Luke Singh

Jith12

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

His passing percentage was 59%. The rest of the defence was in the 80's. We also already know one of his passes caused a goal. Don't think this is the game to praise his passing ability.

So it’s interesting cause of you look at the MLS stats or whoscored, that’s what it says. But if you look at some of the other sites that break things down further, it’s about 10 percent higher and the pass total attempted passes is only 13. Which to me, feels about right. He didn’t make a whole lot of attempts but when he did, it didn’t seem all that bad.

I do wonder if some of those pass attempts are really just clearances in panic situations, stripped out in the other data.

https://fbref.com/en/matches/bf30c790/New-England-Revolution-Toronto-FC-July-7-2021-Major-League-Soccer

Edited by ag futbol

Hmmmm, I was watching the first bit of the Atlanta/Nashville game just now.  2 goals so far, defender out muscled on a free kick for a free header, and on the second the defender lost his man for a free header on a corner.  Interesting.............

• 2 weeks later...

Singh getting the start (out of nowhere) at LB tonight.  He has had a rough time because he looks like a CB who’s out of position playing LB.  He naturally just drifts inside too much and leaves a lot of space for the repeated crosses.

I know TFC is shorts staffed but it’s clear that Singh is a natural CB and not a LB.  

That being said Omar Gonzalez is SO painfully slow out there that I’d like to see him subbed out and Singh moved back inside for the 2nd half.

He was much much better in the 2nd half after Toronto moved to a 4-4-1-1.

He was playing through that hamstring problem for about 20 minutes until he finally couldn’t continue.

I hope it was just a cramp but he looked like he was in a fair bit of pain when he came off and you never love it when a player rolls off the pitch for the substitution because he can’t walk off.  I hope it’s not a real injury.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

The pass was a beauty. Agree he looked lost and caught out at times. Confident on the ball even if he is a bit too confident when he should play safer. Still, he didn't disgrace himself.

I actually think he pretty much disgraced himself. It’s tough to blame him too much - young guy out of position. But he was a step slow the entire night and couldn’t deal with any Chicago attacks. They went right Singh continually and probably should have scored 3+ times 

Wasnt Morrow injured in warmup?  So the coach tells him in no certain terms, he isnt getting into any games, then he throws Singh into LB after the warm up..and he is supposed to play well??  He prob got a 5min crash course on what the coach wanted him to do and then he was into the deep end.  It looked like he played narrow and loose on every winger and prob he was told not to let anyone get around him.  It was rough, but at least it was against Chicago and not a good team eh??  Tough break for Morrow, I thought he played pretty good last game. But nice break for Singh and way to get on the field.  Isnt this how Miller got shoe horned into LB at Orlando??  

7 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Does anyone else think he looked injured long before he started going down?  He either has an odd running style or he was limping for a good chunk of the second half.

He was clearly injured for about 15 mins with that hamstring before he was out.

sorry in advance but im gonna be a downer here because i feel like some of you are just trying to kid yourself about singh. yes he's out of position but he didn't do one good defensive play. lb or not you can't get beat on every 1v1, you can't just let every cross get by, you can't just let every runner get behind you. its just basic defensive stuff. He's just as slow as slomar.

He's looked out of place in just about every mls match he's played so far and if you watch him for TFC II it's the same story there. Can't track runners, loses just about every 1v1 battle as well. He has to grow A LOT to make it at this level. I'm not exactly the biggest Dunn fan as well but i think it's time to give him some minutes over Singh until he can prove he's a capable defender in usl-1 first.

Didn't watch the game but I get the impression he struggled, which isn't a surprise. I think CanadaSantos is right. The stench of homerism coming from this thread is a bit much.

Fwiw, I now see the goal app gave him a 2.6, lower than Slomar and tied with Delgado for worst on the team. 

Hope he continues to get chances. 

It seems like the majority of us have been critical of Singh, so don’t see much homerism going on here.  I also would like to see Dunn get a shot, as I kind of see Singh as the kid who always got the look because he was bigger and could physically dominate everyone else at youth level.  He does seem very slow and lacks instincts (defensive and offensive) at this level. 

But I’m not sure how anyone could be upset that we’d like to see our young Canadians get a chance over Gonzalez who makes horrendous mistake after mistake every game and doesn’t seem to put in much effort either (whether it be getting back into the play after getting beaten, or winning headers on balls put into the box).  

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Didn't watch the game but I get the impression he struggled, which isn't a surprise. I think CanadaSantos is right. The stench of homerism coming from this thread is a bit much.

Fwiw, I now see the goal app gave him a 2.6, lower than Slomar and tied with Delgado for worst on the team. 

Hope he continues to get chances. 

As someone who said that "he struggled mightily" playing left fullback, I think some of the comments in this thread have been overly harsh rather than suffering from homerism. I think the suggestion that he "disgraced himself" when he is a rookie playing out of position (and one that he doesn't have the physical characteristics for), is a bit much. I'm sure if Pozuelo was played as a centre-back and Soteldo as a defensive midfielder they might also have struggled in those positions and frankly, those theoretical examples are not too far off playing a CB without great pace as a left back, particularly when the inexperience factor is added into the mix. Added to this, it was his pass that set up the game-winning goal (not bad for a player disgracing himself by playing out of position). In fact I would say that is the sort of thing, and not the crap the Opta counts, that should count as a "key pass" since he didn't get an assist on it.

Speaking of which, let me criticize the statisticians further as they credited Endoh with an assist on Soteldo's goal even though it was obvious that he miscontrolled the ball and wasn't trying to pass it to Soteldo at all, whereas Priso didn't get the 2nd assist despite the pin-point accurate key pass which put the ball right on Endoh's foot. Proof once again, along with this "the US outchanced Canada because Xg was somehow judged to be higher" that a lot of the time these statisticians are full of mongoose manure when it comes handing these stats out. Watching the games and getting the full context is so much more reliable.

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wasnt Morrow injured in warmup?  So the coach tells him in no certain terms, he isnt getting into any games, then he throws Singh into LB after the warm up..and he is supposed to play well??    

When did the coach tell him that?

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Added to this, it was his pass that set up the game-winning goal (not bad for a player disgracing himself by playing out of position). In fact I would say that is the sort of thing, and not the crap the Opta counts, that should count as a "key pass" since he didn't get an assist on it.

Speaking of which, let me criticize the statisticians further as they credited Endoh with an assist on Soteldo's goal even though it was obvious that he miscontrolled the ball and wasn't trying to pass it to Soteldo at all, whereas Priso didn't get the 2nd assist despite the pin-point accurate key pass which put the ball right on Endoh's foot. Proof once again, along with this "the US outchanced Canada because Xg was somehow judged to be higher" that a lot of the time these statisticians are full of mongoose manure when it comes handing these stats out. Watching the games and getting the full context is so much more reliable.

I think your gripe seems to be with the actual term "key pass" instead of what it stands for. If they called it "pass that led to a shot that was saved" would you have an issue with it?

As for the second bolded part, the statisticians — by definition — watch the games. Anyone who only looks at stats and decides how games went based solely on that is a fool, but even statisticians don't advocate for that.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

As someone who said that "he struggled mightily" playing left fullback, I think some of the comments in this thread have been overly harsh rather than suffering from homerism. I think the suggestion that he "disgraced himself" when he is a rookie playing out of position (and one that he doesn't have the physical characteristics for), is a bit much. I'm sure if Pozuelo was played as a centre-back and Soteldo as a defensive midfielder they might also have struggled in those positions and frankly, those theoretical examples are not too far off playing a CB without great pace as a left back, particularly when the inexperience factor is added into the mix. Added to this, it was his pass that set up the game-winning goal (not bad for a player disgracing himself by playing out of position). In fact I would say that is the sort of thing, and not the crap the Opta counts, that should count as a "key pass" since he didn't get an assist on it.

Fair enough. Maybe I was being a bit harsh. My impression is still that we defend him a little more than other players because he is a young Canadian centerback, a position we need help in. There are many players who are capable of playing full back and center back, take kamal miller for instance, so your examples of pozuelo and solteldo are a tad extreme. Your point stands though, unfortunately, because for singh playing left back was not something he thrived at yesterday and the reason is because he was out of position. Despite the rough game he did get the chance over others, so the coaches see something.

1 hour ago, RS said:

I think your gripe seems to be with the actual term "key pass" instead of what it stands for. If they called it "pass that led to a shot that was saved" would you have an issue with it?

As for the second bolded part, the statisticians — by definition — watch the games. Anyone who only looks at stats and decides how games went based solely on that is a fool, but even statisticians don't advocate for that.

Regarding the key pass definition, yes it would be fairer if they called it a "pass that led to a shot that was saved", but I imagine they don't call it that because people would be wondering why you'd even bother to not only tabulate that stat but use it to bolster some sort of argument about or assessment of a player. A pass which unlocks (no pun intended) the defense on the build up to a goal is more significant for me (presumably Priso didn't get credited with a key pass on the first TFC goal, although the stats show he did get credited with a key pass, so I guess he must have set someone else up for a shot that was saved). Why is is "shot that is saved" by the way - why does whether or not the guy shooting has a shit shot or not affect a statistic that is presumably meant to judge how good a passer another player is? Shouldn't it at least be a "shot at goal" if its a metric that's designed to indicate setting up of scoring chances?

As for the statisticians, they might technically watch the games, but many don't seem to understand the game, or maybe they just have some atrocious guidelines for what counts for these stats. For me, an assist should be a situation where a player intends to pass or move the ball to the teammate who scores, it's quite obvious to anyone watching the game that Endoh didn't intend to pass the ball to Soteldo (if he had, he wouldn't have been chasing the ball himself from his overhit first touch). If you are going to give him an assist for that, then surely Priso should be awarded with one on the play too.

I believe there is a story out there that Perez told the youth guys they weren't going to play.

The last Saturday home games he didn't even have Perruzza and Okello warming up with the subs. Which must be pretty demoralizing 

1 hour ago, RS said:

When did the coach tell him that?

I think it was in the post game talk after last game when they didnt use all the subs they could have.  It was in the TFC thread.  Its easy to miss this stuff with a game every 3 days, HAHA.  

“be ready but the chances that the players are going to have coming off the bench are going to be limited”.