Luke Singh

Jith12

I hate to be that guy, but if the stench of homerism in a Voyageur board is too much, go to whatever board you want to and jabber about whatever they are talking about.  The vast majority of us here are CDN fans, fans of CDN players and teams, and we mainly talk about those topics.  Maybe Singh wont turn out to be a MLS level player etc etc but he didnt get beat on every one on one, he didnt let every runner get behind him.  If you are suggesting that than i would suggest you are kidding yourself.  He played very narrow and loose on the wingers, ie didnt close down the crossers.  I wonder if he was told to "stay at home" dont go chasing the winger to the flag pole and let guys get behind him etc. (The way we see Lareya and Buchanan make full time FB look foolish)   And letting the crosses come in was secondary.  

Out of position, but same weaknesses showcased themselves. Out of position often, very slow agility, looks too scared to put a foot in etc. All this have hurt him in the past. TFC were way too quick to sign him. I personally think he's not and will not be a MLS level defender any time soon.

We can use the "kids" excuse all we want and we should give him time etc, but you can literally say that about every kid out there. He's at that age where it's a little easier to evaluate his ceiling and right now... it isn't much imo. If he's slow on the turn at 20, what's it going to be like when he's 30? There's so much to work at that even if he does improve in those areas, the team would've moved on by now and rightfully so.

Really shouldn't get attached to every young player there is. Sometimes you gotta call it like it is and face the music. He ain't going to be that player guys and excuses should really stop being made.

25 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Really shouldn't get attached to every young player there is. Sometimes you gotta call it like it is and face the music. He ain't going to be that player guys and excuses should really stop being made.

This. 

We can support this player and remain somewhat objective at the same time. We do this for most other players but for some reason we are quick to defending this guy in particular. I think it's because we are insecure about our center back pool.

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Colliedor you should explain this to Perez, cause he sent him out there to play out of position instead of moving Slomar/Mavinga out to FB and bringing in Dunn or putting Deleon at FB.  

I would've put Deleon at fb from the very start. Not sure why he did what he did.

AS for Dunn, I would love to see him get a chance since I do rate much more highly than Singh. However, I have no idea what his match fitness is. I'm guessing when Zava comes back we might see him sent to TFC2 to get some matches.

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This. 

We can support this player and remain somewhat objective at the same time. We do this for most other players but for some reason we are quick to defending this guy in particular. I think it's because we are insecure about our center back pool.

I think it’s similar to Norman at Olympic Qualifying. We expected him to be a disaster, and when he wasn’t, people hyped his performances to be more than what they were. I didn’t think Norman looked great in that tournament, and I don’t think Singh has looked great in any match I’ve seen him in, but many people had such low expectations that they were pleasantly surprised by their (mediocre) performances. Then carried over their positive feelings about the player into the future. The opposite can be true about players with high expectations. If they underperform from what you expect, people want them out, even if their poor performances are better than Singh’s (for example) good performances.

51 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I think it’s similar to Norman at Olympic Qualifying. We expected him to be a disaster, and when he wasn’t, people hyped his performances to be more than what they were. I didn’t think Norman looked great in that tournament, and I don’t think Singh has looked great in any match I’ve seen him in, but many people had such low expectations that they were pleasantly surprised by their (mediocre) performances. Then carried over their positive feelings about the player into the future. The opposite can be true about players with high expectations. If they underperform from what you expect, people want them out, even if their poor performances are better than Singh’s (for example) good performances.

I agree on Norman and think your comparison works in Spring, when he unexpectedly broke onto the scene, with a goal no less. That led to some lofty expectations of what he can be for Canada. 

The more reps he gets, the more his weaknesses are exposed. He'll need to work on those if he wants to be a Canadian regular in the future. Right now he's not close unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

With the next game back at BMO does that mean he's right back into quarantine?

Was he actually in Toronto with the team? Would kind of make sense to leave him in the United States and only use him for away games. Inconvenient for the club, but it may be the best way to deal with it for now.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Was he actually in Toronto with the team? Would kind of make sense to leave him in the United States and only use him for away games. Inconvenient for the club, but it may be the best way to deal with it for now.

Pretty sure he posted something about being in quarantine.  Which would imply he came to Canada.

So basically, Deleon will not be match fit and wont be able to practice with the club most of the season??  Mb it would have been better for all involved to trade him to an american team.  Sucks all around..with injuries and INT duty he could have been a useful piece of the puzzle for TFC.  But Lawerence should be back ASAP,,so his window for getting time is already closing.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This actually sounds pretty ideal IMO.  MacNaughton gets to see if he can step up to the next level.  TFC get potential Canadian CB to assess.   Singh leave Toronto where he clearly hadn’t earned the confidence of the managers and gets to play week in week out in the CPL.  And Pacific get a defender who should be able to strut his stuff for them.   

It obviously would have been better if Singh had excelled in MLS but insofar as that didn’t happen this seems like a pretty good scenario.  

Good move for Singh. Should get consistent playing time. I feel he was really hard done by the pandemic.

2020 was supposed to be his year at TFC2, but then the pandemic cancelled that season (and since he had no pro experience at the time, finding a pro team for a loan (ie. CPL) was probably limited, especially with CPL doing short season Island Games). He trained with the first team, but there's no substitute for game minutes. Then 2021 probably should've been his year at TFC2, but injury issues forced him into the first team, often as a sub instead of at TFC2 playing. He got a handful of games at TFC and TFC2, but not a full season's worth. He definitely showed potential, but there were some moments (at both TFC and TFC2) that showed he needs a little bit more seasoning and play time to play through mistakes and grow. Not getting that time at TFC2 has not helped, it's just left him about a year behind schedule in my mind. I feel like if he had gotten the 2020 and first half of 2021 at TFC2 he'd have been a dependable MLS regular for this year. With this loan and consistent play time, he should be ready for an MLS role next season. 

Edited by rydermike

23 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Good move for Singh. Should get consistent playing time. I feel he was really hard done by the pandemic.

2020 was supposed to be his year at TFC2, but then the pandemic cancelled that season. He trained with the first team, but there's no substitute for game minutes. Then 2021 probably should've been his year at TFC2, but injury issues forced him into the first team, often as a sub instead of at TFC2 playing. He got a handful of games at TFC and TFC2, but not a full season's worth. He definitely showed potential, but there were some moments (at both TFC and TFC2) that showed he needs a little bit more seasoning and play time to play through mistakes and grow. Not getting that time at TFC2 has not helped, it's just left him about a year behind schedule in my mind. I feel like if he had gotten the 2020 and first half of 2021 at TFC2 he'd have been a dependable MLS regular for this year. With this loan and consistent play time, he should be ready for an MLS role next season. 

This is the beauty of the CPL now we can see if this kid is the real deal . Moreover, before the CPL for example a kid like this might not have ended up working out for TFC and people would blame TFC . We would hear the usual complaints that TFC was not playing him enough and would rather play Americans and so on . Well now we will have the chance to see what kind of player he really is . If he does well in the CPL and looks the part then yes if and when he goes back to TFC and does not get a good chance then yes people can have valid complaints . However , if he can’t cut it in the CPL then it comes down to what I have always said that sometimes some players are just not good enough and that’s why TFC let’s them go it happens. Yes sometimes TFC gets it wrong prime example Mark Anthony Kay . For Singh’s sake and the national team sake I hope it works out and one day he is a starter on the back line for our national team.

• 2 weeks later...