Jonathan David

Vince193

Selfishly I’d love to see him at OL, our front line has some serious injury problems and it looks like we may be selling Dembele as well... I think David plays much more like an OL player than Dembele anyway, and is clearly comfortable switching in between any of the front 4 positions on the fly. Yes Cherki is coming through now, but the way OL sell players off we don’t know how long he will even be around, and we have a rotating door of forwards anyway. 

As far as David is concerned, couldn’t think of a better situation. He would play, he would fit in, and if he’s relatively successful he will be sold to a bigger club. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree that this is the time for a major move, as Belgium to France does not justify 20 million. It might justify 12, but not more, since the resale after this would be negligible, unless he emerges as a major world-class player.

The price tag is too high for anything but one of the top four leagues. Or else let him stay until the summer. 

Your completely correct I think.  €20 million is not “develop and sell” money- it’s “paid to perform” money.   I don’t think it’s very often that teams would pay that much to risk being able to sell later at a higher price.  Only the Big 4 leagues or PSG can afford something like this.

Its honestly amazing that David is in this caliber of player this quickly.  

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree that this is the time for a major move, as Belgium to France does not justify 20 million. It might justify 12, but not more, since the resale after this would be negligible, unless he emerges as a major world-class player.

The price tag is too high for anything but one of the top four leagues. Or else let him stay until the summer. 

I’m not trying to start a fight about this, but it’s just not true. You actually Don’t need to look back far to discover this. 

Lyon is a unique club, and that’s why I think the move makes sense. Dembele was brought in around 20mil from Celtic, an easy place for strikers to score goals. He’s scored for Lyon but hasn’t been our best player by any means, I’d say he’s not even really been a great fit... and he looks to be on the move for $40+ a year later...

Lyon is at the inbetween level... fans demand winning, or at least attempting to compete with psg and in the champions league, so they have to spend money. But at the same time they need to sell to make money. So they bring in players all the time who are a lot closer to the finished product, and then actually give them the minutes to succeed and make a profit. 

David is younger, plays in a better league than Dembele did when he signed, and is more of a fit for Lyon than Dembele is. 

(I’m a Lyon fan, but not a fan of watching Dembele, in case you couldn’t tell.....a far cry from watching Mariano) 

edit:cleared up the SPL confusion

Edited by BradMack

8 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

However I don't think they would make that purchase without first selling some of the players they already have.

Benfica actually just sold striker Raul De Tomas for 20 million to Espanyol (he was a complete dud for us). Benfica is really thin up front right now, it would make sense to go after David.

6 hours ago, BradMack said:

I’m not trying to start a fight about this, but it’s just not true. You actually Don’t need to look back far to discover this. 

Lyon is a unique club, and that’s why I think the move makes sense. Dembele was brought in around 20mil from Celtic, an easy place for strikers to score goals. He’s scored for Lyon but hasn’t been our best player by any means, I’d say he’s not even really been a great fit... and he looks to be on the move for $40+ a year later...

Lyon is at the inbetween level... fans demand winning, or at least attempting to compete with psg and in the champions league, so they have to spend money. But at the same time they need to sell to make money. So they bring in players all the time who are a lot closer to the finished product, and then actually give them the minutes to succeed and make a profit. 

David is younger, plays in a better league than Dembele, and is more of a fit for Lyon than Dembele is. 

(I’m a Lyon fan, but not a fan of watching Dembele, in case you couldn’t tell.....a far cry from watching Mariano) 

I'm a fan of Lille and they would also be a good fit because, like OL, they have an excellent reputation for developing young players and then selling them for a boat load of money (Pepe).  Also, 20M Euros is not an outlandish amount to spend on a good young prospect.  Lille paid 25M for Renato Sanches and he was a complete dud at Bayern Munich.  While his form has improved as of late, 25M for Sanches to me would be far more of a risk than 20M for David.

7 hours ago, BradMack said:

David is younger, plays in a better league than Dembele, and is more of a fit for Lyon than Dembele is. 

The Belgian league is not better than the French league, come on man lol.

Just now, BradMack said:

Meant when Dembele was purchased, so the SPL. I watch the Ligue 1 every week and am under no illusions 😅.... Gent isn’t too far off the pace though, at least for the mid tier teams. 

Sorry!  I see what you meant now.  I do agree that Gent isn't far off pace, they would comfortably be mid table there IMO.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The Belgian league is not better than the French league, come on man lol.

Belgium is better than Scotland, although in my opinion Gent and Celtic are pretty even talent-wise despite Celtic being the "bigger" club.

Swedish right back Lustig was a mainstay at Celtic and he's now at Gent and always plays.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Belgium is better than Scotland, although in my opinion Gent and Celtic are pretty even talent-wise despite Celtic being the "bigger" club.

Swedish right back Lustig was a mainstay at Celtic and he's now at Gent and always plays.

I think this is fair, however it’s definitely easier to look good at Celtic. They dominate almost every game they play so their strikers put up goals for fun...

Gent is one of the top teams in Belgium, but the bottom teams are still very competitive and there are probably 4 or 5 “top clubs” in the competition.

It’s a better level to take talent from for a club like Lyon, who should be dominating about 50% of their matches in the league, so players will shine, but also are used to playing attractive football in really fast paced even level games, and still keeping the same style when playing superior opponents in the Champions league. 

Apologies for turning this forum a bit sideways here. I just really hope we get David. Best move for the player and we could very much use him. Especially having him in the front four playing the Fekir role as our 10, Memphis up top, Reine-Adelaide on the right and Aouar on the left, and everyone being able to flow around and switch position to some extent, it’s a really tasty thought. 

9 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I think this is fair, however it’s definitely easier to look good at Celtic. They dominate almost every game they play so their strikers put up goals for fun...

Gent is one of the top teams in Belgium, but the bottom teams are still very competitive and there are probably 4 or 5 “top clubs” in the competition.

It’s a better level to take talent from for a club like Lyon, who should be dominating about 50% of their matches in the league, so players will shine, but also are used to playing attractive football in really fast paced even level games, and still keeping the same style when playing superior opponents in the Champions league. 

Apologies for turning this forum a bit sideways here. I just really hope we get David. Best move for the player and we could very much use him. Especially having him in the front four playing the Fekir role as our 10, Memphis up top, Reine-Adelaide on the right and Aouar on the left, and everyone being able to flow around and switch position to some extent, it’s a really tasty thought. 

I am not a Lyon fan but all of that sounds very excited and if he goes there Lyon will become my French team, no question!

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

Nah Celtic and Rangers would both top gent imo. Brugge would be a closer match for sure.

7 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Nah Celtic and Rangers would both top gent imo. Brugge would be a closer match for sure.

I too would give the edge to a Celtic or Rangers over Gent, due to historical performance, but as @Ruffian says, this particular iteration of Gent is stronger than usual, so for me such a match up could go either way with no clear favorite. How you wanna lean is up to you.

Compare that to Gent vs Roma, where the Belgians are considered the underdogs quite clearly. That's not the case with Gent vs Celtic in 2019-2020.

Well the Belgium league is at least competitive. 

Can't deny the stature of Rangers in Celtic in the footballing world. I think David has maybe had a better path to development in Belgium though and playing against better opposition more consistently on average in comparison to what he would have done in Scotland. 4 different teams have won the league in the past 5 years for a start. I think being somewhat under the radar isn't a bad thing either. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:29 PM, BradMack said:

Selfishly I’d love to see him at OL, our front line has some serious injury problems and it looks like we may be selling Dembele as well... I think David plays much more like an OL player than Dembele anyway, and is clearly comfortable switching in between any of the front 4 positions on the fly. Yes Cherki is coming through now, but the way OL sell players off we don’t know how long he will even be around, and we have a rotating door of forwards anyway. 

As far as David is concerned, couldn’t think of a better situation. He would play, he would fit in, and if he’s relatively successful he will be sold to a bigger club. 

I think one of the plans was always a ligue 1 type of team in France after Belgium.  Easy life/culture transition and footy perspective similar style of play + major focus on player development. Ligue 1 arguably one of, if not top league in world for popping out talent and developing players under 25 years old to transfer out to massive clubs for $.

The thing is, I think most can agree, he has been massively exceeding expectation in Belgium, so really depends on his price tag at this point and what the expectations are from the owners etc.

Edited by apbsmith

Seems at the Belgian League Gala Awards, he was voted fifth for top player and he lost out on Most Promising Player (or something to that effect) of the season award to Yari Verschaeren of Anderlecht.

Coach Jess Thorup said, "It was very nice to see all colleagues next to a competition, but of course the whole of KAA Gent hoped that Jonathan David  would become the Promise of the Year . Unfortunately it should not be. Jonathan is mentally strong but if you believe that you can win something, perhaps you have already thought about what you want to say in your word of thanks and can dedicate that prize to your deceased mom, it is of course a big disappointment. He talked to him for a while and also the day after, he didn't quite understand that he finished fifth in the ranking but did not win   Promising Player of the Year. Very unfortunate, but that is now in the past. Now he just has to talk back with his feet and I'm sure Jonathan will do that. "

: http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/475673/ik-heb-met-jonathan-gepraat-hij-begreep-het-niet

Edited by nolando

I'll post the video once I find a link but first goal was a tap in from a ball squared from the right side of the box and second was a redirection of a cross from the left wing as David timed his run perfectly from the right of the box. 

He's crazy good in finding pockets of space inside the box. So many of his runs are wasted because they're not being recognized or they're the player with the ball isn't reacting quickly enough.  If Gent had a half decent play maker like prime Victor Vasquez, they'ed be in Champions League.

Second goal:

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/27545/goal-kaa-gent-3-1-moeskroen-77-david

First goal:

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/27544/goal-kaa-gent-2-1-moeskroen-74-david

Edited by Snowcrash