Jonathan David

Vince193

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/football-talk-nainggolan-bekert-verder-met-cagliari-moeder-jonathan-david-overleden-gent-is-goudhaantje-even-kwijt-everton-ontslaat-coach~ac94786d/?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F 

This source seems to confirm the earlier post. Absolutely devastated for him and his family.

"AA Gent had to miss two fixed base pawns in Charleroi. Jonathan David received the terrible news that his mother had died and immediately traveled to his family in Canada. "I don't know when Jonathan will be back," Jess Thorup said at the press conference after the game"

That's tragic and devwstating news, my thoughts with him and his family. 

Not sure he will ever read this and I don't know his mom, but I'm confident she must have always been incredibly proud of him and the young man he is becoming. 

Just know that every single V will always have your back. 

Have learned that the services for his mom are Saturday if anyone wishes to send condolences to JD and his family directly or if a V’s admin can or will coordinate something here is the reception location below.

Kelly Funeral Home
2370 Boulevard St Joseph
Orleans, Ontario 
K1C1G1

Edited by soccer.shocker

Transfermarkt bumped up David's value to 20M Euros.

Gent's made the knockout round of Europa League so if David continues to impress on the larger stage, it can only enhance his value.

There's some worry on the Gent forum that David might leave during the winter transfer window but unless there's an offer that blows them away, for both David and the team, there are a lot of reasons to play out the season and then leave in the summer.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Gent's made the knockout round of Europa League so if David continues to impress on the larger stage, it can only enhance his value.

There's some worry on the Gent forum that David might leave during the winter transfer window but unless there's an offer that blows them away, for both David and the team, there are a lot of reasons to play out the season and then leave in the summer.

I would be absolutely floored if he moved in January.  I already would have been surprised but with his mother's passing there's just no way he's mentally ready to move to a new club/country in January.  He'll be at Gent in the knockout rounds and surrounded by people who has built relationships with over the past 2 years - I think that's an ideal spot for him for now from a personal and professional perspective.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

He now has the greatest value of any Canadian player.

Davies in second for the time being, but I imagine it won't be long before that gets adjusted with his Bayern performances being so good.

2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Berge, who is currently the highest valued player in Belhiumbis rumored to go to England for about 20M Euros, this would leave David as the highest valued player in the league. I could see someone buying him and loaning him back to Gent for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Berge, who is currently the highest valued player in Belhiumbis rumored to go to England for about 20M Euros, this would leave David as the highest valued player in the league. I could see someone buying him and loaning him back to Gent for the rest of the season.

Isn't that the Club Brugge player who is rumored to be going to Liverpool? If so can we expect similar rumors about David soon? We have already seen him linked to clubs like Dortmund, Ajax, Porto, Benfica, etc. Would it be surprising to hear of interest from the tippy top of European club football? 

Leicester City are not an elite club, but if we are talking England it might make sense. David could play behind Vardy and Iheanacho in the James Maddison role, as the England international may sooner or later jump up a level. David could also pair up with either Vardy or Iheanacho.

The foxes have spent +£20M on players before and I think the spent around there on Kelechi when they plucked him from Man City. Furthermore, they brought Ndidi from Genk, so they have shopped in Belgium before. 

They are currently in second and are on track for Champions League play next season. Brendan Rogers is clearly an elite manager. No adjustment to be made for David as the working language is English and the squad is not so deep that he wouldn't get minutes.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Isn't that the Club Brugge player who is rumored to be going to Liverpool? If so can we expect similar rumors about David soon? We have already seen him linked to clubs like Dortmund, Ajax, Porto, Benfica, etc. Would it be surprising to hear of interest from the tippy top of European club football? 

Leicester City are not an elite club, but if we are talking England it might make sense. David could play behind Vardy and Iheanacho in the James Maddison role, as the England international may sooner or later jump up a level. David could also pair up with either Vardy or Iheanacho.

The foxes have spent +£20M on players before and I think the spent around there on Kelechi when they plucked him from Man City. Furthermore, they brought Ndidi from Genk, so they have shopped in Belgium before. 

They are currently in second and are on track for Champions League play next season. Brendan Rogers is clearly an elite manager. No adjustment to be made for David as the working language is English and the squad is not so deep that he wouldn't get minutes.

I don't think any credible journalist working the Liverpool FC patch has floated any such rumours. Liverpool have just done a deal for a versatile attacker from RB Salzburg, though.

As for David, I definitely don't think he should leave Gent in January. I'm not even convinced he should leave in the summer. He's only 19 with a long career ahead of him. If Gent qualifies for Europe again next year, there's no harm in him staying on for another season to see if he can become the dominant attacking player in that league.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

As a Foxes fan this would be a dream scenario, Jonathan playing for Leicester would be amazing!

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

• 3 weeks later...

Named in UEFA's "Fifty for the future" earlier today.

Jonathan David (CAN, 19 – Gent)
Scored 11 goals in his first 12 games for Canada, and has impressed in Belgium too; has scored 20+ for Gent, plus two in this season's UEFA Europa League group stage.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2637114.html

Decent company there. 

Really hopes that come one of these transfer windows or next year, he makes the next move in his career as a professional footballer!!!!!.... Great to see, he is starting to get some recognition by world fútbol experts!!!!

Would cherish to have him move to the Bundesliga, particularly over to Dortmund and be involved in the Der Klassiker in the future and have Davies on the other side (2 Canadians in one of the biggest  fútbol derbies in the world is something to fantasize about ,lol)

Better yet, from my own personal preference would love it if Bayern came into the fold and snatches him and having the 2 best promises in our national team , team up & play alongside each other in one of the biggest clubs in the world sure is something many in here would dream about!!!!... Not too mention the benefits for the national team as they develop chemistry on the attack (pending he breaks into Bayern attack, of course) That may be a whole other story.... Bayern looks pretty solid in attack now, despite an aging Lewandowski.. Not to mention some of the exposure that will bring to the CANMNT + Canada as a fútbol nation if this were to happen (pending Davies keeps on performing the way he has & David wins a spot on the 11 & impresses as well).... Doesn't hurt to dream/think big in the future of our most highly-rated lads,lol

#IWANNAGOTOQATAR , LMFAO  😉

Impact & Toronto FC????? ..... that is like 543 km, not too far off from 600 km in that respect!!!!... And yet, if you go to the MLS site any time they are about to play, everyone in there defines it AS A DERBY!!!!!

So my guessing is that you define as derby a match involving 2 teams that are from within the same city or city circles!!!!

Calm down!

5 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Impact & Toronto FC????? ..... that is like 543 km, not too far off from 600 km in that respect!!!!... And yet, if you go to the MLS site any time they are about to play, everyone in there defines it AS A DERBY!!!!!

So my guessing is that you define as derby a match involving 2 teams that are from within the same city or city circles!!!!

Calm down!

Difference is there is an existing rivalry in between the two cities of Montreal and Toronto while Dortmund vs Bayern is just a rivalry created by the media there.

7 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Calm down!

lol of course the MLS site will say its a derby in an attempt to hype it up... just like they continue to erroneously refer to their franchises as "clubs", and keep boasting about glorified friendlies such as the "campeones cup" and that other thing not worth remembering nor looking up that they are now doing with Liga MX

15 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Calm down!

At least half of the current Bundesliga are geographically closer to Munich than Dortmund. By your reckoning, Bayern play a derby every, single week.

Bayern's actual derby is against 1860, or, perhaps, Augsburg. Dortmund's major derby is against Schalke. When Bayern and Dortmund play, it's just a high-profile match.