Luke Singh

Jith12

Now that he is unofficially another international, maybe Toronto FC will start playing him a bit more.  

Jokes aside, its tough losing a young player for a position that we need the most help.  However, right now he is still quite unproven.  Despite what some people might say on this forum, he currently is not going to feature much for Canada unless it is our C squad.  It's the possibility that he may become a quality MLS center back in the future that bothers me but not too heartbroken.  Personally, I am now all in favour of giving Dunn the minutes this year over Singh.  I've always rated Dunn higher anyways.

Best of luck to him with T&T as well.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

Now that he is unofficially another international, maybe Toronto FC will start playing him a bit more.  

Jokes aside, its tough losing a young player for a position that we need the most help.  However, right now he is still quite unproven.  Despite what some people might say on this forum, he currently is not going to feature much for Canada unless it is our C squad.  It's the possibility that he may become a quality MLS center back in the future that bothers me but not too heartbroken.  Personally, I am now all in favour of giving Dunn the minutes this year over Singh.  I've always rated Dunn higher anyways.

Best of luck to him with T&T as well.

I said it in the other thread...but he's not officially gone. 

He's 20, and has zero caps. He need's to play in both games, and the GC qualifier to be gone officially.

I also don't know how you could rate someone higher if you never seen them play. If were going based on play, Singh has played at higher levels than Dunn. 

But I hear ya, I'm hoping Dunn is the stud he was for Valour.

Did we not call Kamal Miller into a CNL camp after only playing a couple games for Orlando??  Why couldnt we call Singh to the B/C squad going to the Gold cup??  If I was herdman I would dangle that out there, tail end of the roster sure, but a game in GC ties him to us eh??  I'd hate to see a CB get away and then blossom.  Telfer, the Baldisimo brother, sure some get away at positions we are deeper at, but a CB.....I would think long and hard about letting Singh go to T+T without a fight.  

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

I said it in the other thread...but he's not officially gone. 

He's 20, and has zero caps. He need's to play in both games, and the GC qualifier to be gone officially.

I also don't know how you could rate someone higher if you never seen them play. If were going based on play, Singh has played at higher levels than Dunn. 

But I hear ya, I'm hoping Dunn is the stud he was for Valour.

I know he is not officially gone, it just feels like he is.  I would love for him to reconsider and switch to Canada for added depth to our program, I just don't see it happening.  I have seen Dunn play and a lot more than I have seen Singh play, albeit at a slightly lower level.  Reality is that Singh likely never signs the short term contract if Dunn was healthy because I am sure they would have went with Dunn.  Singh took his opportunity and good for him.  We can now also thank both Dunn & Toronto FC for showcasing Singh to the T&T national team 😀

This is now a watchpoint for us @Shway as we can check back to this thread in 10 years!  🤣

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Did we not call Kamal Miller into a CNL camp after only playing a couple games for Orlando??  Why couldnt we call Singh to the B/C squad going to the Gold cup??  If I was herdman I would dangle that out there, tail end of the roster sure, but a game in GC ties him to us eh??  I'd hate to see a CB get away and then blossom.  Telfer, the Baldisimo brother, sure some get away at positions we are deeper at, but a CB.....I would think long and hard about letting Singh go to T+T without a fight.  

I agree, I believe he would be included in or borderline included in our Gold Cup squad this summer but perhaps he is thinking long term in his decision.  Do I take the offer from Canada and feature in a few matches this summer and then never get called for the meaningful games in the future.  He is probably a camp poutine regular for Canada but in reality, I don't seem him playing a large part for Canada long term.  It is a little worrying that given how young he is and how center backs develop later in their careers that perhaps he will develop into a quality professional.  Again, I may be wrong but one thing for sure is that he will likely be more of a regular with T&T program.

Why would anyone on a Canadian soccer fan board wish this guy luck? We have let a 20 year old CB that has played decently at MLS level get away. If anything people should be upset about this. Now everytime he plays for TFC he is blocking one of our young CBs like Romeo, Dunn, etc.. 

I agree that having Telfer play international helps the CPL profile, but he is also 27 and likely reached his peak career wise. 

A 20 year CB who spent a couple years training with the Danish champions and has got a couple starts at MLS is almost unheard of for a Canadian. Who knows where he will end up, but really sucks to lose him at this point.

If a 20yr old CB who just got his first start with his hometown club in MLS answers the call from TNT for WCQ it must mean he really wants to rep them. He knows we are razor thin at CB and if he can win a starting position with TFC or even get regular mins he would be called to the CMNT.  Most of his age group at TFC are Cdn youth players....so why not wait a few years..it's not like TNT are going to make the Ocho this year.

31 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If a 20yr old CB who just got his first start with his hometown club in MLS answers the call from TNT for WCQ it must mean he really wants to rep them. He knows we are razor thin at CB and if he can win a starting position with TFC or even get regular mins he would be called to the CMNT.  Most of his age group at TFC are Cdn youth players....so why not wait a few years..it's not like TNT are going to make the Ocho this year.

That is the part I find surprising- that he would make a commitment this early in the process. I have to assume that he feels more T&T than Canadian.  Otherwise it is a pretty baffling decision for a team that isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  Then again, maybe he sees it as a way to leverage better pro opportunities.  And for a guy really trying to lock something down from a career perspective that could make sense.  

I think you also have to consider (maybe I'm wrong on this) that he's about to turn 21 and he hasn't ever featured in a Canadian camp. In fact we just had an Olympic which would have been perfect and it seems Canada wasn't interested. So you've got older players a head of him, maybe at least 6 or 7. You've got players his own age Canada values more. Possibly some dual nationals out there that maybe crop up. And you've got younger players that the CSA likely have high hopes for. So if your him your looking at the situation and you're like 12th on the depth chart, if that. Why not go play, get experience, have some fun with T&T

Edited by SpursFlu

53 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think you also have to consider (maybe I'm wrong on this) that he's about to turn 21 and he hasn't ever featured in a Canadian camp. In fact we just had an Olympic which would have been perfect and it seems Canada wasn't interested. So you've got older players a head of him, maybe at least 6 or 7. You've got players his own age Canada values more. Possibly some dual nationals out there that maybe crop up. And you've got younger players that the CSA likely have high hopes for. So if your him your looking at the situation and you're like 12th on the depth chart, if that. Why not go play, get experience, have some fun with T&T

You realize TFC didn't send anyone due to a COVID outbreak right?

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I wouldn't write TNT off yet for the Ocho. They will almost certainly easily beat Bahamas in their first game this window, then they just need to beat Saint Kitts, which is definitely possible. That would win them the group, despite their draw with Puerto Rico earlier. Then they just have to beat the Group A winner which at the moment the leader is Antigua, who also is beatable. It could also be El Salvador who keeps getting troubled by Montserrat. TNT has a very realistic shot at getting to the Octagonal, in my opinion, even if their results in Nations League and the Gold Cup haven't been good.

I am not upset over Singh. He has a chance to play in a WCQ, good for him. He's not cap tied and it will be a good experience for him. I don't love it or anything, but he wasn't getting into our senior team anytime soon.

He doesn't have any specific qualities that give me a sense of regret. He's not particularly fast or strong or good in the air. He's just decent, which is good for a 20 year old playing in MLS, but we need more than decent at this position for the national team.

@Bison44 brought up Miller as a player who was selected for the senior team at a similar age with a similar amount of MLS first team experience (barely any), but the difference is that Miller is a better defender. He's more versatile player as well. He broke into the Orlando team on merit and as a foreign player (which is harder to do), while Singh was the benefactor of an injury crisis and was an emergency signing and fair play to him for scoring and being relatively decent, but it's not like he's been able to replace Gonzalez or Mavinga, so we're not losing a Tomori level of talent here.

Some doubt he's even better than Dunn, who is nowhere near our first team, so we aren't losing a player who could have made us better in the here and now. 

Edited by Obinna

While I agree with a lot your saying @Obinna....however him displacing Slomar is not his fault, same with Priso not displacing Bradley. It’s the coaches decision, we don’t know the possibilities of how good he could be with Mavinga.

Again he’s only 20, and for a CB that’s baby years...from the sample size of games that he’s got he’s been really good imo. 

You can’t compare him as a loss like Tomori because he would be easily our best defender. To me all of our CBS are on the same level, just minimal differences ....with games and opportunities Singh could be part of that. In a few years, let’s hope he’s not good and part of T&T or he’s switched and is really good. 

Last thing, we aren’t at liberty to be giving CBS away without a look. Tefler, we both were advocating to see him...but in hindsight there’s really no place for him with all the attacking talent that has emerged. It’s obviously not the same for our CBS.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, for me it isn’t about losing him given where he is now.  It is about losing him not knowing where he could be in 4 or 5 years.  Come 2026, he may have matured into an excellent CB.  

He may not develop that way though, which is why I am choosing a "meh" attitude towards this. I may come to feel a sense of regret, but at this time, I don't.

I would feel worse if we lost Priso to Cameroon, even though we also have no guarantee he matures well, but I guess the difference is that I don't rate Singh. I rate Priso highly.

Singh getting beaten for pace that time against Quioto was very disappointing. I know it was only one play, but it was very disappointing defending. He could have dragged him down or tried to muscle him off the ball somehow, but there was no fight in that sequence and it truly looked like a man against a boy. No way a 20 year old Miller let's that happen, for example.

He may have came up with a goal and generally decent play, but for me the jury is out on how good he is now with the regulars back and him back on the bench. Although I agree with you and @Shway in part, and obviously I don't like that we lost him (temporarily), but it's just really hard for me to be too disappointed knowing we have Dunn, Rocco and others who are probably around the same level as Singh.