Luke Singh

Jith12

I forgot about all the hand wringing about Telfer leaving, HAHAHA.   Hell Piette is getting pushed to the end of the bench in the midfield and Tesho had to score a dozen goals in MLS to get back into the picture. 

CB has been a problem for a long time, I dont have any problem with Herdman being cynical and casting a wide net to catch ALL of the young CB's showing ANY promise. That was the case when Kamal got called, its still applicable now.   But it looks like T+T got there first with Singh.  

I think he probably accepted the T&T call up first, then this opportunity with Canada came up and he turned it down.  That’s a good thing because we have a thin CB pool compared to our other positions.

Singh is born and raised in Toronto and plays for Toronto FC.  He has to be looking at the 2026 World Cup and see that he could start at game at home in front of his family and friends.   The 2026 World Cup is a massive draw for Canadian players on the fence.

30 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I have a good feeling about Singh going with Canada in the end. Even if he made a senior appearance for TnT, he would still not be fully capped given the latest FIFA rules.

Yep but he'd then have to wait three years to play for Canada.

I wish Concacaf had the u23 tournament more frequent than it does. (Every 2yrs vs 4-5yrs - like the Euros)

I feel like there’s a need for filling the international gap for players between 19-23. 

For instance, a guy like Singh while 20 now will not be eligible for 2024 Olympics qualifying because he will be too old - 24. Guys like him, Baldisimo, Okello, Dunn, who are good but not ready for senior ball just yet, won’t have another chance to impress on the International stage unless it’s with the senior team.

4 minutes ago, Macksam said:

What?

The rule about being able to switch despite being capped involves the player being below a certain age when they are capped (can't remember exactly the age), having played 3 or fewer games, and there being a 3 year period after their last cap. There is also something about which games instantly cap tie, like I believe the Gold Cup would, and World Cup proper.

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

The rule about being able to switch despite being capped involves the player being below a certain age when they are capped (can't remember exactly the age), having played 3 or fewer games, and there being a 3 year period after their last cap. There is also something about which games instantly cap tie, like I believe the Gold Cup would, and World Cup proper.

FIFA ffs...

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Age 21.

If people really, really want a deep dive into this, FIFA published a commentary on some rules (including this one) earlier this year. 

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/commentary-on-the-rules-governing-eligibility-to-participate-for-representative-.pdf?cloudid=ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi

Relevant section begins on p. 31, the commentary runs from p. 33-43. Fill yer boots.

That really does seem like it should make the decision easier - even if it is just to postpone a final decision. He is a young, athletic guy who has the chance to play some MLS first team footy in a position where we are clearly lacking depth.  It would be crazy for him to prematurely commit to them at this point.  

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is there any paperwork that needs to be done before a first cap? Like, as of today could he still choose to play on Tuesday for either team? Or does he have to get some sort of permission from FIFA?

I believe he has played for T&T at the U20 level in official competition so he needs to file his one-time switch in order to play for Canada.

I did not think that he would play for T&T in the next match as it was going to be a critical game and it wasn't a good time for them to field an untested CB. Given that the result will be meaningless, I wonder if they might give him a cynical cap to at least keep him out of the Canadian setup for the next three years. 

Just now, Norrin Radd said:

I believe he has played for T&T at the U20 level in official competition so he needs to file his one-time switch in order to play for Canada.

I did not think that he would play for T&T in the next match as it was going to be a critical game and it wasn't a good time for them to field an untested CB. Given that the result will be meaningless, I wonder if they might give him a cynical cap to at least keep him out of the Canadian setup for the next three years. 

He has opted to stay with Canada for the Suriname prep and isn’t joining Trinidad. 

@jordan "club careers" :P

Luke Singh when he saw that T & T couldn't get past the Bahamas:

baby GIF

On 6/6/2021 at 2:04 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Except that he’s young and we’re making 2026.  So it’s not really the same boat.

The boat will be similar because of the weight of expectations on this new #CanMNT squad. Mentally, it will likely be tougher to deal with.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille