Jonathan David

Vince193

Another interview with a FoxSports journalist based in London apparently.  Nothing groundbreaking but a bit about the national team.

https://foxsports1340am.com/exclusive-kaa-gent-and-canada-star-jonathan-david-anticipates-uefa-europa-league-round-of-32-showdown-against-serie-a-giants-as-roma/

"John (Herdman) as well has given me the confidence to go out and play my game since my first selection (with the Canada national team). There is nothing more rewarding then the National team coach feeling comfortable with a young player to do the job he expects. Especially playing for your nation trying to qualify for a World Cup. Being able to adapt to different positions has allowed me to help the team and allowing the coach to change my role when needed. I am very glad to be able to play for my country at the highest level and I thank the coach for his confidence."

Lunch time transfer talk for you. 

https://sporza.be/nl/2020/01/08/ivan-de-witte-_zelfs-bij-20-miljoen-is-transfer-van-david-in-ja/

Interview with Ivan De Witte, Gent chairman.

"An important question for AA Gent supporters: will the club succeed in keeping strong holders such as Jonathan David and Roman Jaremchuk on board this winter? "We are relatively certain that they will stay," says Ivan De Witte.

“If possible, we want to keep them with us next year as well. They form the backbone of AA Gent and if we can add anything else we will have a really very strong team. "

“If there is now a club with 20 million euros for David, then we will of course think about it. But to be honest: even in that scenario I think that a transfer in January is out of the question. "

21 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Reports in Portugal say that FC Porto had a bid for David rejected already in this transfer window (amount not mentioned) and that Ajax and Benfica are also closely monitoring him.

Any of those three would be a great next step for him. I would love to see him at Lyon too. 

4 hours ago, Colliedor said:

I really don't think Porto have the money to get him if they are expecting something around 20 mil. Man I wish we did though.

They probably offered about half of that!   Which is why it was turned down.

They should think about the future and try selling Aboubakar or Marega and use that money to help make the David deal.   

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

They probably offered about half of that!   Which is why it was turned down.

They should think about the future and try selling Aboubakar or Marega and use that money to help make the David deal.   

I wish. Especially Marega, but for whatever reason Sergio is in love with this guy.

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

I said it into existence haha! Lyon would be a great spot, as Dembele (overrated) is about to leave and Depay is out for the year. He should get a real shot at starting and be allowed to play through mistakes 

Happy to see Lyon officially linked to him now. They are my preference of the 4 clubs most recently linked.

Of those 4, Lyon is the one I would expect to spend the money needed to get David.

My second favorite was Ajax, but Lyon would not only be more likely due to the cash they'd be willing to invest, but the league is stronger and that's better for David.

I was wondering what happened to Depay. That would really open an opportunity for David if he's not returning.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Of those 4, Lyon is the one I would expect to spend the money needed to get David.

While you're correct that Benfica have usually been unwilling to spend a lot on transfers, they've made a crazy amount of money over the last 5-7 years selling players themselves and have shown they may be willing to spend some of it if they see a good investment opportunity.  In fact they just recently paid €20 million to sign of Julian Weigl from Borussia Dortmund! 

However I don't think they would make that purchase without first selling some of the players they already have.

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Considering David's potential price tag, I'm still leaning towards a Bundesliga team buying him. 

Plus it honestly might help seeing what his teammate/pal Davies is doing in that league.

I agree that this is the time for a major move, as Belgium to France does not justify 20 million. It might justify 12, but not more, since the resale after this would be negligible, unless he emerges as a major world-class player.

The price tag is too high for anything but one of the top four leagues. Or else let him stay until the summer.