Vince193

Jonathan David

12 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If we are talking Euros they have stated they will not sell him even for that.  

Of course they will sell him. My guess would be a little lower, considering he hasn't been tested on the highest level. 12-16 mil woud probably set a record for Gent. 

13 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Of course they will sell him. My guess would be a little lower, considering he hasn't been tested on the highest level. 12-16 mil woud probably set a record for Gent. 

I don't think WestHamCanadianinOxford was claiming they wouldn't sell David. He was just saying Gent won't let go of him for 30 million Euros. It's going to take more money than that.

Jonathan David content from recent interview with Gent manager:

An attacking player who does his defensive work is Jonathan David

THORUP: 'He is the one who covers the most meters in nine of the ten games. Jonathan walks back, chooses a good position in the event of a loss and puts pressure. Many players around him can still learn something from that. It is primarily a mental issue. "

Did David surprise you in his development?

THORUP: "Yes. When I arrived, he didn't play. While I immediately got a wow feeling during training. Because he was on training every time he came close to the sixteen meter, threatened to score. Then you wonder how you can fit in such a young player. Because what someone shows on training, he must be able to compete. For me, Jonathan is more of a number ten that runs between the lines and gets into the sixteen meters, than the attacker who holds the ball with his back to goal. '

Last season there was a lot of discussion because you let him stand for weeks while he did not score and the pressure was great to get results. How much credit do you give young players? Were you so sure that you made the right decision?

THORUP: "Yes. If you want to see how someone reacts or develops, it is not enough to let them play two games or to take part three times fifteen minutes. You have to give him a chance at least five, six to ten games in a row. Only then can you draw conclusions and draw up a plan. Jonathan is someone who, if you give him something, actually does something with it. "

There was an interview with either a Gent scout or coach from last year, I think,  and the person said that he was surprised how well David did on the beep fitness test given his body shape.

Assisted on second Gent goal to make it 2-0 before being subbed off.  Collects a ball at midfield on a turnover and pulls away from his man and runs at goal with forwards on each side of him. At the top of the box, he splits the defense with a pass that sends the forward on the left in clear against the keeper for the goal.

An assist and then subbed along with the goal scorer. Gent in control most of the match.

The assist:

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/26348/goal-kaa-gent-2-0-waasland-beveren-66-depoitre

Nice run, draws too many defenders to him and then makes it easy. 

They win 2-0 and are up to third, right now. 

Face Wolfsburg on Thursday.  John Brooks was on the bench today, back from injury.  Maybe David gets to go up against one of the so, so many players the USA have in top 5 leagues. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

54 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

An assist and then subbed along with the goal scorer. Gent in control most of the match.

The assist:

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/26348/goal-kaa-gent-2-0-waasland-beveren-66-depoitre

Nice run, draws too many defenders to him and then makes it easy. 

They win 2-0 and are up third, right now. 

Face Wolfsburg on Thursday.  John Brooks was on the bench today, back from injury.  Maybe David gets to go up against one of the so, so many players the USA have in top 5 leagues. 

I love how when David is running with the ball his head is up almost the whole time. Such a talented player

About MLS:

My only goal was Europe. I would not say that I was begged to sign with MLS but I was strongly advised to do so. However, I did not see the benefit of going through this step. I would have opted for the US championship only if I had failed in Europe.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

About MLS:

My only goal was Europe. I would not say that I was begged to sign with MLS but I was strongly advised to do so. However, I did not see the benefit of going through this step. I would have opted for the US championship only if I had failed in Europe.

I suppose he means MLS and they did not miss the "L" in USL championship lol

In Belgium call leagues like that MLS would be the US Championship like the Premier League would be the English Championship and Ligue 1 the French Championship. It's nothing surprising here. 

It has clearly been the right choice so far.

I personally feel, in general, the MLS is more geared towards 23-29 year old players and of course legends coming back.

It's the win now mentality for this, which is fine from a club perspective. The lack of playing time and young talent under 22 I see wasted away on the bench and not getting minutes when they probably deserves them, does suck though. From a club perspective I get it, from a youth development it sucks.

If they grind it out in MLS you see the gains guys like Osorio and Laryea have made, but at the same time.... it does make you wonder.

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

About MLS:

The key part of the interview for CMNT fans...

I'll probably leave Ghent at the end of the season but it's up to the club to say what they want to do with me. "