professional soccer, which a lot of our young players sorely lack. Davies is generational enough where it doesn't matter how he got there, he was destined for greatness, but the next Davies will hopefully get his start in the CPL before quickly moving up to MLS and or Europe.

So you think he would have gone to a Edmonton CPL team at 14??  He was in the VAN Academy at 15 already.....MLS at 15, i think second youngest ever....where do you think he had time to spend a year in the CPL???  He already was the youngest ever player to score in USL just over 15, second youngest ever to start in MLS at 15 etc etc etc.  I get what your saying, for the top level kids a stint in CPL as a teenager might be a jumpstart to their career.  But I think comparing our kids to european kids isnt really helpful.  Our kids with our climate/culture, they are a year or two behind, which is why I think so many of our current CMNT guys went the college route and didnt hit their top gear at 17-18, but more like 21.  With the obvious exclusions of wunderkids like Davies and David.  

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

...CPL's current niche is exactly what you're talking about, but the question was what the CPL needs to do to bridge the gap with MLS...

The analogy isn't exact but that's a bit like people in Scotland talking about what they need to do to bridge the gap with the English premiership if Rangers, Celtic and a joint Edinburgh team were already playing in it and attracting a majority of the potential fanbase and media interest. Good luck with that you are going to need it would be the assessment of people who are not viewing it through the prism of an irrational emotion-fueled Nationalist agenda.

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The analogy isn't exact but that's a bit like people in Scotland talking about what they need to do to bridge the gap with the English premiership if Rangers, Celtic and a joint Edinburgh team were already playing in it and attracting a majority of the potential fanbase and media interest. Good luck with that you are going to need it would be the assessment of people who are not viewing it through the prism of an irrational emotion-fueled Nationalist agenda.

You lose credibility with just the mention of a joint Edinburgh team, that would just never happen,  how about a Glasgow United with Celtic and Rangers merging to be stronger?😀

You clearly didn't understand the intent behind the post. There was no suggestion that Hibs and Hearts would ever amalgamate only an analogy as to what people who talk seriously on here about CanPL being on par with MLS one day would be hoping for in Scottish terms if the current state of affairs in Canadian soccer was happening in a Scottish context instead. 

Hockey has the Leafs, basketball has the Raptors, and baseball has the Blue Jays. None of these sports ever appears to have people seriously expecting to be able to replicate the same scale of operations with a Canada only league, but for some reason soccer does.

The scale of operations that can be sustained is important in terms of what is achievable in player development terms. MLS has made it possible for players like Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty to go through a fully funded merit based academy system with genuinely pro level coaching. Having a domestic league where players can potentially earn into seven figures also helps convince more youth athletes to hang in there with soccer rather than some other sport as they approach their mid-teens.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hockey has the Leafs, basketball has the Raptors, and baseball has the Blue Jays. None of these sports ever appears to have people seriously expecting to be able to replicate the same scale of operations with a Canada only league, but for some reason soccer does.

The scale of operations that can be sustained is important in terms of what is achievable in player development terms. MLS has made it possible for players like Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty to go through a fully funded merit based academy system with genuinely pro level coaching. Having a domestic league where players can potentially earn into seven figures also helps convince more youth athletes to hang in there with soccer rather than some other sport as they approach their mid-teens.

Shway is typing…

Nah fuck it.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You clearly didn't understand the intent behind the post. There was no suggestion that Hibs and Hearts would ever amalgamate only an analogy as to what people who talk seriously on here about CanPL being on par with MLS one day would be hoping for in Scottish terms if the current state of affairs in Canadian soccer was happening in a Scottish context instead. 

MLS is a domestic league? I could have sworn CPL was our domestic league. Oh well...what do I know? If Ozzie the Douchebag says it is so then it must be so.

31 minutes ago, RS said:

I don't really care about the Everyone vs. Ozzie thing going on in here (and everywhere on this forum), but MLS is indeed our domestic league. So is CPL. 

MLS' rules need to be further amended in favour of Canadians, but that's a different discussion doesn't really change anything re: its div. 1 status in Canada.

I agree that it is the top level in Canada and I would designate the CPL as 1a. I'm actually a huge fan of the Canadian MLS teams, especially TFC where I had season tickets for many years. I'm now a Forge FC season ticket because they are my hometown team. I think the two leagues can and should complement each other. I'm just sick and tired of Ozzie's bullshit on here. I consider him nothing more than a  troll and will continue to treat him as such. He can go fuck himself. 

47 minutes ago, longlugan said:

I agree that it is the top level in Canada and I would designate the CPL as 1a. I'm actually a huge fan of the Canadian MLS teams, especially TFC where I had season tickets for many years. I'm now a Forge FC season ticket because they are my hometown team. I think the two leagues can and should complement each other. I'm just sick and tired of Ozzie's bullshit on here. I consider him nothing more than a  troll and will continue to treat him as such. He can go fuck himself. 

Fair enough!

On 1/13/2023 at 7:15 PM, Bison44 said:

So you think he would have gone to a Edmonton CPL team at 14??  He was in the VAN Academy at 15 already.....MLS at 15, i think second youngest ever....where do you think he had time to spend a year in the CPL???  He already was the youngest ever player to score in USL just over 15, second youngest ever to start in MLS at 15 etc etc etc.  I get what your saying, for the top level kids a stint in CPL as a teenager might be a jumpstart to their career.  But I think comparing our kids to european kids isnt really helpful.  Our kids with our climate/culture, they are a year or two behind, which is why I think so many of our current CMNT guys went the college route and didnt hit their top gear at 17-18, but more like 21.  With the obvious exclusions of wunderkids like Davies and David.  

I think the idea is that he could have potentially chosen staying at home in Edmonton at age 15 and maybe 16 instead of leaving his family for Vancouver. Davies did have FC Edmonton available to him in the NASL, but still the point remains. If another Davies or David popped up in a CPL city, they could potentially get their start in CPL and tear up the league and then get transferred out. Either straight to Europe or via MLS first. I agree with @InglewoodJack that it would raise the profile of the league (but I do think 100 Watermans help a lot as well). Davies and David are good examples for the fact that they were basically ready made stars without real development from MLS academies (no disrespect to what Vancouver did for Davies once he was with the first team). David chose to avoid MLS. He might have chosen to avoid CPL as well, but maybe not. MLS is possibly more possessive of their players, if CPL is viewed to be more fair and more willing to move players on than MLS, then maybe someone with the same mindset as David decides against MLS, but in favour of CPL.

11 hours ago, RS said:

I don't really care about the Everyone vs. Ozzie thing

Not at all how I’d describe it. I see it more as an Ozzie vs a domestic league thing, with a bunch of people sharing responsibility to refute the constant negative spin. I’d much prefer a simple downvote option 

Edited by Aird25

^^^worth noting that one of the things that appears to upset these guys the most is the notion that it would have been better for Canadian soccer to have players like Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty playing for a separately branded TFC affiliate in CanPL rather than in USL L1 or Next Pro as the stepping stone to the main MLS roster. If that approach had been followed it's quite possible that the demise of FC Edmonton could have been avoided and CanPL wouldn't have to worry so much about how commited the Valour and York United are moving forward.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

20 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Not at all how I’d describe it. I see it more as an Ozzie vs a domestic league thing, with a bunch of people sharing responsibility to refute the constant negative spin. I’d much prefer a simple downvote option 

I disagree with most of Ozzie's opinions, but I have to say in this thread there were a lot of people that were actually digging up his past as opposed to addressing what he said (in at least part of the discussion). When he asked how someone knew CPL was a higher level than MLS Next, the answers had nothing to do with MLS Next. It was a fair question in my opinion, because we don't have any competitive examples to point to. My hunch would be that CPL is a higher level, but I don't have any hard data on that.

This phenomenon has happened here and there over the years. A lot of the time he probably deserves the backlash, but sometimes it comes when it's not warranted.

Edited by Kent
Spelling

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^worth noting that one of the things that appears to upset these guys the most is the notion that it would have been better for Canadian soccer to have players like Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty playing for a separately branded TFC affiliate in CanPL rather than in USL L1 or Next Pro as the steeping stone to the main MLS roster. If that approach had been followed it's quite possible that the demise of FC Edmonton could have been avoided and CanPL wouldn't have to worry so much about how commited the Valour and York United are moving forward.

It's also possible that if MLS were allowed to have affiliate teams that those teams would have been in place rather than a few of the ownership groups we ended up with, and that once the MLS Next mandate came down from the league that the MLS teams might have pulled out of CPL, leaving us with 5 or 6 teams instead of the 8 we have now.

Missing the main point of that post, which was highlighting how the idea that I am opposed to a domestic league or want CanPL to fail is complete and utter nonsense. A certain posse of posters on here don't like what I have suggested is probably going to be necessary to make CanPL sustainable long term rather than a flash in the pan like the latter day NASL or imminently judging by what I am reading elsewhere NISA, because it would mean that CanPL would not be challenging MLS for supremacy in Canada.

Think it's questionable whether Next Pro would have emerged in the way it did if CanPL wasn't blocking MLS linked sides from entering and the CSA wasn't blocking the Whitecaps and Impact from ever having Canadian-based USL teams again. That created a pressing problem on how to keep functioning as a single entity straddling the border that Next Pro has solved. There were also no doubt issues that created tensions with USL but the MLS-2 teams would have been difficult to get rid of in legal terms in that context if they hadn't been willing to jump because they had decided to do something else.

I'm not convinced Next Pro is going to be better than an affiliate (never been sold on the MLS-2 team approach) playing games that genuinely matter in a league like the USL Championship (or CanPL if things had unfolded differently) from the standpoint of developing players like Jakheele Marshall-Rutty but money will still talk on where players will go. They'll need to find a way to make it like AAA baseball rather than a barely visible reserve league.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Sooo he says CSA blocked Van and Montreal from restarting USL affiliates (which they had shut down on their own and i dont remember any rumors of them trying to start them up again) but CSA says its ok to do basically the same thing and fire up new clubs with MLS NextPro when MLS decides that it, is the cross border reserve league they are going to use??   Is this something real or just out of some birds fever dream??  And why did the CSA have a change of heart?  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Sooo he says CSA blocked Van and Montreal from restarting USL affiliates (which they had shut down on their own and i dont remember any rumors of them trying to start them up again) but CSA says its ok to do basically the same thing and fire up new clubs with MLS NextPro when MLS decides that it, is the cross border reserve league they are going to use??   Is this something real or just out of some birds fever dream??  And why did the CSA have a change of heart?  

MLS NextPro is likely seen by the CSA as a mere extension of MLS rather than a separate league. If so, then no change of heart was needed for the Canadian teams (well, two of them) to join NextPro .

9 hours ago, Kent said:

I disagree with most of Ozzie's opinions, but I have to say in this thread there were a lot of people that were actually digging up his past as opposed to addressing what he said (in at least part of the discussion). When he asked how someone knew CPL was a higher level than MLS Next, the answers had nothing to do with MLS Next. It was a fair question in my opinion, because we don't have any competitive examples to point to. My hunch would be that CPL is a higher level, but I don't have any hard data on that.

This phenomenon has happened hear and there over the years. A lot of the time he probably deserves the backlash, but sometimes it comes when it's not warranted.

If you're a complete fuckwit who's been polluting the board with absolute rubbish for years, you're naturally going to get far less patience from the community, even if you, once-in-awhile, manage to come up with a contribution that's not utter nonsense. Ozzie's not a victim, as he's convinced himself is the case. He's just a knobhead who's burned all his bridges with the vast majority of the regular visitors to these forums.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you're a complete fuckwit who's been polluting the board with absolute rubbish for years, you're naturally going to get far less patience from the community, even if you, once-in-awhile, manage to come up with a contribution that's not utter nonsense. Ozzie's not a victim, as he's convinced himself is the case. He's just a knobhead who's burned all his bridges with the vast majority of the regular visitors to these forums.

I'm just saying, we all pay for it when he spouts his nonsense, but we also all pay for it when others spout nonsense in response to the posts of his that are reasonable.