Luke Singh

Jith12

The last posts, based on one match, are ridiculous and embarrassing. I mean seriously. 

The first goal the angle is not one you'd expect a striker to score from. The second lapse it seemed he was thinking about covering a pass or thought another had him. In any case, you could argue about those decisions, and if he sees the repeats he might understand about closing down better. But seriously: this is not a league where defenders close down well at all, the laxity at the top of the box, in the area, holding in the middle, is notorious. 

In general, I find the over-analysis after that match totally silly, especially when it comes to analysing young players being groomed to be regulars. The coach will take a look with them, they'll adjust. 

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

It was just naivety at its finest. Singh's pace is fine. Quioto would have done the same to Sergio Ramos and Thiago Silva....it's just that those two would have realized the speed they were dealing with and put a sliding challenge in to clear the danger right away before it escalated any further. That's literally all Luke had to do here, he had a two second window to put a foot in but failed to do it.  

he cut the angle enough,but bono was slow off his line like he always is.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In general, I find the over-analysis after that match totally silly, especially when it comes to analysing young players being groomed to be regulars. The coach will take a look with them, they'll adjust. 

"The Voyageurs Forum, Over-analyzing since 199_" should be on the heading/title somewhere here.

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

"The Voyageurs Forum, Over-analyzing since 199_" should be on the heading/title somewhere here.

I am all for it if we are talking about an experienced pro. Or someone on a salary you can expect something from

But this kid has basically zero pro experience, is a CB, extremely young, was on 4-day contracts until last week and is not even in our frigging player pool!

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is indeed too much game by game over analysis.  Positive or negative.   The positive analysis and reviews can be just as faulty, naive or misleading.   I find it best to wait for at least five outings before starting to pass any kind of judgement and i say this about any developing player irrespective of nationality.  And it has to be against a certain quality of competition.   

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

There is indeed too much game by game over analysis.  Positive or negative.   The positive analysis and reviews can be just as faulty, naive or misleading.   I find it best to wait for at least five outings before starting to pass any kind of judgement and i say this about any developing player irrespective of nationality.  And it has to be against a certain quality of competition.   

I agree, I found the analysis on Singh after the CCL match to be a bit much. I had a long reply to a post or two about it at the time that I just erased because I didn’t watch the whole match and didn’t want to seem like I was being a hater. People are ready to claim any CB with a reasonable performance is the next saviour, while the CBs that are actually in our player pool are overly criticized on every mistake they make. If you watch any CB long enough, you’ll see them make plenty of mistakes, so to herald them as some great player after a match or 2 is a bit much. 

Even now, reading my post, I think it comes across as I’m hating on Singh. I haven’t seen enough of him to make a proper assessment, but my point is none of us really have. The same was true of Norman in the Olympic Qualifying in my opinion. Hopefully these guys continue to improve and get to the level that they can be useful to the NT, but I don’t think that time is now.

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I agree, I found the analysis on Singh after the CCL match to be a bit much. I had a long reply to a post or two about it at the time that I just erased because I didn’t watch the whole match and didn’t want to seem like I was being a hater. People are ready to claim any CB with a reasonable performance is the next saviour, while the CBs that are actually in our player pool are overly criticized on every mistake they make. If you watch any CB long enough, you’ll see them make plenty of mistakes, so to herald them as some great player after a match or 2 is a bit much. 

Even now, reading my post, I think it comes across as I’m hating on Singh. I haven’t seen enough of him to make a proper assessment, but my point is none of us really have. The same was true of Norman in the Olympic Qualifying in my opinion. Hopefully these guys continue to improve and get to the level that they can be useful to the NT, but I don’t think that time is now.

I did the same thing.  I started typing a long post relating to Singh’s match.    Then i stopped after a paragraph and was lost for words.    Then then i also started contradicting myself 😄

Edited by Free kick

Not sure why all the criticism.  Not many CBs are as fast as forwards.  Plain and simple.  TFC were playing a high block with a compressed formation.  The errors on the first two goals occurred further up field from Auro who had a nightmare game and then went on to badly miss a called back penalty.  Look how far Auro was from the CB.  He's a left back.  Maybe the worst game from a player I've seen in a long time.  Bono also has to have the near post covered that's really unprofessional on the second goal.  Singh cut down the angle for the shot which is all you can ask.  On the last goal Gonzalez got caught flat footed and Singh stayed with his man.  I mean how many times did Gonzalez leave Singh to do 1v1 defending against multiple players? Quite a few.

This loss is on the coach really.  Armas was caught between two minds.  Do you reward the guys who put in a shift as a new coach or do you instantly rotate and how does that motivate players to work hard?  If Armas was in game 5 you rotate.  If you are setting the culture, which he still is, you reward the guys.  He did.  They were tired.  He also stuck to the press despite it being broken quite easily but he is still ramping up the team to his style of play.  I think he was far too slow on the substitutions and should have adjusted the press after the second goal.

Issues that presented itself in this game were different than against Leon.  TFC weren't taller and bigger than Monteal like they were against Leon.  Free kicks were more of a problem such as the third goal header over Bradley.  Also, Bradley should NEVER take free kicks. He's terrible at it.  But when Osorio, Pozuelo, Altidore are out....that's what you get.

This game is a much different game if Shaffelburg scores on the breakaway chip and Bradley scores on the six yard sitter.  Montreal scored on the first shot and maybe the fourth shot.  They were absolutely clinical on their chances and TFC were not. Goals change the dynamics of games and the press was scored on early and the chances TFC had were squandered.  

I actually thought Singh was good given how the game was played.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

I did the same thing.  I started typing a long post relating to Singh’s match.    Then i stopped after a paragraph and was lost for words.    Then then i also started contradicting myself 😄

You think when he made a 10yrd pass with the inside of his foot and Gareth Wheeler fell of his chair screaming Wow no look pass! Think maybe a bit much? Nah seemed reasonable 

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

dude has played three pro games and is just beginning his career. We don't need discertations.

Yeah I think that’s fair. We basically know nothing about him as a player at this stage or how much he could improve with time. 

That said, there was one play that stuck with me. Auro was trying to handle a guy 1v1 as he’s attacking the TFC box on a counter. Singh was not that far off the play but he was basically jogging back in an panic-station situation. TFC were already down a couple goals and very much looking out of it. From well behind Singh, a not fast Omar Gonzales sprints and makes an emergency tackle just as the Montreal player got past Auro. 

Now Gonzalez certainly didn’t have the best day on his own right and TFC looked completely gassed in numerous situations from playing mid week but I hope Singh looks back at this one as an example about how you really have to dig in and play hard for 90 minutes. Felt he took a few plays off and lacked certainty in some situations. Opportunities like the one he has now don’t come up often. Hope he makes the most of it.

Edited by ag futbol

It is striking how perceptions and opinions can change in a few days, Singh looked really solid and mature beyond his years on Wednesday night vs the Mexican Champions, fast forward to yesterday and he certainly struggled at times against a side that some don't think will do very well this season in MLS!

Which is why the hyperbole needed to be tempered after 2 solid matches against Leon. He showed some weakness against fc montreal and he will need to be judged after a solid run of work.  He may be the saviour of the CMNT, or he may never play a minute of international football.  Only time will tell.  At this point I would much rather have James or Henry playing a meaningful game for us without any doubt.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sarcasm or I take it you've made a deliberate choice to forget this?

https://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-men/game-details?matchid=225928

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romell_Quioto

You could even say his speed knocked us out of WCQ.

BTW, the assist on that Quioto goal was provided by another speedy Honduran player, Alberth Elis who played for Houston for several years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberth_Elis

Not sure if that goal comes from Quioto's pace or Doneil Henry's poor marking.

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

WhoScored has Singh as the Man of the Match this week against Vancouver.

The goal was obviously key, but he looked a lot more steady at the back today.

It's all part of the baptism by fire for young players. He has to make the most of these minutes while Mavinga is out. Anyone know if Luke is left or right footed?

HAHAHA, slomar...CLASSIC!!  Part of it is systematic though.  If you play a high line and/or let Lareya and Auro loose on the flanks, your CB's lack of speed is going to get exposed.  As much as I would rather see a young CDN in Zavs roster spot, he isnt a bad option for a 4th CB, ONLY pairing with Mavinga.