Luke Singh

Jith12

49 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

It feels to me like Singh was interested in T&T as he seemed to be out of the CanMNT picture. I can't really blame him for testing the waters. But now that he's in the picture of the CanMNT, I'd have to imagine he's on-board for the foreseeable future.

I think this is the third time I have said something like this, but given our future prospects and our limited centre back cohort (and the age of some of those currently involved) it would be a absolutely crazy if Singh didn’t try to get on board with the CMNT.  He is 20 years old so the potential to be a core CB for us in 2026 is absolutely in play.  And given his age and the level he is playing at, he could realistically leapfrog Cornelius, Dunn, Zator, and any other young(ish) CB’s currently in the mix.  

He would have to be nuts to close the door on all of that just to get a cap with T&T in the short term.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

He's not particularly close to being good enough to be an MLS starter

One could say the same about Gonzo, Mavinga and Zavaletta this year too.  Of the four, not sure you could tell who the rookie was if you didn't know who was who. 

Same could also be said about most 20yr old center backs getting their pro starts.  Took a couple of games in a row for Tomori to find his footing with Chelsea as well that first season.

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think he had both good and less good moments out there tonight.

For a 20 year old rookie CB in MLS, I’m more willing to cut him some slack as they’re not catastrophic misses.  

These are coachable and developable flaws in his game that can be ironed out.  The talent looks like it’s there.

Perfect assessment. I saw the same things. 

Slomar had the exact same game too in my opinion. Which is good to compare because he’s past his prime, while Singh hasn’t even seen his yet. 

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

He's not particularly close to being good enough to be an MLS starter

I'm hoping at this point, he can be a serviceable #3 or 4 that would be great.  Zav was never good enough to be a starter, Mavinga doesnt play like it always and Slomar is rapidly getting to the point he cant either.  Get Singh the odd start from now to the end of the season (ie Zavs minutes), see how much he can improve.  He needs to crawl before he can run.  Still want to see how well Dunn would do.  

He does seem to be very confused out there - a lot of moments of being frozen in indecision.  To this point, I wonder how much Slomar communicates / ‘leads’ on the field?  I’ve heard a commentator mention he is vocal, but the back line seems to be so disorganized whenever he plays.  
On the positive, he seems good at winning aerial duels - something TFC really needs.

As a TFC fan it's just interesting that Singh seemingly leapfrogged Dunn and Romeo after taking advantage of their absences and having a good game against Leon. Hopefully the other 2 can get chances because if Singh as the 3rd highest rated by the club is currently a good 4th choice cb, then one can hope at least one of Dunn or Romeo are Zavaleta/Omar level or higher.

Edited by sebdeserio

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Singh was okay from what I saw last night.  Again, I am really hoping that Dunn can come in and finally claim some minutes when he's healthy later this month.

I thought he was pretty poor to be honest. Or maybe, more aptly, inexperienced. Lost his man a few times and hesitated to step up in certain situations. 

He is consistently good on the ball though.

Just now, PopePouri said:

The first goal was him giving the ball away which lead to the counter and free-kick. 

I stand corrected. That had skipped my memory for some reason. 

I will say I do generally like him on the ball though. He’s fairly calm and isn’t scared to move a bit forward to break lines if needed. 

That pass specifically though, completely unnecessary.

5 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I stand corrected. That had skipped my memory for some reason. 

I will say I do generally like him on the ball though. He’s fairly calm and isn’t scared to move a bit forward to break lines if needed. 

That pass specifically though, completely unnecessary.

No, he's good. Comfortable with both feet. I'm hoping these tactical issues can be ironed out with coaching, reps, and him willing to learn.