Jonathan David

Vince193

It was around this time last year he had a bit of a goal scoring dip, wasn't it? He didn't stay off the scoresheet for long back then, so it's only a matter of time before he finds the goal once again. Hope he scores at least 1 more before our big match.

Edited by Obinna

Here's an article on David ahead of today's Euro League game against Wolfsburg, translated from Flemish.

The little star in the Ghent diamond
200 hours per hour, but always icy calm
Eat, train, sleap, repeat. And an occasional game on the PlayStation. Nineteen years, but you ca n't expect a lot of excesses from Jonathan David . For AA Gent's top talent there is only one way to the top: the professional. Just before the meeting with Wolfsburg - his thirtieth official party of the season - the attacker sets himself up for the story of his life.
GUILLAUME MAEBE

A real estate agent story to start with. A few years ago, the undersigned received a call from Canada. "If you can tell me something about the way AA Gent works," the voice asked. "A player of mine is going to get started." We gave our opinion, answered questions about the possible flow to the A-team and told which people were in control. "Okay, thank you," it sounded.
New phone call a few months later. “Whether you can pay some attention to my player in an article? He is doing well. ”In a first phase, attention is everything for a player who wants to break through. As well as for a broker who is on the edge of a first large, intercontinental deal. We kindly thanked. If player x did well, then that would soon become clear. In this case: very quickly. That teenager with no noble letters from today is now the teenager with the greatest market value of the Ghent team of today: Jonathan David , who, together with Odjidja, Kums and Owusu, populates the now famous Ghent diamond in midfield.
The attacker is only nineteen, but his journey has been extremely long and hectic. A move from Haiti to Canada, test periods in Europe, a solidly built hotel life as a Canadian youth international: that's all. "I knew very early on that I was doing everything I could to become a professional football player," says David . "In Europe. There are the best players, the best clubs, the best competitions. ”As a teenager, there were some tests, including at RB Salzburg and Stuttgart, but they did not have a positive outcome. "My first time in Europe, the language I did not know, maybe some quality I then missed: these were some of the reasons why it went wrong."
"Sleep is my hobby. If I get the chance, I'll do it. It doesn't matter when ”
So it eventually became AA Ghent. A team where he already ended up at the end of 2016, but where he also had to wait until January 2018 before he got a contract. “We had a verbal agreement for a long time, but I also had to go back to Canada to finish my studies. It was an uncertain period. I had to constantly show that I was a promising player so that the club would keep its verbal promise. And she did. Look, it all went so fast. If you asked me if I would have thought five years ago that I would be at this level at the age of nineteen, I might have answered no. ”
One and a half week's recovery
It's an understatement in David 's life, that word 'fast'. As a soccer player, he currently lives at two hundred an hour. Including the American Gold Cup - where he reached the quarter-finals with Canada last summer - the attacker is normally playing his thirtieth match of the season tonight in Wolfsburg. November 7th. In a team where he is by default one of the top players who cover the most kilometers per match, that too.
"From a penalty, I know 100 percent in advance that it will go in"
"Do you know what is the hardest part? Those time differences with the national team. When I leave for Canada I quickly adjust again, but when I return to Belgium I often need a week and a half before I am back in my rhythm. My legs are tired then, my mind is tired then, I am just tired. "David has one real hobby. "To sleep. If I get the chance, I'll do it. Does not matter when. And I also try to do everything in my power for those competition days. Undergo many massages, take lots of ice baths: things like that. As a teenager, I sometimes had a period in which I took a less serious approach and, for example, didn't pay attention to what I ate, but that didn't last very long. And luckily the club does it smart with me, so that I can stay as fresh as possible. As the season progresses, that becomes more important and more important. ”
Like last weekend in the top match against Standard. Davidstarted on the couch, but turned out to be the game changer when he was introduced just after the hour. His speed, his sense of space, but especially the calm that he showed when he was allowed to take a penalty five minutes before time, made the difference.
Also in the eyes of coach Jess Thorup, who sees his mental strength as the greatest quality even more than his technical skills. “Ah, did he say that? Then we will see the same things. After all, I also see my calmness as my greatest strength. It helps me. On and next to the field. Such a penalty, for example: I know in advance that it will certainly go in 100 percent. Not because it will be, but because - if you think so - it cannot go wrong. ”The Iceman: how appropriate can a nickname actually be?
Daviddoes it all without grumbling, walking through his life with us. "What must, must," it sounds. And whether he talks about stealing idols - he sometimes picks up things from the Neymar, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo trio - about his development as a footballer - “I recently learned how to use a defender who briefly covers me as reference point to find the free corners in the goal "- or the fact that he is struggling with a refurbishment just like AA Gent -" I have not yet scored on the move. And then? ”- it is time and again that calmness dominates. Calmness of a player who is not awakened by the ever-increasing price tag around his neck and who does not yet realize how important this season with his eleven goals and six assists he has already been for the Buffalos.
“Whether I am a star? I don't know, no. Not in Canada either. I have always remained under the radar there and never played for a professional club (Ottawa ISC was the only passage in David's own country , ed.). I'm just one of the boys. People in Haiti know me better, I think. My parents are Haitian, I lived there until I was six and I would have been allowed to come out for the country if they hadn't contacted me until after my debut with Canada. In our family we also live the Haitian way. How does that work out? We are religious. And the food, of course. Here in Ghent I have not found a store or restaurant that serves good Haitian food. But maybe I haven't searched well enough. "
A smile. It would be the first and only time during the interview. The Iceman will not show it quickly, but it is a fact at the moment: he's living the dream. AA Ghent, feel free to dream along.

Edited by Snowcrash

One more article on David:

I do nothing but sleep "
JONATHAN DAVID NO ONE IN EUROPE PLAYED MORE COMPETITIONS
He is barely 19, but no one from the big leagues has played more games than Jonathan David since June . That feels good, but AA Gent's golden rooster does everything to it to stay fresh
RUDY NUYENS

Since the Gold Cup, which he disputed with Canada in June, Jonathan David has played 30 official games, not necessarily because he also had to cover at least 12,000 kilometers and an associated jet lag for his international matches with Canada. wonders how the hell he can stay fresh. "I do nothing but sleep," laughs Jonathan David. "Playing, traveling, playing ... It is very tiring. If I have the chance, I will sleep in the afternoon, before I continue with my day. They are long flights, your legs and your head will get tired of that. But the jetlags are the most difficult. When I go to Canada, I need two to three days to get into the rhythm. When I come back, I need a week to a week and a half to get back to my normal sleeping habits. "

And in that time David played at least two more games with Ghent. "It's a matter of getting enough sleep to be fresh for the matches." David still seemedto pay a toll, because in October he didn't score once and garbage got into his game. "That's right," he agrees. "My legs in particular didn't feel as fresh as in the beginning. But I have to learn to cope with it, because this is the life of a professional football player. I do everything to be ready: massages, cold baths, good sleep. Sometimes I have it is difficult, but I just have to accept that, get on the field and do my best. "

Number 10
His efforts have only increased since Jess Thorup moved him from rush to midfield, as number 10. "It's the position where I played the most in my young career. And the more you do something, the more you I can handle other positions too, but you can say that I am at my best, of course you have to work harder as a midfielder than as a striker, but I find that no disadvantage. is good, I can handle a lot of running gear. "

Jonathan Davidis always one of the players who make the most race kilometers at AA Gent. "I do that without even thinking about it. On the other hand, I have a lot of freedom in possession of the ball. I always have options A, B and C. That freedom allows me to be creative, to score goals or to tackle them. The defenders are usually focused on our two strikers, then it comes down to me to find and use the free space. Space and good timing always give you an advantage. "

With all the beauty that Davidshows, we sometimes forget that he is only 19 years old. Does he never fear getting burned out or injured? "No", it sounds quiet. "An injury can always occur. But the coach keeps a good eye on me, he feels when he has to leave me for a moment. That is why he also gave me rest before the match against Standard. I was not happy, angry or whatever. It was a logical decision that I must accept. "

Gamechanger
But he still had to save the furniture with a raid. Thorup called him the "game changer," which killed Standard with his gears. "I was always fast. When I was 12 or 13 years old, my coach told me to shake opponents with my gears. (Laughs) I don't want an approaching opponent to take the ball away from me, so I speed up. I do it almost unconsciously, it is natural. " A quality that AA Gent will be able to use tonight against Wolfsburg.

"I still drive the club's Hyundai"
"My calmness," says Jonathan Davidif we ask him about his greatest quality. That saves the Canadian in life and work. "My calmness is more important than any technical quality. If it doesn't work in a match, if the ball doesn't come, if an action fails ... I always stay calm, so that I am completely focused on the next action. Like last Sunday , with that penalty. It was 1-1, we had just received that red card and there wasn't much time left, but I felt very calm. I was sure that ball would go in. "

After the Canadian national coach had him under his care a few times, he renamed David "The Iceman." "I think it's a nice nickname because it reflects who I am. I like it."

An international broker told us he value Davidalready between 25 and 30 million treasures. "That is a lot of money. I have no impact on that myself, I can only say:" If they value that as my value, then that is what I am. " But I remain an ordinary boy. "

At the age of nineteen, David was one of the best earners at AA Gent. "I have no problem with that at all. I am a modest boy by nature. I am not going to walk next to my shoes. I told you: I always stay calm. That also applies next to the field. What I do with my money "I give something to my parents and my family, I save a lot. Sometimes I spend something on clothes or food. Nothing too crazy."

He is not interested in flashy cars or other bling bling. "I don't know much about cars, you can't say I'm a big car guy. I still drive the club's Hyundai Kona, which is a very good car. I actually still live like a couple of years ago. Nothing has changed either. You cannot allow money and fame to change who you are, because that can never be good. (grins) Stay calm, that is my nature. " (RN)

"My future? Playing at a club with possession"
Jonathan Davidrecently signed a contract until 2023, but given the interest of large clubs, it could well be that he is working on his last season with the Buffalos. "I don't know yet. I'm not thinking," This is my last year. " I focus on what I do in the field and leave the rest to my manager and the club. " AA Gent has already withdrawn offers, including FC Porto. Like Davidthe club will be more important than the competition. "I don't have one country or one particular competition in mind," he says. "Much more important is which project a club wants to engage with you. If I were to leave, it would have to be to play and make further progress. I like to play football, I like to hit the ball often. Then you have to go to a club that has a lot of possession who wants to play football. Like Ghent, a team that builds up and doesn't work with long balls that you have to run after. The ball is the best thing there is. " (RN)

Jonathan "THE ICEMAN" David - love it. 

Big credit to Canada for making him feel welcomed and bringing him on board so early. 

Might have been a very difficult decision for him between Haiti and Canada had the recruitment happened at the same time. 

I know he loves playing for Canada, so I'm glad it worked out the way it has.

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So David and Gent were up to the task with a 3-1 away win. Good audition forJD vs a Bundesliga team

Weird game. Gent could barely touch the ball in the first half, but only trailed by one at halftime. Second half was completely opposite, with Gent dominating and getting three to win the match. David was good, but not spectacular, in the game. He did get a lot of talk from the English commentators, though. They mentioned his goal scoring record for Canada a couple of times.

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Weird game. Gent could barely touch the ball in the first half, but only trailed by one at halftime. Second half was completely opposite, with Gent dominating and getting three to win the match. David was good, but not spectacular, in the game. He did get a lot of talk from the English commentators, though. They mentioned his goal scoring record for Canada a couple of times.

Every game that Gent play is kinda weird. They can be brilliant for periods and then awful. They are not great defensively and often struggle to keep possession but it seems to be working for them!

8 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I’m avoiding spoilers here so I haven’t looked at the new comments, is this game not on DAZN for some reason? I only see the other games from today. 

It was on DAZN, it was one of those “double ups” where they show one game and another right after on the same “channel” (for lack of a better term)

9 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I’m avoiding spoilers here so I haven’t looked at the new comments, is this game not on DAZN for some reason? I only see the other games from today. 

Wow! You're in for a treat. You don't get many 11-goal thrillers in world football anymore!

Sorry. I don't actually know the answer to your question. I was able to watch it live in Australia, though. 🙂