Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

3 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

At this point, it’d probably be best for him to take the jump to Europe.  TFC will just hold him back at this point with no regular playing time the rest of this year or in the foreseeable future.  

I mostly agree with this, if the reported interest in Europe is accurate he should take the jump as he strikes me as a player who has the potential to be very good in the right situation, remember he is very young! I can't really fault TFC for not playing him a lot right now as they are in a life and death battle for the play offs and earlier in the season before the Italians arrived he was out with injuries!

3 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

At this point, it’d probably be best for him to take the jump to Europe.  TFC will just hold him back at this point with no regular playing time the rest of this year or in the foreseeable future.  

Or a loan would work. I suspect Laryea will be gone next season and the position will be his again.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, narduch said:

My guess is he would start with their reserve team, which plays in the division below (same league as Liam Fraser)

Right...and if you are JMR, why play reserve ball in Belgium when you can play top flight in North America? Now if he were playing reserve ball for a giant club like Barcelona, and playing his reserve ball in a strong division like the Segunda, then it's a good move.

I would rather Rutty develop in MLS like Tajon, then transfer to a club like Brugge and go straight to the first team. Reserve ball at Brugge (for example) seems unnecessary. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Right...and if you are JMR, why play reserve ball in Belgium when you can play top flight in North America? Now if he were playing reserve ball for a giant club like Barcelona, and playing his reserve ball in a strong division like the Segunda, then it's a good move.

I would rather Rutty develop in MLS like Tajon, then transfer to a club like Brugge and go straight to the first team. Reserve ball at Brugge (for example) seems unnecessary. 

Except there is no guarantee he will get consistent mins  with TFC next season, as they will be pressure to win from the start with the 2 highly priced DPs and probably a 3rd. David started out with Ghent's 2nd team and while JMR has some pro exp it's not a lot.

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Except there is no guarantee he will get consistent mins  with TFC next season, as they will be pressure to win from the start with the 2 highly priced DPs and probably a 3rd. David started out with Ghent's 2nd team and while JMR has some pro exp it's not a lot.

This is my big worry. The excuse this year is that the Azurri came too late and there wasn’t enough time to catch up.  Next year it will be all about results and winning it all.  Not sure how much room there will be for the young guns.  

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That's true. Toronto may bring in a veteran right back in the mold of Criscito for all we know.

As it stands now though, he's projected to be the no. 1 right back when Laryea leaves. And, if he's the prospect we all think he is, he should be trusted by BB to be the starter and be the replacement for a departing Laryea. After all, when Laryea left he was the starter at RB to begin the season, so in my view it's reasonable to expect that again.  

But it is fair to point out there's no guarantee. I agree with you on that.

I guess the question is whether Toronto feel comfortable with Rutty and Thompson as the RB options next year. And it depends on if they can find the right player if they don't. It's not guaranteed they will, even if they want to.

And I will keep beating the Rutty-midfield drum. I think he can play minutes there, just like Nelson and Thompson. So between RB and midfield, I am confident he'll get his reps (unless a solid player comes in for the departing Laryea, of course). 

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The excuse this year is that the Azurri came too late and there wasn’t enough time to catch up.  Next year it will be all about results and winning it all.  Not sure how much room there will be for the young guns.  

The Azzurri are here and the young guns are still playing. Thompson and Nelson started last night. Rutty was on the bench as Laryea's backup. Richie is more of a factor than the Italians, in my eyes. Now if more Italians come into the club, and one of them happens to play right back, then okay Rutty has a problem, but I won't worry about that until it actually happens.

Even if a high profile RB comes in, Rutty can learn from him and get better, worst case scenario. I would rather he go elsewhere and play if that happens though. Just saying that if it does it still wouldn't be the end of the world.

He'll be just 18/19 next season. He has amassed 25 games in MLS thus far.

He'd still doing fairly well for himself if he's on the bench to start next season. 

Edit: I see what you are actually saying now, Nam. You mentioned the Azzurri in relation to TFC's ambition, not Rutty's playing time. Still, I don't think Toronto's ambition was any different earlier in the season. They still wanted to win at all costs so they could hang in the picture until the arrivals came.  

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The Azurri are here and the young guns are still playing. Thompson and Nelson started last night. Rutty was on the bench as Laryea's backup. Richie is more of a factor than the Italians, in my eyes. Now if more Italians come into the club, and one of them happens to play right back, then okay Rutty has a problem, but I won't worry about that until it actually happens.

Even if a high profile RB comes in, Rutty can learn from him and get better, worst case scenario. I would rather he go elsewhere and play if that happens though. Just saying that if it does it still wouldn't be the end of the world.

He'll be just 18/19 next season. He has amassed 25 games in MLS thus far.

He'd still doing fairly well for himself if he's on the bench to start next season. 

It is more the idea of additional imports that makes me worried.  They are clearly building a team that is going to make a push for another championship.   That may or may not include substantial contributions by young Canadians at the present level we are seeing.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

It is more the idea of additional imports that makes me worried.  They are clearly building a team that is going to make a push for another championship.   That may or may not include substantial contributions by young Canadians at the present level we are seeing.  

Gotcha. That is a fair concern, I think. I guess for me I won't worry until a player actually comes in to specifically play RB (or wherever Rutty will play).

And I guess my point is that Rutty should be good enough for TFC not to bring another RB in, because if he isn't should we should perhaps be talking about him going to a lower European level in search of playing time (like Scandinavia).

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They are clearly building a team that is going to make a push for another championship.   That may or may not include substantial contributions by young Canadians at the present level we are seeing.  

Correct.  The only thing we know for sure is that the offense will be lead by the Italiians, and a 36 yr old Michael Bradley (next summer) will continue to play 90 minutes, game after game, regardless of how he plays.